Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your 2019 Luxury Hotel Year in Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
- St Regis Vommuli - Maldives - 9/10: Beautiful modern overwater villas, great food, and superb use of the butler service. Hard to fault. Private pools were a bit small and too cold, but who needs a pool when you have a perfectly calm ocean at your doorstep?
^^^
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
My travels to luxury hotels are a bit light compared to others, but unfortunately sometimes I have to slum it at business hotels. 😆

Anyway, here are some standouts (ratings are out of 10, with 10 being the best).

Mandarin Oriental New York - (10) Everything was excellent at this hotel. From welcome amenities, to room service, kids offering, to driver service, etc., nothing missed a beat. Location is also spectacular. This would be me go-to hotel next time back in NYC.

Conrad New York - (5) Lots of service issues here from check-in (couldn’t get a room with a bathtub), to breakfast (an hour wait, but we couldn’t go back to room or lose our spot despite putting our name and info down, then running out of food at buffet without refills), to snafus with a birthday cake, and other issues on premises - like having unsupervised areas of the hotel get overrun by teens making out on couches. No service recovery even when complaining - asked for management but no one got back to us until after our stay.

JW Marriott Hong Kong - (9) Booked this hotel last minute as a transit hotel since we were getting into Hong Kong late at night after our international flight. Upgraded to partial harbourview as a lowly Bonvoy gold. Furnishings appear to have been updated within the past couple years. Quick and easy room service (expensive but good hainanese chicken rice), good location within Pacific Place Mall. Generally a pleasant stay. Did not opt in for lounge access since we were only there for one night.

Conrad Hong Kong - (8) was easily one of my favorite hotels in Hong Kong. While the rooms are in need of a refresh, I love the lounge access that come with Hilton Diamond status. The quality of the offering has declined over the years, but the lounge is always buzzing with activity so that does make some sense. I did knock a point or two off for getting scolded in the lounge after trying to take a single fruit tart back to my room. We were getting tired due to jet lag and the short waitstaff literally stopped me in my tracks and asked for the plate back. That’s was absurd - and in all my years at this property, this has never happened before. Maybe a simple warning and not making a scene would have been good since I’ve stayed at this hotel maybe a dozen times without this rule before. The breakfast buffet is also not as good as prior years.

Marco Polo HongKong - (8) We switched to the Marco Polo after cancelling reservations at the Peninsula. There were some recent protests along Salisbury Road that sent tear gas over there so we wanted to move elsewhere. We chose the Marco Polo for its proximity to Harbour City Mall. Location was great - went shopping, took the ferry, Uber to Elements Mall (Sky 100 observation deck). It was also close to SilverCord food court where they had cheap Hainanese chicken rice and Kaya toast. Booked a room package that gave us free breakfast buffet (decent selection). We did not opt for lounge access because it had a 13+ requirement and my son was not 13. Room was a bit dated and beds were very hard and uncomfortable. Holiday displays were also a bit meh - looked like they may have been great 15 years ago. Had the buffet dinner at sister property Gateway and got a discount for being a hotel guest of the group.

InterContinental Hong Kong - (9) There are 2 things we always love about the InterContinental Hong Kong - the view and Nobu. Booked the harbourview room and got upgraded to a deluxe harbourview through Virtuoso. Having the extra room was nice, but the deluxe views are slightly more angled than the normal harbourview. Breakfast buffet was hands down the best out of all the ones we tried. Also, there is now direct access to the new K11 Musea mall and the avenue of the stars finally opened back up (after being closed since 2013). Docked a point for the nickel and diming. They wanted to charge $100 usd for children over 3 years old because they are not included in the package rate. We have never heard of this charge before. We asked for an alternate billing method since the kid doesn’t eat fancy food anyway and maybe drank one soda - they obliged. But I would definitely check with a manager before saying next time.

Disneyland Hotel - (9) Kingdom Club lounge is a must here. While the food offerings weren’t great, the personalized service was amazing. We were invited to do a craft after checking in (club guests), there’s a shuttle to the park (all guests), fast passes for the park, etc. There is also an indoor pool. The only negative was they don’t tend to refill the evening food selection often at the lounge. There were some crowding issues at the lounge, but they didn’t mind if you took food back to your room. The mini bar inside your room was also free for club guests, which was nice.

Upcoming - Peninsula Chicago - ? Will be staying here next week.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:01 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
A quiet year due to pregnancy and having a baby.

Soho House Berlin - B I like the vibes of the Soho House hotels in terms of decor and atmosphere. The bar and restaurant is always lively and fun with a good crowd. The roof top pool has lovely views but here in January it was too cold to use. I do find the service in these hotels lacking sometimes though I like the extra touches such cocktails made in the room in the evening. Our room was gorgeous and spacious, we were randomly upgraded to a large apartment but there was a funny smell unfortunately.

Ett Hem Stockholm - A Small boutique home away from home style hotel. We loved the intimate service and beautiful design. Breakfast was a highlight! Only problem was maybe the location? Bit far away from things.

Le Reserve Geneva - D I wrote a trip report on the hotel, we left after one night as the interior were horrible, views not as expected and some of the food lacking. The Chinese restaurant was good though and I have no problem with the service.

Four Seasons Geneva - A We left Le Reserve to come here. The hotel is stunning, beautiful design. Loved the Michelin star Italian restaurant and the roof top Japanese restaurant. Great location, right by the lake and near the town. Attention to detail was excellent.

Belmond Grand Hotel Timeo, Sicily A – Stunning old school classic hotel. Though we were disappointed with the first room we were given and moved. The second room was much bigger and better though both were junior suites I’m not sure why they’re sold as the same. We loved the views, balcony and garden. Service is excellent and the restaurant was our favourite that we tried on the trip. There’s a free shuttle to sister hotel Belmond San’Andrea located on the beach. We felt Timeo was the better of the two.

Babington House, Somerset, UK A – I’m a big fan of the Soho House hotel group as with Berlin, I love the décor, room and vibes here. Great hearty food but as above service isn’t always brilliant.

Lucknam Park C – I’ve stayed in a lot of UK country house hotels and Lucknam Park for me was just ok. Interiors, food, etc don’t live up to my favourites.

Nobu Ibiza Bay A – We came here as our first holiday with our baby with him at 10 days old. It was the perfect choice as it was a short flight from our UK home and the weather was hot but not too hot. Lovely large room, two pools (one adult one family), two restaurants. Beautiful décor, views and service.

Soho Farmhouse, Cotswolds, UK B – Still my favourite UK hotel this is my 8th time staying. I find the service and attention to detail get worse every time I come! They’ve expanded the place with more rooms and restaurants and tbh this can only be a bad thing as the personal touch is gone. However, we came here with our baby and had lovely time. There are areas designated as child free but that didn’t alter our enjoyment.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer

JW Marriott Hong Kong - (9) Booked this hotel last minute as a transit hotel since we were getting into Hong Kong late at night after our international flight. Upgraded to partial harbourview as a lowly Bonvoy gold. Furnishings appear to have been updated within the past couple years. Quick and easy room service (expensive but good hainanese chicken rice), good location within Pacific Place Mall. Generally a pleasant stay. Did not opt in for lounge access since we were only there for one night.

Upcoming - Peninsula Chicago - ? Will be staying here next week.
Chicago Pen is great. If you thought the JW HKG was a 9, Chicago Pen will be a 12! I'd say the JW HKG is more of a "7." The location is nice, but the rooms are tired and mediocre. Have stayed there a number of times but consider it more of a utilitarian options than a luxury one.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by SilverSpoon

Ett Hem Stockholm - A Small boutique home away from home style hotel. We loved the intimate service and beautiful design. Breakfast was a highlight! Only problem was maybe the location? Bit far away from things.
Everyone continues to RAVE about this place. The concept does not at all sound appealing to me, but I will try it in 2020 and judge for myself, hope it's as great as you all think it is!
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Everyone continues to RAVE about this place. The concept does not at all sound appealing to me, but I will try it in 2020 and judge for myself, hope it's as great as you all think it is!
It’s not a five star business hotel or a grand dame or a resort. It’s more like the home you wish you had, so expectations should be different.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong - B+ - I can see why some people love it, but probably not a return visit for me. Great: Location, F&B, housekeeping. Good: Service (but locals vs foreigners are treated differently). Not-so-good: Not a fan of the classic design, but totally subjective.

The Ritz Carlton Hong Kong - A- - Reliable HK pick, as long as you can stand the location. Great: Service, view, hardware. Good: F&B. Not-so-good: Location, the lift (it's fast for the amount of floor it covers, but the time required to get to the room adds up over time).

The Ritz Carlton Kyoto - A+ - Best stay of the year. Great: Service, location, F&B, housekeeping, hardware, activities (especially the bike/hiking tours).

St. Regis Osaka - B - Everything is basically good, but nothing really stands out as great. It's a pleasant hotel in Osaka; nothing more, or less.

Prince Gallery Tokyo - B+ -> B - Great: Hardware, location (not everyone will agree with this one), view. Good: Service, housekeeping. Odd: F&B. Without the access to the lounge and the diminished breakfast offering brings down the hotel a peg.

Four Seasons Seoul - B+ - Great: Hardware, location, Korean sauna, F&B*. Good: Service*. Not-so-good: Cost cutting, toiletry. Service was a big miss on the first visit, but vastly improved to be great for the second stay. F&B and club lounge has seen noticeable cost cutting for the second visit though. And please drop the dove-smelling, made in China toiletry.

W Taipei - A- - Normally don't consider W luxury, but slim pickings in Taipei. It's really not so bad if you can get past the decor. Great: Location, service, view, happy hour. Good: F&B. Not-so-good: Neon. Everywhere.

St. Regis Bangkok - B/B- - Good hotel, but breakfast seems to be in decline, upgrades stingier compared to other BKK competitors, and general upkeep issues. Otherwise, great location and view (especially the Caroline Astor suite). Happy hour drinks, service and appetizer need serious improvement.

Park Hyatt Bangkok - B - A truly niche opinion of the property on FT: I think it's neither a great or a horrible property. Inoffensive hardware, pretty good location, decent service, unmemorable food.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:30 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by kevincure
Knini Paati, middle of nowhere Suriname, B+. Two hours in a motorized canoe downriver from the end of the road to this camp in the jungle. Definitely not high end luxury, but perfectly acceptable private rooms and a pet macaw. Not a bad option at all.
Just curious. Were you aware of Kabalebo in Suriname? It's widely considered the absolute best jungle lodge in the entire Guiana Shield region (save, perhaps, for Iwokrama River Lodge.) I'm planning to visit there within the next few years, so I'm wondering if there is a better option that I'm not aware of. Thanks.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dave510
Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong - B+ - I can see why some people love it, but probably not a return visit for me. Great: Location, F&B, housekeeping. Good: Service (but locals vs foreigners are treated differently). Not-so-good: Not a fan of the classic design, but totally subjective.

The Ritz Carlton Hong Kong - A- - Reliable HK pick, as long as you can stand the location. Great: Service, view, hardware. Good: F&B. Not-so-good: Location, the lift (it's fast for the amount of floor it covers, but the time required to get to the room adds up over time).

The Ritz Carlton Kyoto - A+ - Best stay of the year. Great: Service, location, F&B, housekeeping, hardware, activities (especially the bike/hiking tours).

St. Regis Osaka - B - Everything is basically good, but nothing really stands out as great. It's a pleasant hotel in Osaka; nothing more, or less.

Prince Gallery Tokyo - B+ -> B - Great: Hardware, location (not everyone will agree with this one), view. Good: Service, housekeeping. Odd: F&B. Without the access to the lounge and the diminished breakfast offering brings down the hotel a peg.

Four Seasons Seoul - B+ - Great: Hardware, location, Korean sauna, F&B*. Good: Service*. Not-so-good: Cost cutting, toiletry. Service was a big miss on the first visit, but vastly improved to be great for the second stay. F&B and club lounge has seen noticeable cost cutting for the second visit though. And please drop the dove-smelling, made in China toiletry.
It's a brand standard to use Lorenzo Villoresi. FS Kyoto uses the same stuff too. I'm willing to bet the new FS Tokyo Otemachi will as well.
Totally agree about the lounge. It wasn't as good as it was nearer to opening.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
It's a brand standard to use Lorenzo Villoresi. FS Kyoto uses the same stuff too. I'm willing to bet the new FS Tokyo Otemachi will as well.
Totally agree about the lounge. It wasn't as good as it was nearer to opening.
Ah, was not aware that's the case. All the other FS I've been to did not use Lorenzo Villoresi.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, was not aware that's the case. All the other FS I've been to did not use Lorenzo Villoresi.
What part of the F&B did you think went downhill?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:42 am
Aman Contributor Badge

A bit of a mix between luxury hotels and villas ++ this year:

Bangkok: The Siam
Stayed in one of the villas. Loved the bathroom and bed plus layout. Did not use a lot of the outside area - lots of mosquitos. Pool only OK. Service excellent.

Bali: Fella Villas
A fantastic Airbnb find. A great villa with wonderful garden and pool and a fastastic maid. Extremely cheap compared to a luxury hotel and well located. Hope to be back.

Bali: VIlla Sungai Gold
A fantastic villa. Big plus for the villa itself and the service. Minus for the location (OK for us since we did not plan to venture out a lot, but it is really a bit in the middle of nowhere). Food very good, but a bit rigid in terms of flexibility in ordering (had to order all meals for the next day evening before).

Bali: Amankila
Will forever be my favourite hotel in the world. This was our 3rd stay. Had to end the stay early because my father at home passed away. Very sad, but handled excellently by the team. Food, villa and excursions we enjoyed before leaving was excellent. Have to go back.

Praiano (Amalfi coast): La Barbera b&b
A luxury b&b with amazing service, breakfast and views. Great location away from the hustle and bustle of the other cities.

Nerano (Amalfi coast): Taverna del Capitano
No luxury hotel at all, but it`s location close to some of the best Amalfi coast restaurants and beach clubs made this stay very memorable. A wonderful, charming bay full of locals and all you need within walking distance.

Massa Lubrense (not too far from Sorrento): Villa Bianca
An absolutely amazing villa full of art and design furniture. Unfortunately too many technical problems during our stay (aircondition fail, no warm water, low water pressure etc), but the villa itself is a dream if they would fix the basics.
Fliar likes this.

Last edited by Musken; Dec 25, 2019 at 3:51 am
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:19 am

Intercon, Osaka, (8/10)
- my go to hotel in Osaka. Located on the upper part of an office building with nice view of Osaka cityscape
- located right next to Osaka Station with easy access to public transport, shopping and restaurants
- Club Floor with a nice lounge and excellent service

Grand Hyatt, Tokyo, (7/10)
- haven’t find a favorite hotel in Tokyo yet but decided to try GH Club Floor as it was close to my restaurants reservations
- Club Lounge not very high up like RC Tokyo or IC Osaka but surprisingly still a good view over the nearby buildings
- despite its age, room decent size and doesn’t look dated. Modern comfortable design
- located next to Roppongi Hills, Nishi Azabu and very convenient to many of the restaurants I frequent

Prince Gallery, Tokyo, (6/10)
- tried this to find my fav in Tokyo but have no reason to return
- room is fine and quite a good view as it is located at the top of a building
- club lounge was a disappointment as it was crowded and food/beverage were not attractive
- concierge not very helpful in booking restaurants and took some time to respond
- nearby area has quite a number of restaurants but not the fine dining type i enjoy

Maki No Oto, Kanazawa, (6.5/10)
- tiny hotel with two rooms located in old district
- comfortable room overlooking garden on first floor. Not very large but has everything
- walking distance to garden and art museum
- given proximity to old district, feels very tranquil and serene

Tawaraya, Kyoto, (6/10)
- Taka is one of the largest rooms and very comfortable
- food and service are only so so and not very memorable

Ritz Carlton, Kyoto, (8/10)
- my go to hotel in Kyoto
- nice room though not that large. I do like the view of the Kamogawa river which is so peaceful
- location has grown on me and walking distance to most restaurants I want to go
- concierge is excellent and always respond quickly. Helped me with many restaurants, moss temple, ...
- best Japanese breakfast out of all the luxury hotels in Kyoto

The Siam, Bangkok, (7/10)
- city resort located right next to the river
- a bit far away from other places and then pay transfer make the city a bit more approachable
- room has very high ceiling and nicely decorated though the room itself is not that large
- there isn’t really a spot inside the room that feels natural to just sit down and relax
- while I like the hotel, not sure I would choose Bangkok as a location to relax
- food and spa both decent

Banyan Tree, Koh Samui, (8/10)
- don’t really do much sun and beach vacation these days but I would gladly come back to this one
- villa at the top of the mountain has great view of the resort and the gulf in front
- room window opens directly to pool and make lounging around easy
- food and spa both quite good
- only downside is hotel is quite large and roads quite steep. Need to call buggy for moving around

Aman, Kyoto, (6/10)
- newly opened ryokan like resort in Kyoto near Golden Pavillion. Not much in that area aside from a few small temples
- lobby poorly designed as there is no staff there to provide assistance. Both during luggage drop off and check in, there was no one around and no way to find someone to help. Service was good otherwise from drying my raincoat to expediting my checkout
- beautiful grounds during red leaves season. Very relaxing to walk around and nice to find a spot and relax with a book. But when it is cold or rainy, there are no indoor areas other than your room and the restaurant
- spa has both indoor and outdoor onsen
- dinner is ok in the Living Pavillion but didn’t get to try the Japanese restaurant
- Japanese breakfast ok but not as good as RC or PH
- if I want a ryokan in Kyoto, Hoshinoya is still my first choice

Park Hyatt, Kyoto, (8/10)
- Newly opened located near Ninenzaka and Kiyamizudera. Too busy during the day but nice at night. Nice to walk around Maruyama park. Good city hotel alternative to RC
- upgraded to Ninenzaka House which is decent size, though a bit small for the 2nd best suite, and good view with windows running along two sides. Room not that high up and view from some of the rooms in the upper part must be better
- large bath tub
- lobby sightly crammed but very nice lounge and reading areas upstairs
- Japanese breakfast better than Aman but not as good as RC
- bar has one of the best views in the hotel and what a nice place for a pre or post dinner drinks
Fliar likes this.

Last edited by HKTraveler; Dec 25, 2019 at 10:44 am
Old Dec 25, 2019, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
What part of the F&B did you think went downhill?
Of the 2 food outlets (3 if including lounge) I could compare, breakfast spread seemed smaller and ingredients felt slightly lesser quality. Yu Yuan’s service was good, the food (particularly the duck) did not feel Michelin Star worthy.

As an aside, am I the only one who thinks Charles H. could turn down the music volume by a notch, or 3?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of the 2 food outlets (3 if including lounge) I could compare, breakfast spread seemed smaller and ingredients felt slightly lesser quality. Yu Yuan’s service was good, the food (particularly the duck) did not feel Michelin Star worthy.

As an aside, am I the only one who thinks Charles H. could turn down the music volume by a notch, or 3?
They probably have slashed quality from the breakfast buffet. Most people wouldn't even notice.
I don't even think Charles H needs any music at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.