Wiki Posts
Search

St Tropez—Cap Ferrat vs Cheval Blanc vs Reserve

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
St Tropez—Cap Ferrat vs Cheval Blanc vs Reserve

I’m planning a trip to St Tropez and am having trouble deciding between these three. For Cap Ferrat I’m looking at the Pinewood Suite which should score me an upgrade to the next category. Would be looking for a similarly sized room at the other two.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:16 am

Do you want to go to St Tropez or to Cap Ferrat? Cap Ferrat is over 2 hours drive from St Tropez. So if you need/want to be in St Tropez, not ideal.
offerendum likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:21 am
Original Poster

I should have been clearer. I would like to do both, and I'm not opposed to splitting my stay, although I'd prefer not to do three separate hotels. I will have a car for the duration of the trip, which is looking to be one to two weeks.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
The Four Seasons Cap Ferrat is one of the best hotels in the world. Stunning location-perched on a peninsula with ocean front views, exceptional amenities-olympic sized pool over looking the ocean, rooms gorgeously decorated, very good dining, and a team who just cannot do enough to make you happy. We went for Thanksgiving a couple years ago and the house keeping director hand made Christmas ornaments of dolphins which play in the waters in front of the hotel, with the kids names embroidered on them. I recommend you go in off season. The weather is still lovely and there are no crowds or traffic.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:36 am
Original Poster

This is exactly what I was thinking. Looking to go to Cap Ferrat in mid-April, just before high season (and high season rates). The only wrinkle is that La Reserve doesn't open then, and Cheval Blanc opens in mid-May. I was hoping to do 2 of the 3, just not all 3, and ideally not all 3 when there are hoards of tourists.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:17 am

We love FS Cap Ferrat and a few summers ago spent 2 weeks in one of their Pool Suites. It was fantastic! For me Cap Ferrat was a lot more appealing than staying in St Tropez. St Tropez like Cannes is way too much of a party town for us!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Interesting. So seems like a strong case for splitting between La Reserve and Cap Ferrat given that the former is not in St Tropez proper, whereas the Cheval Blanc might be too party central.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:24 am

Might I recommend having a look at this year’s April weather in that area ... we were there, as well as Tunisia and then Italy, and it was quite cool and rainy.

Not sure what the “weather mood” is that you’re after. We enjoyed our time - had a stellar meal at Mirazur, for example - but if it is sun you’re after you might be hard-pressed to find much.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Might I recommend having a look at this year’s April weather in that area ... we were there, as well as Tunisia and then Italy, and it was quite cool and rainy.

Not sure what the “weather mood” is that you’re after. We enjoyed our time - had a stellar meal at Mirazur, for example - but if it is sun you’re after you might be hard-pressed to find much.

This is exactly my worry. I want sun, I want warmth. But I don't want to be surrounded by tourists.

Maybe we do this late September/early October instead?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
This is exactly my worry. I want sun, I want warmth. But I don't want to be surrounded by tourists.

Maybe we do this late September/early October instead?
I think part of the problem is that the weather in the spring cannot be relied on. I've been there the first weekend in March (opening weekend) and been swimming in their outdoor saltwater pool but then I've stayed there in late September and some of the days were quite cool.
Can I ask if you've considered Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc? They're easily as good as FS Cap Ferrat possibly even a bit better.
SojournsOf and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

I haven’t looked at it. Weather wise I suppose that’s the risk of traveling in shoulder season.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:57 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I love Hotel du Cap. And it is a bit more convenient than Cap Ferrat. It was nice weather in early May (film festival time) - they have a nice Van Dutch boat for day trips. Water was freezing though!
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I stayed at Cap Ferrat in April 2017. I agree it's a very nice hotel, even if there were some issues (nothing dramatic). There should be a report.
While I enjoyed my stay over all I was not lucky with weather, we stayed 3 nights and both days it was mainly raining and it was relatively cold. Otherwise we had mostly nice weather during our trip.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:29 am
Original Poster

We are thinking to spend a month in Aix. I think what we may do is Cap Ferrat for a week around that time (mid-April). And we will tour Cheval Blanc and La Reserve from there. Depending on which we like more we will come again in late September.

I’m surprised at the lack of commentary on Cheval Blanc and La Reserve. I know they’re a bit pricier but this forum is full of self-professed “Aman junkies.”

Last edited by sophialite; Dec 4, 2019 at 1:36 am
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:51 am

Check EU school holidays if traveling in April.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.