Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Leela Palace Udaipur, any recent experiences?

Leela Palace Udaipur, any recent experiences?

Old Nov 10, 19, 11:07 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Posts: 1,401
Leela Palace Udaipur, any recent experiences?

I found a 10 year old thread about the Leela Palace in Udaipur but was looking for recent experiences. I will be in Udaipur after this Thanksgiving and just found out the hotel we booked at, the Udaivilas, is being used for a wedding and so they are moving us to the Leel Palace and proving some customer service gestures at other Oberoi properties on our travels. The Lake Palace is also unavailable for a wedding, wanted to nook there originally as I've stayed before and really liked it. Apparently the Leela Palace has just been voted best hotel in the world by Travel and Leisure, but it doesn't look as appealing to me. I guess I don't like that it's a tall building with what I think is ugly architecture and wondering if being here you get a different feeling or sense. I'm tempted to change our travel plans and go somewhere else instead. Thanks!
FAA1996 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 12:50 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
I stayed at the Leela in Udaipur in 2016. I have also stayed at Lake Palace hotel and visited the Udaivillas. I preferred the rooms at the Leela. The hotel is new so it does not have the historical feel of the Lake Palace, but it is very nice. We loved the hotel and actually preferred the food to the Lake Palace hotel. The lobby and the other common areas were beautifully decorated with a lot of antique silver. If you go, make sure to eat at the Udaivillas, the food at the Indian restaurant is excellent.
celesteadi is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:22 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Posts: 1,401
Thanks for the info. Chances are we'll stay there. Other option I'm looking into is going to Ranthambore for those 2 nights instead.
FAA1996 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:44 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
Welcome. I have been to Ranthanmore, it is nice, but Udaipur is one of the most beautiful cities i have visited in india.
celesteadi is offline  
Old Nov 11, 19, 3:29 am
  #5  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Posts: 648
We were also shifted to the Leela palace when Udaivilas was booked out for a wedding.
(sensing a theme here)

We were given the royal suite, featuring an enormous domed ceiling, chandeliers, silver plated furniture, a kitchen, dining room, extensive entertainment area, 1.5 bathrooms and a butler.

Couldn't fault the service and the food was great.
I also really enjoyed the interior courtyard area at night as well as the waterfront dining.

Overall Udaivilas had better public areas but service and food was similar to Leela.

The Taj is a strange property that has no life to it at all. We had dinner in a restaurant with only 5 other tables occupied, with Grandma's house decor and below average food quality. A pretty depressing way to spend an evening. Nothing of note about the property other than the unusual location and small rooms.
Jermyn is offline  
Old Nov 11, 19, 4:52 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Posts: 1,401
Originally Posted by Jermyn View Post
We were also shifted to the Leela palace when Udaivilas was booked out for a wedding.
(sensing a theme here)

We were given the royal suite, featuring an enormous domed ceiling, chandeliers, silver plated furniture, a kitchen, dining room, extensive entertainment area, 1.5 bathrooms and a butler.

Couldn't fault the service and the food was great.
I also really enjoyed the interior courtyard area at night as well as the waterfront dining.

Overall Udaivilas had better public areas but service and food was similar to Leela.

The Taj is a strange property that has no life to it at all. We had dinner in a restaurant with only 5 other tables occupied, with Grandma's house decor and below average food quality. A pretty depressing way to spend an evening. Nothing of note about the property other than the unusual location and small rooms.
Thanks for the additional comments. We've decided to give the Leela Palace a try, my understanding is the Udaivilas will give us regular rooms with balconies at the Leela Palace but will upgrade our rooms at the other Oberoi properties we are staying at.

As for the Lake Palace, we really enjoyed our visit there 10 years ago. We thought it had a lot of character in addition to the uniqueness of its location and wanted to bring back our extended family to experience this. I also understand that we are not able to visit the Lake Palace or Udaivilas as they are both bought out for weddings.
FAA1996 is offline  
Old Dec 1, 19, 7:58 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Posts: 1,401
Update from OP; Leela Palace Udaipur is not horrible, but def a step down from Udaivilas and Taj Lake Palace. It's newer and a lot shinier but fails in many respects, Lake Palace has a charm and uniqueness no other property in Udaipur can match. Udaivilas is a bit worn, but service and architecture are top notch.
Cons of Leela Palace
Dock facilities, dock location, and waiting times are abysmal.
Rooms are small and dark.
Architecture is horrible. Looks like a Holiday Inn with Onion Domes.
Any request for service is met with blank stares.
Trying to get ahold of the spa on phone was comical: button for spa connected us to a different department. Repeated tries were hung up on. Finally dialed the front desk button and spa picked up!
I'll steer clear of any other Leela properties in future based on this stay.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
FAA1996 is offline  
Old Dec 5, 19, 7:06 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,221
Originally Posted by FAA1996 View Post
Update from OP; Leela Palace Udaipur is not horrible, but def a step down from Udaivilas and Taj Lake Palace. It's newer and a lot shinier but fails in many respects, Lake Palace has a charm and uniqueness no other property in Udaipur can match. Udaivilas is a bit worn, but service and architecture are top notch.
Cons of Leela Palace
Dock facilities, dock location, and waiting times are abysmal.
Rooms are small and dark.
Architecture is horrible. Looks like a Holiday Inn with Onion Domes.
Any request for service is met with blank stares.
Trying to get ahold of the spa on phone was comical: button for spa connected us to a different department. Repeated tries were hung up on. Finally dialed the front desk button and spa picked up!
I'll steer clear of any other Leela properties in future based on this stay.
Agree with you, but Leela Palace Delhi is an exception - excellent hotel.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Old Dec 5, 19, 7:33 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London, Paris
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 1,635
FWIW I chose the Oberoi Udaivillas for February. Will report back but wasnt impressed by what I read about Leela in Udaipur. And the service at Oberoi is reputed to be excellent (and this has matched my experience with previous Oberoi stays in other cities).
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
sophialite is offline  
Old Dec 6, 19, 12:04 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: La Jolla, California
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Posts: 1,013
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
Agree with you, but Leela Palace Delhi is an exception - excellent hotel.
Leela Bangalore isn't too bad either.
mike_la_jolla is offline  
Old Dec 7, 19, 3:56 pm
  #11  
Was sydakllon
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SYD
Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by FAA1996 View Post
Update from OP; Leela Palace Udaipur is not horrible, but def a step down from Udaivilas and Taj Lake Palace. It's newer and a lot shinier but fails in many respects, Lake Palace has a charm and uniqueness no other property in Udaipur can match. Udaivilas is a bit worn, but service and architecture are top notch.
Cons of Leela Palace
Dock facilities, dock location, and waiting times are abysmal.
Rooms are small and dark.
Architecture is horrible. Looks like a Holiday Inn with Onion Domes.
Any request for service is met with blank stares.
Trying to get ahold of the spa on phone was comical: button for spa connected us to a different department. Repeated tries were hung up on. Finally dialed the front desk button and spa picked up!
I'll steer clear of any other Leela properties in future based on this stay.
Yikes!

Were staying at RAAS Devigarh and Taj Lake Palace for our trip. Visiting Oberoi for lunch and an inspection. Im already mentally preparing myself to be boiled alive in April...
SojournsOf is offline  
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:19 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Posts: 1,401
Originally Posted by sydakllon View Post
Yikes!

Were staying at RAAS Devigarh and Taj Lake Palace for our trip. Visiting Oberoi for lunch and an inspection. Im already mentally preparing myself to be boiled alive in April...
I've been in April and it's HOT, but skies should be clearer. Hopefully lake levels will still be high.
FAA1996 is offline  
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:32 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Posts: 1,401
Some of you guys might find this interesting. These are the other hotels we tried during our trip and my thoughts on them:

Delhi: Taj Palace New Delhi: remodeled rooms and suites are very nice, not amazing but price is right. Pollution in Delhi is terrible.
Agra: Amarvilas: only option in town, service is great but hotel a bit run down and busy. One bedroom suites were very comfortable. Pollution is bad.
Jaipur: Rajvilas: very nice property with excellent service in a weird location. Private pool villas are worth the splurge and if not, tents are really cool. Having tried both I would recommend Rambagh Palace for location. Pollution still bad.
Udaipur: Leela Palace, meh.
Aurangabad: Vivanta Aurangabad: ok hotel. Service was great but room and grounds dated. Restaurant was usually empty and depressing. Caves are really cool, so I would suggest going once for those who are a bit adventurous.
Mumbai: Taj Mahal Palace: hotel building is very nice and I love historic properties. Lobby area virtually inexistent so you had to use the lobby at the crowded tower for seating. Fod choices were great, and service was excellent, room was spacious and nicely decorated with a good if cramped bathroom, great views of Gateway of India from room. Walking outside of hotel a bit weird as there are no sidewalks so you are forced to walk on the street with traffic. Seems to be a security measure.
Varanasi: Brijrama Palace: nice hotel in excellent location. Only spent one night on Varanasi and so this was our only option. Taj property looks nice, but is in such a location which would make a stay there a waste of time for a short visit. Service was good and rooms were decent with lots of history and charm.
Dalhi: Pullman Aerocity, solid western style hotel that we used for a couple of hours before return flight. Served its purpose well, about 10 minutes to and from airport.
SojournsOf likes this.
FAA1996 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: