Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris - Mandarin Oriental or Park Hyatt with FHR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Paris - Mandarin Oriental or Park Hyatt with FHR

I’ve been combing every thread, blog, magazine I can find and I can’t decide on a hotel. We will be in Paris at the end of Nov with our toddler. I like the location of both the MO and the PH and the best value (price and offerings) seems to be through FHR with the 4th night free. Looking at the Park Deluxe Suite or the Mandarin Terrace. Pros/Cons and general thoughts are much appreciated!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At the PHV, Park Suites are really junior suites without a separate bedroom. Park Deluxe/Executive suites should be genuine suites, but with a toddler you should be aware that many of these suites have their bathtub/shower up several really big steps from floor level, which might be awkward with a small kid. Perhaps more importantly if you'll have a stroller is that floors at this property have some small half flights of stairs in their hallways, with some rooms accessible only by about eight steps in a narrow passageway. The main corridors tend to have "hills" but there's a wing that requires the stairs. You might be able to contact the hotel in advance and ask more specifically about whether they can confirm a room/suite where the stairs won't be a problem.
JMR1223 and offerendum like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
The PH is terrible
JMR1223 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
This is a no brainer - I’ve only stayed at PHV in Paris and always on points.

If I ever had to pay, I’d look elsewhere and in this case MO is the clear choice.
xray and JMR1223 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:23 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
If you like PH then booking via Hyatt Prive 4th. night free is better than FHR as you'll get upgrade at time of booking.
Just booked a client in Paris for March under 4th night free and upgrade at booking in the suite level, earlier today. FHR has it's pros but Hyatt Prive is usually better for Hyatt bookings.

So in your case, you can book via Hyatt Prive TA with 4th night free and upgrade at booking from Park Deluxe Suite to Park Executive Suite. With the usual amenities of breakfast for two, $100 hotel credit, early check in and late check out, etc...
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
If you like PH then booking via Hyatt Prive 4th. night free is better than FHR as you'll get upgrade at time of booking.
Just booked a client in Paris for March under 4th night free and upgrade at booking in the suite level, earlier today. FHR has it's pros but Hyatt Prive is usually better for Hyatt bookings.

So in your case, you can book via Hyatt Prive TA with 4th night free and upgrade at booking from Park Deluxe Suite to Park Executive Suite. With the usual amenities of breakfast for two, $100 hotel credit, early check in and late check out, etc...
Do you message the hotel to confirm the upgrade right at booking? I've been booked Prive before and it was the same "Upgrade upon availability" thing.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've stayed at PHV a number of times and in my mind, the alternative wouldn't be MO. I like the Crillon, PdG, Lutecia on the Left Bank, PA, maybe FS, Raffles, etc.

Unless I'm getting status benefits or there's some other specific reason, I don't like the idea of staying in an "Asian" chain in Europe. [I know Raffles would seem to violate this principle, but until they were merged into Accor, I had their top unpublished status.]
BESVISOR and JMR1223 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
Do you message the hotel to confirm the upgrade right at booking? I've been booked Prive before and it was the same "Upgrade upon availability" thing.
Prive should confirm the upgrade within a couple days (IIRC 48 hours) of booking, but if it's not available then, you could still be upgraded at check in AFAICT.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:31 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

you should switch TAs then. Prive is upgrade within 24 hours of request I believe, which the agent needs to do. My agent has always been able to confirm the booking. It’s helpful if you do they check if the next level is available.

fdw
JMR1223 and BESVISOR like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:36 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
As a Hyatt Prive Advisor, I usually work directly with my friends/contacts/GMs at the respective hotels to confirm the upgrade.
For example, this morning, I saw the suite above my client's requested booking suite available. Booked the suite then notified my contacts at Hyatt and was confirmed to a higher suite.

I'd imagine other Hyatt Prive Advisors work this way as well...But can't speak to that for sure. To each, their own
SojournsOf and JMR1223 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
MO beats PH in Paris. It's a newer hotel with nicer rooms and better amenities.
As another poster said, if you have points and are Globalist then PH should be on the radar.
JMR1223 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've stayed at PHV a number of times and in my mind, the alternative wouldn't be MO. I like the Crillon, PdG, Lutecia on the Left Bank, PA, maybe FS, Raffles, etc.

Unless I'm getting status benefits or there's some other specific reason, I don't like the idea of staying in an "Asian" chain in Europe. [I know Raffles would seem to violate this principle, but until they were merged into Accor, I had their top unpublished status.]
The Peninsula is an Asian chain hotels too. I see no difference betweenstying on one of these as opposed to a Middle Eastern owned hotel (hello Ritz.) What's important is the management of the hotel.

Of the two the OP asked about I'd much rather be in the MO than the PH. Yes, I love the Crillon but the OP seems prefer a modern environment rather than a traditional one.
JMR1223 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by wripro
The Peninsula is an Asian chain hotels too. I see no difference betweenstying on one of these as opposed to a Middle Eastern owned hotel (hello Ritz.) What's important is the management of the hotel.

Of the two the OP asked about I'd much rather be in the MO than the PH. Yes, I love the Crillon but the OP seems prefer a modern environment rather than a traditional one.
Note that I didn't mention the Pen or the Ritz in my post.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

OP here - thanks for the definitive thoughts!! I’m totally open to a more traditional environment, I’ve just been going back and forth through so many options, I had narrowed to those two based on the location (near the Louvre) and my perceived value. It sounds like I would be overpaying for the PH though. Happy to pay a little more for a slam dunk, just didn’t want to end up regretting the choice. I had looked briefly at the Raffles, but I’m not going off of much and it’s kind of last minute (end of November trip). I love the strong opinions! Thank you all!
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:11 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Does your toddler swim? Could a hotel pool help fill an hour, hour 1/2 in the day?

I think Royal Monceau Raffles is often neglected.
gt5889a likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.