Wiki Posts
Search

Paris - Mandarin Oriental or Park Hyatt with FHR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've stayed at PHV a number of times and in my mind, the alternative wouldn't be MO. I like the Crillon, PdG, Lutecia on the Left Bank, PA, maybe FS, Raffles, etc.

Unless I'm getting status benefits or there's some other specific reason, I don't like the idea of staying in an "Asian" chain in Europe. [I know Raffles would seem to violate this principle, but until they were merged into Accor, I had their top unpublished status.]
Crillion is also an Asian chain in Sonia Cheng's Rosewood.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:47 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
you should switch TAs then. Prive is upgrade within 24 hours of request I believe, which the agent needs to do. My agent has always been able to confirm the booking. It’s helpful if you do they check if the next level is available.

fdw
Like BESVISOR, I book direct with someone at the hotel and have the upgrade confirmed from the first discussion.

--

I'd also look at La Reserve. Not too far out from where you are wanting to be and vastly superior to PH and MO (if not every hotel in Paris).
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:54 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by JMR1223
OP here - thanks for the definitive thoughts!! I’m totally open to a more traditional environment, I’ve just been going back and forth through so many options, I had narrowed to those two based on the location (near the Louvre) and my perceived value. It sounds like I would be overpaying for the PH though. Happy to pay a little more for a slam dunk, just didn’t want to end up regretting the choice. I had looked briefly at the Raffles, but I’m not going off of much and it’s kind of last minute (end of November trip). I love the strong opinions! Thank you all!
Raffles can be exceptional value - Virtuoso is 3rd night free and also upgrade confirmed at time of booking. Again, you'd hope to be working with a TA who will work with a contact at the hotel and arrange it all directly...
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that I didn't mention the Pen or the Ritz in my post.
I did note that but you did say you don't like saying in an Asian chain in Paris so I was commenting that the Pen which many ike is and Asianchain hotel and what's the difference between and anAsian chain and a Middle Eastern owned property which is why I cited the Ritz.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
Does your toddler swim? Could a hotel pool help fill an hour, hour 1/2 in the day?

I think Royal Monceau Raffles is often neglected.
She does swim, but we live in Florida so she gets a few days a week in at home. I go back and forth on if we need the pool or not. We've traveled plenty with her and sometimes use the pool, sometimes don't. But haven't taken her this far, so there's the unpredictability of a toddler outside of their time zone. I'm way over-complicating the whole thing.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:17 am

I stayed at the MO for several days last December and I don't understand why it is so derided here. It is not the Athenee or the Crillon, but I really enjoyed my stay. The rooms were lovely, most of the staff was extremely helpful and the facilities were great. I liked the prime location and a thought it had a more intimate atmosphere than what the other grand Paris hotels have to offer. I did not feel like the hotel was so "Asian" that it was out of place in Paris. The concierge service is a bit hit and miss but the issues were rectified after escalating.
FlyerEC and SojournsOf like this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:19 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
The hotel options in Paris is honestly in a league of its own...one of the best luxury markets!
EuropeanPete and SojournsOf like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.