Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Hotels and LinkedIn

Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Is it acceptable for employees at a luxury hotel to creep on your LinkedIn profile while you're a guest at the hotel?

Our stay was not going well.

Just wondering if this is the norm now.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It is a bit odd, but you put yourself out there, so you have to expect that anyone you encounter might have a look.
KatW, EuropeanPete, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Personally I don't have such accounts or not under my clear name. I know some hotels do such research and we all know the internet is as public as possible.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:48 pm

They didn't even know to turn off the "Who's seen your profile" setting lol.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phant0m
They didn't even know to turn off the "Who's seen your profile" setting lol.
That was my thought. I found it creepy that a hotel employee would do that!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:40 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It is a bit odd, but you put yourself out there, so you have to expect that anyone you encounter might have a look.
I don’t even think it’s that odd, depending on the circumstances. Any sort of positive or negative interaction might prompt curiosity or interest in acquiring more info on a guest. There have been references in the press about some super luxe venues researching guests online to provide a better experience. Not odd but maybe a little creepy. It’s a new world and social media is not going anywhere. In fact, it will increasingly gain prominence as a regular tool, and users will get savvier about posting on social mefia.

I maintain two online personas. An official persona for work and other sensitive environments; and another reflecting the real me for real friends. The real me can be blunt and sometimes uses off-color language.
lb8001 and BESVISOR like this.

Last edited by KatW; Oct 14, 2019 at 5:40 pm
Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:56 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I don't have an issue with this. They've probably just Googled you and LinkedIn is the only one that lets you know who is creeping. (assuming you might have other online presences).
KatW likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by kmkord
Is it acceptable for employees at a luxury hotel to creep on your LinkedIn profile while you're a guest at the hotel?

Yes. Especially if you give us a reason to. And reading between the lines it sounds like you have. If you don’t want to be found get off of social media. Also all the major luxury brands are about CRM these days. Get used to it
KatW likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I think the Fullerton Bay looked at my LinkedIn. They had my registration card filled out with the company I work for and my title (could have been sent by my TA, but I doubt it).

Beyond that, I don’t know if hotels have much use for my LinkedIn info.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

What was the employee's role in the hotel? It would be creepy IMO for a housekeeper or masseuse to check on you, but not so much for the property's head of loyalty or guest experience. I'd have mixed feelings if it were someone from the security staff.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold

This happened to me many times before. Also some restaurants, gyms. There better be no social credit any time soon.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:31 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Well, I admit that I have looked up hotel GMs or other senior staff at hotels before or during a stay. It is interesting to be aware of their experience/other hotels they have worked in as background for conversations etc. If they do the same, it is no problem for me.
mecabq likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
A luxury hotel (or any high end establishment, really)'s job is to know their customers so they can anticipate their needs and provide better service. I wouldn't be surprised if people google searched me before arrival. Eleven Madison Park once wished my partner and I a happy anniversary despite the fact that I never notified the restaurant that it was our anniversary. They must have found the NYT wedding announcement.

I don't mind it.
levilevi likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If you put out a social media or other media presence, it can and will be used against you at times. If you are a hotel guest whose reservations are made under your own name which is readily linked to social media or other media presence, it can and will be used at times too.

It's not just hotel guests being checked out by hotel employees. There are also hotel guests doing much the same to check out hotel employees.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotelboy
Yes. Especially if you give us a reason to. And reading between the lines it sounds like you have. If you don’t want to be found get off of social media. Also all the major luxury brands are about CRM these days. Get used to it
Can you please explain "especially if you give us a reason to"?

I had already been at the resort for 2 days when the employee creeped on my LinkedIn.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What was the employee's role in the hotel? It would be creepy IMO for a housekeeper or masseuse to check on you, but not so much for the property's head of loyalty or guest experience. I'd have mixed feelings if it were someone from the security staff.
It was someone from the front desk. I had already been on property for 2 days when this was done.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 15, 2019 at 11:40 am Reason: consecutive posts by same member

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.