Search

Best choice in St. Moritz?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Best choice in St. Moritz?

I found some old threads, but they only discuss specifics of one or two hotels, and I am looking for a bigger picture on the pros and cons of all options. Going on a group ski trip there with some friends in early '20 and wondering what our best bet would be. It's unlikely we'll make use of any spa facilities, so the priorities are convenient location, great rooms and a nice bar. One of the guys in the group goes frequently and has been shilling for the Kempinski. I am not categorically against it, but I feel that surely there must be a better option than a Kempsinki. Another buddy who is also a frequent visitor prefers the Kulm, and as I understand it, that's a good bet on the drinking/social front. Curious as to this forum's opinions. As mentioned, we will be skiing during the day and apres skiing as close to into the morning as we can manage. Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:31 am

I have only stayed at Suvretta House, my review is somehwere on this site. To make a long story short, I was underwhelmed. We have been going mostly to Lech for skiing since.

The advantage of Suvretta is that it is ski-in, ski-out, that's why we chose it. It is not ideal though in terms of dining options/going out, as it is located a short drive away from St Moritz proper.

Kempinski is also quite convenient for skiing as it is located very close to the stop of the Signal lift. Kulm, Badrutt's, and Carlton all require a shuttle or long walk, which would rule them out for me if skiing is the focus of the trip. Kulm has recently had a renovation of a part of the rooms by Pierre-Yves Rochon, which look pretty nice on pictures.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:28 am

Stayed at quite a few places in StM (Badrutt's, Kulm, Suvretta, Kempinski etc.). Would rank as follows:
1) Badrutt's: best location, restaurants, service, spa is ok but still better than all others.
2) Kulm: good location, good restaurants but rooms a bit dated
3) Suvretta: Ski-in, ski-out, rooms are dated, location not great if you want to go out/shopping in-town
4) Kempinski: Location is poor and you have to walk to the ski left (unlike others which have a regular shuttle), spa is very large and has loads of options but does not feel high-end. No views from the rooms. Feels a bit tacky overall
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I think most of the St. Moritz hotels have been discussed in the general Swiss thread with, iirc, a number of recent comments:
Switzerland Luxury Hotels
As you note there are a number of specific threads about hotels or comparing hotels with comments from the last couple of years.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DonJ
Stayed at quite a few places in StM (Badrutt's, Kulm, Suvretta, Kempinski etc.). Would rank as follows:
1) Badrutt's: best location, restaurants, service, spa is ok but still better than all others.
2) Kulm: good location, good restaurants but rooms a bit dated
3) Suvretta: Ski-in, ski-out, rooms are dated, location not great if you want to go out/shopping in-town
4) Kempinski: Location is poor and you have to walk to the ski left (unlike others which have a regular shuttle), spa is very large and has loads of options but does not feel high-end. No views from the rooms. Feels a bit tacky overall
TY. Badrutt's is showing sold out on my dates, having my TA double check. Any thoughts on Carlton? How bad are the rooms at Kulm?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Roughly the same price for a JrSuite at Carlton or an entry level room at Kulm. Thoughts?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Travel Leaders Group, Preferred Partner of FS, RC, MO, Rosewood, Belmond, Pen, SLH, etc.
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Roughly the same price for a JrSuite at Carlton or an entry level room at Kulm. Thoughts?
Wow, that's a difficult choice as both seem to get exceptional reviews. I would probably go with the suite at the Carlton, as the standard rooms at Kulm look pretty small in comparison.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EdenPlaceTravel
Wow, that's a difficult choice as both seem to get exceptional reviews. I would probably go with the suite at the Carlton, as the standard rooms at Kulm look pretty small in comparison.
that’s what I am doing for the moment. Rates were about the same but Carlton was a 55-65sqmt jr suite w lake view and Kulm was 33sqmt. Have a few weeks where it’s still cancellable if there’s some reason to avoid Carlton.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
Kulm is much better
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by r281
Kulm is much better
kulm has joined badrutt’s in the “sold out on my dates” category...lovely. Why is Kulm so much better?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.