Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Requesting Upgrade at Four Seasons

Requesting Upgrade at Four Seasons

Old Oct 11, 19, 6:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, HHonors
Posts: 699
Requesting Upgrade at Four Seasons

Hi All,

First time staying at a Four Seasons later this month in Punta Mita - I booked via Amex FHR, so hoping that'll include an upgrade of some sort, but it looks like the inventory at the hotel is dwindling and I'm starting to fear that we'll get stuck in our original garden room (I've heard they are quite nice though!). Here's my question - in the past, I've emailed Park Hyatt's and St. Regis' about potentially upgrading (with cash) and sometimes they'll quote me a number that is reasonable and I decide not to chance an upgrade upon check-in.

Is it normal to do the same with FS? Do FHR bookings put in a request for an upgrade immediately, or is it a day of upgrade situation? This is a special occasion for my partner and I so we'd prefer not to chance it & get a nice room with a view.
kthpence is offline  
Old Oct 11, 19, 6:23 pm
  #2  
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Posts: 1,719
Originally Posted by kthpence View Post
Hi All,

First time staying at a Four Seasons later this month in Punta Mita - I booked via Amex FHR, so hoping that'll include an upgrade of some sort, but it looks like the inventory at the hotel is dwindling and I'm starting to fear that we'll get stuck in our original garden room (I've heard they are quite nice though!). Here's my question - in the past, I've emailed Park Hyatt's and St. Regis' about potentially upgrading (with cash) and sometimes they'll quote me a number that is reasonable and I decide not to chance an upgrade upon check-in.

Is it normal to do the same with FS? Do FHR bookings put in a request for an upgrade immediately, or is it a day of upgrade situation? This is a special occasion for my partner and I so we'd prefer not to chance it & get a nice room with a view.
Just so you know, Four Seasons Preferred Partner (FSPP) bookings are at the top of the upgrade list, ahead of Virtuoso and FHR — so if any upgrades are available for your dates, FSPP will get priority.
DavidO is offline  
Old Oct 11, 19, 6:28 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,915
Be aware that the FHR upgrade entitlement (although some properties will do better when possible) is a ONE room category upgrade if available at check in. If the category immediately above yours is sold out but there's availability two categories up, the hotel is not obligated to do the upgrade, even if the rooms and prices are almost identical. it's very different from the typical hotel program elite entitlement to the best room/suite below some special category.
kthpence likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:17 pm
  #4  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD and SDF
Programs: SQ Silver, IHG Plat Amb, MR Gold, SL Jade
Posts: 3,375
Originally Posted by kthpence View Post
Hi All,

First time staying at a Four Seasons later this month in Punta Mita - I booked via Amex FHR, so hoping that'll include an upgrade of some sort, but it looks like the inventory at the hotel is dwindling and I'm starting to fear that we'll get stuck in our original garden room (I've heard they are quite nice though!). Here's my question - in the past, I've emailed Park Hyatt's and St. Regis' about potentially upgrading (with cash) and sometimes they'll quote me a number that is reasonable and I decide not to chance an upgrade upon check-in.

Is it normal to do the same with FS? Do FHR bookings put in a request for an upgrade immediately, or is it a day of upgrade situation? This is a special occasion for my partner and I so we'd prefer not to chance it & get a nice room with a view.
FHR are normally day of arrival upgrades. But if it’s a special occasion, let the hotel know and also ask for upgrade options. Especially if you’re willing to pay for them.
kthpence likes this.
United747 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 19, 10:33 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, HHonors
Posts: 699
Originally Posted by DavidO View Post
Just so you know, Four Seasons Preferred Partner (FSPP) bookings are at the top of the upgrade list, ahead of Virtuoso and FHR — so if any upgrades are available for your dates, FSPP will get priority.
I was originally planning to book through FSPP but I had an AMEX offer for 16k points after spending $800 w/ FHR, so after booking the FS Punta Mita, I netted about 25k points. That to me made it worth booking via Amex FHR over FSPP.
kthpence is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 5:05 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by kthpence View Post
I was originally planning to book through FSPP but I had an AMEX offer for 16k points after spending $800 w/ FHR, so after booking the FS Punta Mita, I netted about 25k points. That to me made it worth booking via Amex FHR over FSPP.
And with that decision, you'll have to accept a lower probability of receiving a complimentary upgrade.
dgreen12 likes this.
sophialite is online now  
Old Oct 12, 19, 6:17 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,153
Originally Posted by kthpence View Post
I was originally planning to book through FSPP but I had an AMEX offer for 16k points after spending $800 w/ FHR, so after booking the FS Punta Mita, I netted about 25k points. That to me made it worth booking via Amex FHR over FSPP.
That certainly makes sense, but as sophialite alluded to, choices have consequences...

We still use FHR a good bit but we never, ever expect an upgrade anymore. We book the room we desire and an upgrade beyond that is just icing on the cake. A long time ago we almost always got upgraded on FHR stays at various properties, but in a strong economy the reality is that the best properties often fill up so there just isn't always inventory to upgrade to.

Good luck

Regards
scubadu is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 6:57 am
  #8  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,607
Originally Posted by kthpence View Post
I was originally planning to book through FSPP but I had an AMEX offer for 16k points after spending $800 w/ FHR, so after booking the FS Punta Mita, I netted about 25k points. That to me made it worth booking via Amex FHR over FSPP.
Always book what you can live with through FHR. I hope you get some sort of upgrade though.
Aventine is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 9:02 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, HHonors
Posts: 699
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
Always book what you can live with through FHR. I hope you get some sort of upgrade though.
Yea I was tempted to use the 25k points to book a nicer room but decided against it at the moment of booking. Figured I could get way more value with them later on.

A small caveat, but it looks like there are plenty of rooms in the category directly above ours (ocean view casita) but they all only have double beds. My partner and I are fine with double beds, but our original room is booked into a king. Would that have any impact on potentially getting upgraded / should I let the resort know we're ok with two double beds?
kthpence is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 9:13 am
  #10  
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Posts: 1,719
Originally Posted by kthpence View Post
A small caveat, but it looks like there are plenty of rooms in the category directly above ours (ocean view casita) but they all only have double beds. My partner and I are fine with double beds, but our original room is booked into a king. Would that have any impact on potentially getting upgraded / should I let the resort know we're ok with two double beds?
This is something your TA should do for you. In this case, it's the Amex advisor who made your reservation. S/he can put a remark in the Sabre reservation to the effect that "clients willing to accept upgrade to double double room."

Any of the Virtuoso/FSPP TA's on this forum can do a better job for you than an FHR agent. Part of our process is to write a VIP email to the leisure sales manager at the hotel drawing attention to your reservation, ask that they VIP your stay, and communicating your specific requests and preferences. FHR simply isn't set up to provide that level of service.

... btw ... your Virtuoso/FSPP agent can make FHR reservations for you (if you have a Platinum card), if you absolutely 100% need the late 4 p.m. check-out... and done this way, you'll get the post-booking VIP follow through.
dgreen12 likes this.
DavidO is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 9:44 am
  #11  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Programs: Some
Posts: 7,803
This year I'm unlucky with FS. While I got good upgrades during the last years this year 0 out of 3. Don't help anyone, just telling my suffering
offerendum is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 9:45 am
  #12  
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Programs: Some
Posts: 7,803
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Be aware that the FHR upgrade entitlement (although some properties will do better when possible) is a ONE room category upgrade if available at check in. If the category immediately above yours is sold out but there's availability two categories up, the hotel is not obligated to do the upgrade, even if the rooms and prices are almost identical. it's very different from the typical hotel program elite entitlement to the best room/suite below some special category.
Even if the category is available it isn't a guarantee. Of course you can discuss but that's not my cup of tea.

Btw: If I really want a higher category I book it.
offerendum is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 12:07 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: France
Posts: 919
Any of the Virtuoso/FSPP TA's on this forum can do a better job for you than an FHR agent.
Never understood the FHR bashing on this forum.
So many absolutely great experiences with Amex and only disappointing and irrelevant advices from Virtuoso.
Pierre&Cédric is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 1:09 pm
  #14  
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Programs: Some
Posts: 7,803
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric View Post
Never understood the FHR bashing on this forum.
So many absolutely great experiences with Amex and only disappointing and irrelevant advices from Virtuoso.
There are definitely hotels were FHR brings better results, not only regarding free night offers (which agent wasn't able to match). With FHR Centurion I believe benefits (guaranteed upgrades at many brands) are much better than Virtuoso.
Pierre&Cédric likes this.
offerendum is offline  
Old Oct 12, 19, 3:26 pm
  #15  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 2,087
I love it when an upgrade comes through. But I no longer play this game unless I can get an upgrade at BOOKING. Otherwise I book what I want. As Aventine says above, I have to be able to enjoy what I ultimately receive. If not getting the upgrade compromises the trip then I would not chance it. But you know your situation best.
KatW is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread