FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Requesting Upgrade at Four Seasons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1990966-requesting-upgrade-four-seasons.html)

kthpence Oct 11, 2019 6:19 pm

Requesting Upgrade at Four Seasons

Hi All,

First time staying at a Four Seasons later this month in Punta Mita - I booked via Amex FHR, so hoping that'll include an upgrade of some sort, but it looks like the inventory at the hotel is dwindling and I'm starting to fear that we'll get stuck in our original garden room (I've heard they are quite nice though!). Here's my question - in the past, I've emailed Park Hyatt's and St. Regis' about potentially upgrading (with cash) and sometimes they'll quote me a number that is reasonable and I decide not to chance an upgrade upon check-in.

Is it normal to do the same with FS? Do FHR bookings put in a request for an upgrade immediately, or is it a day of upgrade situation? This is a special occasion for my partner and I so we'd prefer not to chance it & get a nice room with a view.

DavidO Oct 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence (Post 31619042)
Hi All,

First time staying at a Four Seasons later this month in Punta Mita - I booked via Amex FHR, so hoping that'll include an upgrade of some sort, but it looks like the inventory at the hotel is dwindling and I'm starting to fear that we'll get stuck in our original garden room (I've heard they are quite nice though!). Here's my question - in the past, I've emailed Park Hyatt's and St. Regis' about potentially upgrading (with cash) and sometimes they'll quote me a number that is reasonable and I decide not to chance an upgrade upon check-in.

Is it normal to do the same with FS? Do FHR bookings put in a request for an upgrade immediately, or is it a day of upgrade situation? This is a special occasion for my partner and I so we'd prefer not to chance it & get a nice room with a view.

Just so you know, Four Seasons Preferred Partner (FSPP) bookings are at the top of the upgrade list, ahead of Virtuoso and FHR — so if any upgrades are available for your dates, FSPP will get priority.

MSPeconomist Oct 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Be aware that the FHR upgrade entitlement (although some properties will do better when possible) is a ONE room category upgrade if available at check in. If the category immediately above yours is sold out but there's availability two categories up, the hotel is not obligated to do the upgrade, even if the rooms and prices are almost identical. it's very different from the typical hotel program elite entitlement to the best room/suite below some special category.

United747 Oct 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence (Post 31619042)
Hi All,

FHR are normally day of arrival upgrades. But if it’s a special occasion, let the hotel know and also ask for upgrade options. Especially if you’re willing to pay for them.

kthpence Oct 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO (Post 31619054)
Just so you know, Four Seasons Preferred Partner (FSPP) bookings are at the top of the upgrade list, ahead of Virtuoso and FHR — so if any upgrades are available for your dates, FSPP will get priority.

I was originally planning to book through FSPP but I had an AMEX offer for 16k points after spending $800 w/ FHR, so after booking the FS Punta Mita, I netted about 25k points. That to me made it worth booking via Amex FHR over FSPP.

sophialite Oct 12, 2019 5:05 am

Originally Posted by kthpence (Post 31619497)
I was originally planning to book through FSPP but I had an AMEX offer for 16k points after spending $800 w/ FHR, so after booking the FS Punta Mita, I netted about 25k points. That to me made it worth booking via Amex FHR over FSPP.

And with that decision, you'll have to accept a lower probability of receiving a complimentary upgrade.

scubadu Oct 12, 2019 6:17 am

That certainly makes sense, but as sophialite alluded to, choices have consequences...

We still use FHR a good bit but we never, ever expect an upgrade anymore. We book the room we desire and an upgrade beyond that is just icing on the cake. A long time ago we almost always got upgraded on FHR stays at various properties, but in a strong economy the reality is that the best properties often fill up so there just isn't always inventory to upgrade to.

Good luck

Regards

Aventine Oct 12, 2019 6:57 am

Always book what you can live with through FHR. I hope you get some sort of upgrade though.

kthpence Oct 12, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 31620267)
Always book what you can live with through FHR. I hope you get some sort of upgrade though.

Yea I was tempted to use the 25k points to book a nicer room but decided against it at the moment of booking. Figured I could get way more value with them later on.

A small caveat, but it looks like there are plenty of rooms in the category directly above ours (ocean view casita) but they all only have double beds. My partner and I are fine with double beds, but our original room is booked into a king. Would that have any impact on potentially getting upgraded / should I let the resort know we're ok with two double beds?

DavidO Oct 12, 2019 9:13 am

Originally Posted by kthpence (Post 31620541)
A small caveat, but it looks like there are plenty of rooms in the category directly above ours (ocean view casita) but they all only have double beds. My partner and I are fine with double beds, but our original room is booked into a king. Would that have any impact on potentially getting upgraded / should I let the resort know we're ok with two double beds?

This is something your TA should do for you. In this case, it's the Amex advisor who made your reservation. S/he can put a remark in the Sabre reservation to the effect that "clients willing to accept upgrade to double double room."

Any of the Virtuoso/FSPP TA's on this forum can do a better job for you than an FHR agent. Part of our process is to write a VIP email to the leisure sales manager at the hotel drawing attention to your reservation, ask that they VIP your stay, and communicating your specific requests and preferences. FHR simply isn't set up to provide that level of service.

... btw ... your Virtuoso/FSPP agent can make FHR reservations for you (if you have a Platinum card), if you absolutely 100% need the late 4 p.m. check-out... and done this way, you'll get the post-booking VIP follow through.

offerendum Oct 12, 2019 9:44 am

This year I'm unlucky with FS. While I got good upgrades during the last years this year 0 out of 3. Don't help anyone, just telling my suffering:rolleyes:

offerendum Oct 12, 2019 9:45 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31619067)
Be aware that the FHR upgrade entitlement (although some properties will do better when possible) is a ONE room category upgrade if available at check in. If the category immediately above yours is sold out but there's availability two categories up, the hotel is not obligated to do the upgrade, even if the rooms and prices are almost identical. it's very different from the typical hotel program elite entitlement to the best room/suite below some special category.

Even if the category is available it isn't a guarantee. Of course you can discuss but that's not my cup of tea.

Btw: If I really want a higher category I book it.

Pierre&Cédric Oct 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Any of the Virtuoso/FSPP TA's on this forum can do a better job for you than an FHR agent.
Never understood the FHR bashing on this forum.
So many absolutely great experiences with Amex and only disappointing and irrelevant advices from Virtuoso.

offerendum Oct 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric (Post 31621009)
Never understood the FHR bashing on this forum.
So many absolutely great experiences with Amex and only disappointing and irrelevant advices from Virtuoso.

There are definitely hotels were FHR brings better results, not only regarding free night offers (which agent wasn't able to match). With FHR Centurion I believe benefits (guaranteed upgrades at many brands) are much better than Virtuoso.

KatW Oct 12, 2019 3:26 pm

I love it when an upgrade comes through. But I no longer play this game unless I can get an upgrade at BOOKING. Otherwise I book what I want. As Aventine says above, I have to be able to enjoy what I ultimately receive. If not getting the upgrade compromises the trip then I would not chance it. But you know your situation best.