Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Luxury Hotels Alienating Visitors ?

Old Oct 5, 19, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

Iíve seen several reports of Hong Kong luxury hotels offering special deals during this difficult time there. From what I read, they seem to be reserved to locals - i.e. Hong Kong Residents only. Staycations. This is leaving a rather bad taste in my mouth and is certainly making me less inclined to visit. I would think that with visitor numbers so down that they would do everything to promote inbound visitors than alienate them. I have always hated places that have one price for locals and one price for foreigners.

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/trave...-packages-amid
Old Oct 5, 19, 4:56 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Braniff View Post
Iíve seen several reports of Hong Kong luxury hotels offering special deals during this difficult time there. From what I read, they seem to be reserved to locals - i.e. Hong Kong Residents only. Staycations. This is leaving a rather bad taste in my mouth and is certainly making me less inclined to visit. I would think that with visitor numbers so down that they would do everything to promote inbound visitors than alienate them. I have always hated places that have one price for locals and one price for foreigners.

This kind of also happens in SE Asian countries with local rates vs. foreigner rates. Here in Yangon, locals pay 30% of what foreigners are charged and some of them can definitely afford to pay rack rates. I agree that they should probably include foreigners in their staycation deals.
Old Oct 5, 19, 5:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

This happens all over the world. Hawaii. Taiwan (my parents keep a passport just for the locals rate). Florida.

have you seen the Amanpulo rates for locals? This is from 2017 but Iím willing to bet it still exists.

. Iím sure that the rates are down across the board in HKG anyway; so itís a good time to visit for a deal.

fdw
Old Oct 5, 19, 6:08 am

Doesn't really bother me. Those people got to live and work around there. I love hanging out with my sister in Hawaii. She just flashes her DL and we save a lot.
Old Oct 5, 19, 12:24 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
I’ve seen several reports of Hong Kong luxury hotels offering special deals during this difficult time there. From what I read, they seem to be reserved to locals - i.e. Hong Kong Residents only. Staycations. This is leaving a rather bad taste in my mouth and is certainly making me less inclined to visit. I would think that with visitor numbers so down that they would do everything to promote inbound visitors than alienate them. I have always hated places that have one price for locals and one price for foreigners.

From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense. The staycation (HK resident rate) discount isn't ENORMOUS - it's typically an extra 10% off or maybe has some extra inclusions. That's not going to entice someone who wasn't going to come to Hong Kong anyone to now suddenly change their mind and plan a trip to the city amid the chaos. Essentially, there isn't that much they can do when international visitor numbers are going to be down regardless.

This is to drive locals to maybe help out and enjoy a staycation in the city, and also to spend locally on F&B at the outlets.

On top of that, as mentioned, many places in Southeast Asia do local resident rates (out of the ones not mentioned, The Datai has a rate not just for Malaysians but for Singaporeans too!). So this in itself isn't uncommon, although it is quite rare for Hong Kong which is more used to 75-90%+ occupancy rates as they've hardly ever had to push something like this. The last time they probably did something similar to this was likely around SARS, and some of the hotels (Upper House, Landmark Mandarin Oriental) weren't even open back then. Four Seasons might just about have opened then?
Old Oct 5, 19, 3:05 pm

This even happens at two of five most expensive hotels in Washington, DC.... so I'm not sure what the OP is complaining about?

Hotels are private business and they are allowed to make business and/or political decisions on their own.
trooper and Often1 like this.
Old Oct 5, 19, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense. The staycation (HK resident rate) discount isn't ENORMOUS - it's typically an extra 10% off or maybe has some extra inclusions. That's not going to entice someone who wasn't going to come to Hong Kong anyone to now suddenly change their mind and plan a trip to the city amid the chaos. Essentially, there isn't that much they can do when international visitor numbers are going to be down regardless.

This is to drive locals to maybe help out and enjoy a staycation in the city, and also to spend locally on F&B at the outlets.

On top of that, as mentioned, many places in Southeast Asia do local resident rates (out of the ones not mentioned, The Datai has a rate not just for Malaysians but for Singaporeans too!). So this in itself isn't uncommon, although it is quite rare for Hong Kong which is more used to 75-90%+ occupancy rates as they've hardly ever had to push something like this. The last time they probably did something similar to this was likely around SARS, and some of the hotels (Upper House, Landmark Mandarin Oriental) weren't even open back then. Four Seasons might just about have opened then?
Thank you for your very thoughtful post. I guess what struck me when I read the article was that this was a time for Hong Kong to be looking for overseas friends, not to offer specials specifically designed so foreigners could not take advantage of them.

Last edited by Braniff; Oct 5, 19 at 7:21 pm
Old Oct 5, 19, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky View Post
This even happens at two of five most expensive hotels in Washington, DC.... so I'm not sure what the OP is complaining about?

Hotels are private business and they are allowed to make business and/or political decisions on their own.

I lived in Washington for many years. Iíd love to know more about these rates for locals there !!!
Old Oct 5, 19, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a big fan of local promos myself. I lived at the MO during SARs in fact.
Old Oct 6, 19, 9:21 am

I lived in Washington for many years. Iíd love to know more about these rates for locals there !!!
When the W and the Mandarin Oriental opened, they offered really low rates for locals. They didn't really require "local" residency. However, they only advertised the deals in tiny local papers like the Great Falls Connection, which only the local people read.

Not 5-star, but I've also stayed at the Capitol Hilton for $10 a night in October 2001. (again, they only advertised in tiny local papers, like the ones you pick up in front of Giant Food)
Old Oct 6, 19, 10:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Actually, for as long as I can remember, before Marriott acquired SPG, SPG used to have local rates for Texas & Oklahoma residents all the time (ID was required at check-in). We took advantage of them frequently.

Of reasons I could think of to not visit HK, this wouldn't even be in the top 100...

Regards
Old Oct 6, 19, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Actually, for as long as I can remember, before Marriott acquired SPG, SPG used to have local rates for Texas & Oklahoma residents all the time (ID was required at check-in). We took advantage of them frequently.

Of reasons I could think of to not visit HK, this wouldn't even be in the top 100...

Regards
I remember some local rates for the upper midwest and even a special rate for hunters. [IIRC that was for the Sheraton in Sioux Falls, SD, and it did permit hunting dogs but the guns were supposed to remain in locked vehicles in the parking lot.]
Old Oct 6, 19, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is not one shred of evidence that offering a local rate alienates those from elsewhere. If OP is miffed, he is in a very, very, vert small minority.

Not only do these rates make immediate good business sense, but locals are often asked by visiting clients, friends & relatives for recommendations and they are often therefore a very good source of long-term business from elsewhere.
moondog, EuropeanPete and narvik like this.
Old Oct 6, 19, 4:24 pm

Programs: Many
These deals are not ONLY for locals. I was at the RC HKG a few weeks ago booked into an entry level room. I booked through a preferred partner or STARS agent or whatever it's being called now and they offered me a mediocre gratis upgrade, but also said they were running a promo where I could upgrade to a harbor view suite with club access for a fairly low amount/night (something like $175/night maybe?). I took them up on their offer and was very pleased with the hotel. I may visit HKG frequently, but I am def not local. For my booking, the first night was paid at a low rate ($400 something) and the second night was a points redemption.
Old Oct 7, 19, 11:51 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
These deals are not ONLY for locals. I was at the RC HKG a few weeks ago booked into an entry level room. I booked through a preferred partner or STARS agent or whatever it's being called now and they offered me a mediocre gratis upgrade, but also said they were running a promo where I could upgrade to a harbor view suite with club access for a fairly low amount/night (something like $175/night maybe?). I took them up on their offer and was very pleased with the hotel. I may visit HKG frequently, but I am def not local. For my booking, the first night was paid at a low rate ($400 something) and the second night was a points redemption.
There are special deals on at the moment that only local residents (Hong Kong and Macau residents) have access to - to book the rate, you need a HKID or Macau ID card. As mentioned though, it may not be a huge difference on the BAR or other lowest available rates (typically an extra 10-20% off, or extra benefits such as great hotel credit etc).

Search this Thread