Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which if any Intercon properties actually count as “luxury?”

Old Sep 27, 19, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many

The Carlton? I feel like while IC are positioned as “5-star luxury,” almost none of their hotels are up to that standard. I somehow made Spire Elite Inner Circle last year despite only 3 stays at IHG properties and still see no reason to stay with them this year. I’d be hard pressed to think of more than 2-3 places in the world where the IC is the best (if that many). Thoughts?
Old Sep 28, 19, 12:11 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
InterCon Danang maybe?
ung1 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 19, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
InterCon Danang maybe?
I'd argue that with the wonderful FS Nam Hai only a 30-35 minute drive from downtown Da Nang that it counts as a Hoi An/Da Nang hotel.
Old Sep 28, 19, 1:25 am

Lets hope the new one in the Maldives is true luxury. Should definitely be a step ahead of other IC's. Will be spending a couple nights there in January.
Old Sep 28, 19, 1:46 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
I'd argue that with the wonderful FS Nam Hai only a 30-35 minute drive from downtown Da Nang that it counts as a Hoi An/Da Nang hotel.
Ah yes, just reread your original post - I think if you extend it to include "the best" in any place, then they aren't - but I don't think they're really trying to be? Danang is probably the closest in terms of being the very best in a destination for true luxury. They're a bit like Shangri-la in that regard I suppose...a couple of pretty nice properties, a lot of serviceable ones that have seen better days, and then some really bizarre ones too (Shangri-La Eros in Delhi before the refurb, Shangri-La Luohu in Shenzhen).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 28, 19, 3:43 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
I’d be hard pressed to think of more than 2-3 places in the world where the IC is the best (if that many). Thoughts?
Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
Ah yes, just reread your original post - I think if you extend it to include "the best" in any place, then they aren't - but I don't think they're really trying to be?
Agree that IC likely isn't trying to be or claiming to be "the best" choice anywhere.

However, I think that, for a long time, IC HK was considered one of the better (still not "best") choices in HK not because of best hard/soft product, but because of its top location right at the harbour, in a city where view really matters. And well, if you happened to have the Terrace Suite, life would have been pretty good...
Old Sep 28, 19, 6:29 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
In my eyes IC Marseille. Also think Bordeaux would qualify, but didn't stay so far. Amstel was for many years.

Otherwise "the best" is a difficult term. What's "the best" in Paris, London or New York? Simply not possible to answer.

This said I agree that no major city comed to my mind were IC is my first choice.

In my eyes if a hotel counts as luxury is not related to the question which hotel is nearby. It only under circumstances affects the question if I stay or not

Last edited by offerendum; Sep 28, 19 at 6:37 am
Old Sep 28, 19, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post

Otherwise "the best" is a difficult term. What's "the best" in Paris, London or New York? Simply not possible to answer.
Sure there are subjective preferences, but there are a class of hotels that are in the conversation for each of those cities. IC is generally not in that conversation.
Old Sep 28, 19, 6:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Hanoi Westlake is a very nice property in a city that lacks real highend options. Danang would one of their finest properties in the world and one of very few.
Old Sep 28, 19, 7:39 am

Last year, the IC in Almaty, Kazakhstan, came as a massive relief after 10 days or so out in the Central Asian boondocks. Our room was impeccably designed, especially the bathroom and the plumbing which I put to the test a lot. Dinner at the rooftop restaurant was the first time in days that I hadn't eaten horse, and service standards were very high, given that the doormen hadn't ever been asked to fetch a taxi before. It was all too much for them.

In the good old days in the 1970s and 1980s, I used to go to places like Prague, Bucharest and Warsaw on business and the ICs in each city were oases of civilisation. So I have a soft spot for them.
MikeFromTokyo and bosskh like this.
Old Sep 28, 19, 7:57 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Last year, the IC in Almaty, Kazakhstan, came as a massive relief after 10 days or so out in the Central Asian boondocks. Our room was impeccably designed, especially the bathroom and the plumbing which I put to the test a lot. Dinner at the rooftop restaurant was the first time in days that I hadn't eaten horse, and service standards were very high, given that the doormen hadn't ever been asked to fetch a taxi before. It was all too much for them.

In the good old days in the 1970s and 1980s, I used to go to places like Prague, Bucharest and Warsaw on business and the ICs in each city were oases of civilisation. So I have a soft spot for them.
I would have recommended the RC Almaty. One of the best showers I ever had in my life and very comfortable rooms that wouldn't be out of place in a better city RC. The IC was very dated to me but better than a yurt in the Kazakh steppes.
Old Sep 28, 19, 8:07 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Sure there are subjective preferences, but there are a class of hotels that are in the conversation for each of those cities. IC is generally not in that conversation.
Absolutely correct and in all 3 cities it's justified even if Le Grand was a nice hotel in the past.
Old Sep 28, 19, 8:31 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
In my eyes IC Marseille. Also think Bordeaux would qualify, but didn't stay so far. Amstel was for many years.
I agree with these choices including that I have yet to stay in Bordeuax. I've also had excellent stays at the IC Singapore. The IC Porto was very pleasant.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 28, 19, 9:07 am

I'm proud to say that I am a fan of IC in many locations. In some cases it is the best in town, while in many cases it is not attempting to be the ultimate in luxury, but still gets the basics so right that it suits my needs perfectly.

Some particularly good IC properties that are quite nice, and potentially luxurious, in my opinion:

Kyiv
Ljubljana
Budapest
Prague
London Park Lane
Amsterdam Amstel
Danang Sun Peninsula Resort
Phuket resort (upcoming)
Hua Hin
Bangkok
Osaka
Singapore
Singapore Robertson Quay
Hong Kong (soon to revert to Regent branding)

Quite a few of these have at least the potential to be luxurious, and all of them have at least significant features such as views, exceptional F&B outlets, or certain suites or accommodation categories that are noteworthy and distinctive. Just like some high end Hyatt properties (Many PH, Andaz Tokyo, some GH, and a few select HR), when a good InterContinental knows you and treats you well, I find them to be great places to stay.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Sep 29, 19 at 6:31 am
Old Sep 28, 19, 11:36 pm

I've tried the Carlton in Cannes and the Amstel in Amsterdam, albeit almost a decade ago. Both qualified as luxury in my opinion.

Search this Thread