Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Reopened Okura Tokyo - Any Experiences ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

The hotel reopened last Thursday. I wonder if any of the charm of the old Okura remains. The old hotel was essentially torn down and replaced with a high-rise. I eagerly await any experiences.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff
The hotel reopened last Thursday. I wonder if any of the charm of the old Okura remains. The old hotel was essentially torn down and replaced with a high-rise. I eagerly await any experiences.
Apparently it's been decked out with mid century design which looks interesting:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...akeover-photos

Location doesn't look fantastic, being over 600metres to the nearest metro station, which is a very long way by Tokyo standards.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Offshore171
Location doesn't look fantastic, being over 600metres to the nearest metro station, which is a very long way by Tokyo standards.
It's the exact same location as before. I don't think the walk to Kamiyacho or Tameike Sanno is 600 meters. But it is 5 minutes to Kamiyacho and probably closer to 10 minutes to Tameike Sanno.
RichardInSF and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
It's the exact same location as before. I don't think the walk to Kamiyacho or Tameike Sanno is 600 meters. But it is 5 minutes to Kamiyacho and probably closer to 10 minutes to Tameike Sanno.
Not suggesting the location has changed. Just that this location is not super convenient to Metro/JR compared to some of the competition, some of which have metros right under the building. Still, in this respect it's better than say the Park Hyatt.

There is apparently a new Toranomon Hills station opening next year for the Olympics which looks like it might be a little closer.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
What made (makes) the Okura great is service. We'll see if it has held up. They seemed able to maintain the standard while operating out of the South Wing during construction.

And.... who stays at the Okura and takes the subway?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Offshore171
There is apparently a new Toranomon Hills station opening next year for the Olympics which looks like it might be a little closer.
Kamiyacho station is probably closer to the Okura than even the new Toranomon Hills station.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
And.... who stays at the Okura and takes the subway?
That exact thought went through my mind. At the Okura, one must arrive and depart in one of those black old-fashioned Toyota Century limos with the lace curtains and the doily on the headrest.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:11 am

Can walk to both Kamiyacho and Roppongi Itchome station in like 5 mins?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Can walk to both Kamiyacho and Roppongi Itchome station in like 5 mins?
Roppongi Itchome is also a short-ish walk, but it's uphill so it's no fun in summer.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
I read one on-line commentary that said the only thing that remained of the old Okura were “some lobby fixtures.”
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braniff
I read one on-line commentary that said the only thing that remained of the old Okura were “some lobby fixtures.”
theokuratokyo.jp/en/

That sure is a lot of lobby fixtures.
Braniff likes this.

Last edited by Pickles; Sep 16, 2019 at 2:04 pm
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
I think they retained much of the paneling as well as the lighting and the furniture. However, I share the view that otherwise, you now have the new build tower and the old "new" wing.

The location has always been a mixed blessing. For people dealing with the US Embassy and some of the offices in Kamiyacho, etc just fine. But sort of off the beaten path for other types of business or leisure. And I still like taking the Tokyo Metro !
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grumbler
And I still like taking the Tokyo Metro !
No Toyota Century limo for you to arrive and depart in style?
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

No Toyota Century limo for you to arrive and depart in style?
Sorry. All I can afford is a black Toyota Crown.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
That exact thought went through my mind. At the Okura, one must arrive and depart in one of those black old-fashioned Toyota Century limos with the lace curtains and the doily on the headrest.
I take exception to your description of my normal mode of conveyance as "old-fashioned."

As my dear friend Coco once said, "Style changes. Fashion endures."
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.