Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Akan Yuku no Sato Tsuruga onsen, Akan national park, Hokkaido, Japan

Old Sep 4, 19, 2:05 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This lovely onsen, with many westernized rooms, is located right on the lake in a national park in north eastern Hokkaido. I booked the "Panoramic View Corner Suite (lake view). Price includes breakfast and dinner, but they are not kaiseki, they are buffets. Still, I'm going to claim that this hotel qualifies as a luxury one, at least in this type of accommodation. In addition to breakfast and dinner, suite guests get late night noodles and access to a lounge that mostly has tea available.

I am terrible at taking photos so please note that the room looks a lot nicer in person than these photos show. The room comes with a private rotenburo (mineral bath) and a walk-in closet. If is suite size but there is no dividing wall between the living room portion and the sitting room, so technically it isn't 110% a suite. There is a fridge, safe, humidifier, massage chair, and other goodies.

So here are my lousy photos:

Room entrance, bathroom to the left, toilet room to the right

Bed portion of the main room

Seating area to the left of the beds, as seen from the entrance.

Main seating area, beds are behind where this photo was taken from.

Walk-in closet.

Private bath with a view of the lake.

Suite guests are taken directly to the lounge and served tea and a sweet while check-in is going on. Also possible to avoid the front desk and check out from the lounge. Both lounge and room hallway access are controlled by little sensors given with the keys. Mandatory valet parking is included at no additional charge. And of course since this is Japan, there is absolutely no tipping, period.

Just got here on a two night stay, and I think I'm going to love this place!
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:33 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I love this bathes
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:52 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It looks very modern and nice. Hope you'll take some shots of the Lake for us.

They wouldn't do in-room kaiseki for an extra charge?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 6:17 am
Original Poster

OK, I was a little over the top in my original post, possibly because the previous night's hotel was so horrible.

I would now categorize this as an upscale place with luxury hard product. The dinner buffet was certainly nothing special but they do have at least one higher quality Japanese restaurant which probably could be included in a different package than the one I booked. There is no turndown service. And the a/c wouldn't pass the test of our local master. But this is still the best accommodation for many miles around, so that qualifies it for this forum. And Lake Akan is truly beautiful.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 8:51 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
the a/c wouldn't pass the test of our local master.
I'm local?

Sigh.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:08 am
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Would love to see what a Japanese dinner and lunch buffet look like please

fdw
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
Would love to see what a Japanese dinner and lunch buffet look like please

fdw
It's a large room with a lot of tables and serving stations at both ends. One end is Japanese food; it being Hokkaido, the majority is sea food. Next to that is a make-your-own salad station. On the other side there is a curry station, a Japanese-style Chinese station, a dessert station, and a general western station (beef stew, pasta, pizza, etc). Plenty of choices but in this particular hotel, nothing was made to order.; e.g. the tempura on the Japanese station was limp and not at all crisp.
Old Sep 4, 19, 3:17 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
It's a large room with a lot of tables and serving stations at both ends. One end is Japanese food; it being Hokkaido, the majority is sea food. Next to that is a make-your-own salad station. On the other side there is a curry station, a Japanese-style Chinese station, a dessert station, and a general western station (beef stew, pasta, pizza, etc). Plenty of choices but in this particular hotel, nothing was made to order.; e.g. the tempura on the Japanese station was limp and not at all crisp.
Oh dear. That doesn't good at all.
Old Sep 4, 19, 8:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Sounds like your typical Viking style buffet. Edible but that's all.
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 4, 19 at 8:53 pm

Search this Thread