Which Resort Near Singapore?

Old Aug 15, 19, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Privilege Club, Krisflyer
Which Resort Near Singapore?

FT folk, I am after some insight from the wealth of knowledge on here. Iíve contributed bits in my relatively short time on here, therefore feel it justified to seek some in return on this occasion.

I am late 20s and have travelled SE Asia pretty extensively with my wife over the last 5 years. We have done Vietnam, Thailand, Bali, Borneo plus parts of Malaysia.

For the next trip in April 2020, we are looking to combine Singapore (somehow never stopped here during the many connections weíve made at SIN) with a quality beach resort. I have trawled through the existing threads on here but felt consolidating advice into this one may be worthwhile.

Key for us is a non-existent, or at worst, a short LCC hop from SIN - weíve done longer ones at unsociable times before and past that now to be honest. For context, the plan is to do Singapore 4 nights and the beach resort for 5-6 nights.

Priorities in no particular order are: hotel on the beach, good food (just Ďgoodí could be OK), quality beach but sea doesnít have to be North Island-esque. Ideally looking for a pool with the room, however not a deal breaker if everything else checks out.

So far Iíve looked at Cempedak, Banyan Tree Bintan (although I believe this is in need of a renovation), Devasom Khao Lak, Pangkor Laut, Nikoi plus a few others. On this trip the Amans, some FS, Datai etc are out of budget.

Would be good to get first or secondhand views on this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 5:50 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Honestly, Bintan for 5-6 nights doesn't sound great. The sea is unswimmable, the beach is covered in trash (where the resort hasn't raked/cleared). The only reason anyone should realistically go to Bintan is if you already live in Singapore, or are in Singapore for whatever reason but only have 2 nights for a quick getaway (thus, flights wouldn't be worth it).
I covered the Sanchaya here - have a look: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/the-...-hotel-review/

You'd be better off going to Langkawi and staying at a lower priced resort there instead.
Old Aug 16, 19, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
Honestly, Bintan for 5-6 nights doesn't sound great. The sea is unswimmable, the beach is covered in trash (where the resort hasn't raked/cleared). The only reason anyone should realistically go to Bintan is if you already live in Singapore, or are in Singapore for whatever reason but only have 2 nights for a quick getaway (thus, flights wouldn't be worth it).
I covered the Sanchaya here - have a look: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/the-...-hotel-review/

You'd be better off going to Langkawi and staying at a lower priced resort there instead.
Thanks for the response. I have heard similar regarding Bintan so possibly not the right choice.

Iíve done Langkawi before but would consider again for the right hotel.
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Bawah Reserve. Transfers are included from Singapore.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by heb999 View Post
Bawah Reserve. Transfers are included from Singapore.
No private pools (until they add one to the Deluxe Beach Suite units) and would also likely be out of budget seeing as Amans/The Datai are out of budget. Otherwise would be good for a 5 night getaway with the transfers included and 5th night free if already in Singapore.

Originally Posted by MattHall View Post
Thanks for the response. I have heard similar regarding Bintan so possibly not the right choice.

Iíve done Langkawi before but would consider again for the right hotel.
Ah okay not sure if that would interest again - where in Langkawi did you stay before? Although maybe not quite the right fit for this forum, The Andaman is perhaps something to consider although it's old/needs work. Great location next to The Datai. I think they do have some pool suites as well although you probably pay a fair whack for these (and I would probably forgo them if priced similarly to entry level room at The Datai).
Old Aug 18, 19, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
No private pools (until they add one to the Deluxe Beach Suite units) and would also likely be out of budget seeing as Amans/The Datai are out of budget. Otherwise would be good for a 5 night getaway with the transfers included and 5th night free if already in Singapore.

Ah okay not sure if that would interest again - where in Langkawi did you stay before? Although maybe not quite the right fit for this forum, The Andaman is perhaps something to consider although it's old/needs work. Great location next to The Datai. I think they do have some pool suites as well although you probably pay a fair whack for these (and I would probably forgo them if priced similarly to entry level room at The Datai).
We stayed in the FS last year in Langkawi. Very impressed but not sure I am ready to go again yet.

Currently looking at Khao Lak - the Sarojin or possibly the new Devasom there. That one is not necessarily relevant to here, but it does look nice and great value for money.

Please keep any more suggestions coming.
Old Aug 18, 19, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by MattHall View Post

We stayed in the FS last year in Langkawi. Very impressed but not sure I am ready to go again yet.

Currently looking at Khao Lak - the Sarojin or possibly the new Devasom there. That one is not necessarily relevant to here, but it does look nice and great value for money.

Please keep any more suggestions coming.
Ah okay - I was just at Four Seasons Langkawi. Where The Datai (and therefore The Andaman) is absolutely blows it away in terms of destination/as a location. Bear in mind I didn't get to actually visit The Andaman resort, though - The Datai is a somewhat different beast because of its location just behind the beach (whereas Andaman is right on it) which is a totally different experience. Having done Langkawi, I think what The Datai has done is actually perfect - it's not specifically a beach destination, it's a jungle destination with the added bonus of having a beach.

Sarojin would be a nice fit, great value. There's a few resorts in that area that are good value for money especially in the right season.

Search this Thread