Reload this Page >

Belmond Residence d'Angkor or Amansara

Old Aug 13, 19, 6:06 pm
Original Poster
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold

I've got another question relating to the hotels for this upcoming trip to Asia.
In Siem Reap, I see the Belmond Residence d'Angkor and the Amansara as the two main choices. The Belmond is a lot cheaper- showing as low as US$152 for my dates while the Aman is showing US$1150 as the lowest. No question the Aman is the better hotel. I'm just wondering if it's $1000 better.
Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old Aug 13, 19, 7:24 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

The guide we had an Aman was great and the history of the place is interesting, but the hotel was meh. Pool design absurd. I'd definitely recommend getting a cheaper hotel and opening a bottle of superb burgundy if you're committed to spending money. Bear in mind you get guides, transfers, and f/b so the delta may be 500.
wk989 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:32 pm

I don't agree that Belmond vs. Amansara would be the main choice. From what I know their Siem Reap property is not exactly Belmond's best in class.
Did you have a look at Zannier's Phum Baitang? I opted for Phum Baitang over Amansara because the price difference remained huge, even if you factor in Sara's inclusions.

We really liked Phum Baitang: it's a bit secluded but with easy acces to Angkor and the town, villa's are fantastic, service and F&B were very good and private excursions were great. Feel free to PM me for more information.
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:27 am

We too were having an issue on where to stay in Siem Reap. Amansara was 4 times the price of the Belmond and we thought the design seemed a bit blah so we decided on Belmond. Is it really not very good?
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:15 am
Original Poster
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you for mentioning the Phum Baitang! I hadn't seen it before and I think that's certainly where we'll stay- seems much nicer than the Belmond and I prefer the villas to Amansara's suites.
scented likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:41 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
+1 for Phum Baitang. Villas lovely, service and food good and a really relaxing vibe...
scented likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The Belmond is a travesty from what we've heard from numerous friends and colleagues who've stayed there. Don't do it.

The Amansara is spectacular, though it obviously has a 60s mod design that some seem to dislike. We loved it--and the service and F&B were true Aman. While it is more expensive, remember that your private guides and transport for all your daily excursions are included to see the many Angkor sites and temples--and their guides are among the very best in town. (I do know the PH also used the same group of guides.)

Finally, Amansara allowed us to modify our private excursions to whenever we wanted--period. That's proper luxury and proper service. You pay for it, but it gets delivered. We left later to avoid crowds and did all sorts of things that we wanted, when we wanted. You can't do that as easily at the lower price points.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:21 pm

Angkor is such a massively over-touristed place these days - especially in the dry season - that you need to have as much flexibility as possible to try and avoid the crowds and also visit less-visited temples. Amansara certainly did that for us. You need at the very minimum three nights.
FlyerEC, bhrubin and wk989 like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:37 pm

Iíve been meaning to write, so Iím glad you prompted me with this thread.

We spent 5 nights at Phum Baitang in June and had an absolutely *phenomenal* stay. I couldíve stayed even longer.

Giulio DíAlberto, the GM, is an absolute delight, the food we found to be better than many other places we stayed on the trip (including Amanoi), and for us the service was perfect ... with some team members going above and beyond.

Lastly, we were able to get guides, remourks, and see everything we wanted to see exactly as we wanted ... and for a fraction of what other places (looking at Amansara) cost.

I could not more highly recommend Phum Baitang ó I was genuinely sad to leave.
bhrubin and Epicura like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:45 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by aa213bb View Post
Iíve been meaning to write, so Iím glad you prompted me with this thread.

We spent 5 nights at Phum Baitang in June and had an absolutely *phenomenal* stay. I couldíve stayed even longer.

Giulio DíAlberto, the GM, is an absolute delight, the food we found to be better than many other places we stayed on the trip (including Amanoi), and for us the service was perfect ... with some team members going above and beyond.

Lastly, we were able to get guides, remourks, and see everything we wanted to see exactly as we wanted ... and for a fraction of what other places (looking at Amansara) cost.

I could not more highly recommend Phum Baitang ó I was genuinely sad to leave.
That's the best endorsement yet for Phum Baitang as far as I'm concerned. Consider me convinced that Amansara may have true competition now, after all. I still loved Amansara...but I'd now consider Phum Baitang if ever we were to return.
aa213bb likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 5:58 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
That's the best endorsement yet for Phum Baitang as far as I'm concerned. Consider me convinced that Amansara may have true competition now, after all. I still loved Amansara...but I'd now consider Phum Baitang if ever we were to return.
I've only visited and absolutely LOVED it (there's a video of my visit over plus a couple of pics somewhere). Thought the food was very weak at Phum Baitang but only had the one meal.
Only thing to consider is its' not a hotel to pick if you plan to go into Siem Reap town for dinner/drinsk every evening - it's quite far out (no real problem if you have the hotel's transport, just something to consider). It doesn't affect any trips to Angkor, distance wise.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 9:03 pm

I’d slightly disagree with this, chinmoy. Though we did not go into Siem Reap every night, we did a couple of times, and other guests did daily. Though your point remains - it certainly is not in the thick of things like other places.

I have to say, despite going to several highly recommended spots, we truly found the food at PB to be superior. Even the cocktails, versus a place like Miss Wongs, which we found disappointingly bad.

I should caveat, we *only* ate Cambodian at PB.

Search this Thread