Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

? to dress or not to dress or what about some decency ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

? to dress or not to dress or what about some decency ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Well its a good thing I dont to fancy restaurants.... I think most everyone would be applauded if I showed up with a Hawaiian shirt and a shorts, or linen pants.. and a pair of Berks
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Fantastic resumée

Originally Posted by CKA1
I'm of two minds on the topic. Yes, a restaurant in a major area which isn't an all inclusive needs to make money. But it's still kind of special to eat when people take care as to what they wear.
C.
Fantastic resumée ! Thank you !

To avoid any misunderstanding, dress can be casual and still elegant. This includes tailored shorts and nice shoes.

My point was those horrible "boardshorts" or "swimshorts" in which certain men appear to pass their life, from pool to table literally. Wonder if they are also sleeping in them, of course removing the flip flops. No racism here, as this "fashion" is overlapping to Europe. Meanwhile women dress much more appropriately with mostly attractive swimming suits and nice garments in the evening. Perhaps the sloppy appearance of men is an expression of oppression and dominance of women........ Women are objects of sexual desire and men can do whatever on their domination trip.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:50 am

I would rather have a badly dressed well behaved person than a well dressed badly behaved one.

Cannot abide the stupid outdated dress codes at MO club lounge and Shang Valley Wing in Singapore. I have watched them turn away a family arriving for breakfast because the teenage kids were in shorts and T shirts! Meanwhile we to have to sit amongst little old women in the equivalent of the M & S grandma clothing range, skin coloured tights and cheap black court shoes which are apparently acceptable for breakfast.

What is so offensive about wearing flip flops during the day especially in hot, humid countries...the Shang tell me it is because they are made of rubber, they did a survey. So I now have a pair of leather ones to try out on them next time I stay
jerseytom likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Wink flip flops

Originally Posted by Cyan123
What is so offensive about wearing flip flops during the day especially in hot, humid countries...the Shang tell me it is because they are made of rubber, they did a survey. So I now have a pair of leather ones to try out on them next time I stay
We are talking flip flops and "swim"shorts for dinner at a three Michelin star restaurant with air conditioning. And not your nice leather ones
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Dress codes should be respected and we should maintain some level of standards where required. I was recently in Hong Kong and wanted to go to a three star restaurant so I checked in advance if they had a dress code (they did). Since it was summer and I knew I would be tired from travelling and wanted to wear shorts, I decided not to go. Its pretty simple. Their restaurant, their rules.

Sometimes its nice to be in an environment where everyone is dressed nicely. If that's not your thing, which is absolutely fine, then simply don't go. No need to be all selfish about it.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by behuman
We are talking flip flops and "swim"shorts for dinner at a three Michelin star restaurant with air conditioning. And not your nice leather ones
I am happy to know they would be acceptable at a 3* Michelin restaurant...the pink ones have sparkly bits as well so I am confident the Shang staff are going to be suitable impressed!
behuman likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by benjai
Dress codes should be respected and we should maintain some level of standards where required. I was recently in Hong Kong and wanted to go to a three star restaurant so I checked in advance if they had a dress code (they did). Since it was summer and I knew I would be tired from travelling and wanted to wear shorts, I decided not to go. Its pretty simple. Their restaurant, their rules.

Sometimes its nice to be in an environment where everyone is dressed nicely. If that's not your thing, which is absolutely fine, then simply don't go. No need to be all selfish about it.
As stupid as I find dress-codes I have my own opinion what is appropriate or not. Flip Flop or Shorts arenīt in my eyes at dinner. This said I strongly doule the statement "If that's not your thing, which is absolutely fine, then simply don't go". You may of course ask like bhrubin for an excemption which is fine (I would never ask for "permission", but there is nothing wrong about it) but if they insist on it you are always able to say "no". Some restaurants refuse to cater me due my diet, also fine. I ask in advance and if they arenīt able or ready to do what I like they shall do business with someone else.

Same (and this thread is about it I believe) with hotels. In 99% Iīm not forced to stay in one special hotel. If I donīt like their dress code or Iīm simply not ready to follow someone who tells me how to dress (sometimes Iīm a rebel) or I think they "donīt deserve my suit" itīs fine. I stay elsewere in the hope the other hotel fits me better. If I think I have nevertheless to stay at this one hotel I should be ready to follow its rules.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I myself was just involved in and helped win a battle in one of London's better Gentleman's Clubs over relaxing the dress code in line with what our current members actually want, rather than the expectations of a rather fusty old group of men who were now the minority.
Does that mean the 'devil's fabric' is now permitted? Perhaps before 1800?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I feel like I rarely even notice what other people are wearing, short of it being something completely wild with bright pastel colors out of a 90's music video. Even then... I am infinitely more likely to notice or be put off by someone being loud and obnoxious than by what they're wearing. I'd much rather be next to someone dressed casual but being quiet and polite, than someone dressed very nicely but being loud, obnoxious, or snobby and rude.

If a place has a dress code than by all means, respect it or stay someone else. If not, I'm really not bothered or paying attention. At a restaurant, I'm focused on my meal and company. Getting in and out of a hotel or resort I'm focused on my plans for the day. In an around an airport I'm entirely focused on flight status, gate or lounge locations, whatever.

But perhaps I'm just one of those uncultured swine from the Colonies, or an engineer with no sense of class and style
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:08 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don;t think this thread is going anywhere productive now, so I'm closing it. Future discussions should be in Omni.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.