Wiki Posts
Search

Is it just me, or is 4S declining?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:11 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Aventine
Definitely. A classic example would be Four Seasons Jeju, South Korea. Not many people outside of Korea have ever even heard of Jeju but it has a Four Seasons coming. Jeju is considered the Hawaii of Korea but not really a world luxury vacation hotspot. I guess they will get well-off domestic vacationers and some rich East Asian guests but that's it.
Jeju is one of China's popular wedding spots. That's all the FS would need.
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Jeju is one of China's popular wedding spots. That's all the FS would need.
If that's the justification then...

😂😂
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

😂😂
LOL

that sounds horrible :-)
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

No hotel or FS should be banking on the Chinese market. All the Korean duty free sales shops learned the hard way. I'd have been satisfied with they're trying to take premium domestic customers from Shilla or Lotte. The FS is also in the Shinhwa entertainment park complex.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:43 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

😂😂
It IS risible to think that you know what you’re talking about.

Last I checked, luxury properties are growing their mainland footprints, too. Knowing that,
they should probably just open a separate wing for smokers, because no one in that country obeys no smoking-signs anyway.

Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by BENLEE
I can't even recall in the recent times when was the last time I was truely impressed by a Four Seasons property... Oh yes, there is one, the FS in Istanbul but that's 4 years ago. Most stays are rather underwhelming and forgetable. One of my pet gripe is their stubborn insistence on giving me spa credits instead of F&B credits when booking under Virtuoso of FSPP. Nowadays I then to stay at RC or MO properties more often.
Hampshire is moving to spa credit rather than F&B credit for FHR in 2020. Not sure about Virtuoso.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Raffles
Hampshire is moving to spa credit rather than F&B credit for FHR in 2020. Not sure about Virtuoso.
Glad I visit now. This Spa credit is useless for me
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:43 pm

In my experience there are different tiers of Four Seasons properties. There are the older properties that haven’t been updated and the new flagship ones. A classic example would be Four Seasons at the Surf Club v’s Four Seasons Miami. One is a really on trend resort and the other an ageing business aimed hotel in the financial district. I’m sure they both have the same brand standards but the hard products (and prices) are poles apart. It’s nice to see Four Seasons giving some love to their older properties in great locations that have started to lag behind. For example, Four Seasons Palm Beach where I stayed last week (thanks @BESVISOR!) is one of the older properties which is being brought up to the same standard as Four Seasons at the Surf Club. They’re using the same pool deck designers and similar interior design schemes and it’s looking fabulous. The service was absolutely on point as well - Four Seasons at its very best. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the newly refurbished suites and it’s a really comprehensive refurbishment - totally redone.

With regards spa v’s F&B credit; any good TA can get this changed for you. I ask all the time for it to be done at hotels and I’ve never had the request turned down. That said we enjoyed using our resort credit at FS Palm Beach towards the cost of our pool cabana.

We’ve stayed in many of the chains / collections as a family; Oetker, Dorchester Collection, St Regis, Rosewood, One&Only but we’re always consistently happy with Four Seasons. There’s something very special about their entire approach - especially for those who travel with children - it’s nice to feel totally welcome. I love that their hotels and service are not stuffy or pretentious; that suits me perfectly. When this is combined into their new flagship properties it’s a winning formula for us.
francophile, Pufnstuf and BESVISOR like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by jp-mco
In my experience there are different tiers of Four Seasons properties. There are the older properties that haven’t been updated and the new flagship ones. A classic example would be Four Seasons at the Surf Club v’s Four Seasons Miami. One is a really on trend resort and the other an ageing business aimed hotel in the financial district. I’m sure they both have the same brand standards but the hard products (and prices) are poles apart. It’s nice to see Four Seasons giving some love to their older properties in great locations that have started to lag behind. For example, Four Seasons Palm Beach where I stayed last week (thanks @BESVISOR!) is one of the older properties which is being brought up to the same standard as Four Seasons at the Surf Club. They’re using the same pool deck designers and similar interior design schemes and it’s looking fabulous. The service was absolutely on point as well - Four Seasons at its very best. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the newly refurbished suites and it’s a really comprehensive refurbishment - totally redone.
That's because FS Surf Club and Palm beach have the same owner.
vuittonsofstyle and BESVISOR like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by scented
That's because FS Surf Club and Palm beach have the same owner.
Yes, Fort Capital Management (Nadim Ashi). It’s nice to see FS Palm Beach getting some love because it’s in a fantastic location!
vuittonsofstyle and BESVISOR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.