Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Bali with teenagers

Best Luxury Hotel in Bali with teenagers

Old Aug 11, 19, 7:36 am
  #1  
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Posts: 318
Best Luxury Hotel in Bali with teenagers

We are taking the kids (ages 15 and 13) to Bali next summer and trying to figure out the best hotel to stay at. Will likely book a 2 or 3 bedroom Villa somewhere. But want to make sure they have water sports or other teen/kids activities at the resort. They are still too young to go to the clubs/bars. Was looking at the Four Seasons Jimbaran, Ritz Carlton, and St Regis but open to any ideas. Thanks
SeeTheLights is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 12:03 pm
  #2  
formerly known as deathscar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Posts: 1,813
All of those would be fine options with the kids, you might also want to look at The Legian.
SeeTheLights likes this.
chinmoylad is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 12:16 pm
  #3  
Aman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: OSL
Posts: 2,077
Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
All of those would be fine options with the kids, you might also want to look at The Legian.
I was just going to suggest the Legian where we stayed with our teenage son 3 years ago. The hotel is very good and well located. Maybe the decor feels a bit dated, but all really well maintained. There are a number of activities fit for teenagers on offer, including surfing lessons and other water based activities. Also the area itself is upmarket but lively with plenty of shopping (including surf-fashion etc for teenagers) and many different great restaurants nearby. A visit to Changgu would also be good, it is very close by. A number of really good full service beach clubs there, including Finns and La Brisa, both cool for teenagers (and good for the parents as well). Of course the Legian has a very nice beach club with pool and loungers and great service, but our son likes to go to some more lively places some times.
SeeTheLights likes this.
Musken is offline  
Old Aug 11, 19, 5:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Posts: 387
I'd probably suggest Nusa Dua. The St Regis and Ritz-Carlton both would have options (as you've identified). Aman Villas perhaps? Nusa Dua can feel a bit isolated and removed from 'Bali' though which is where Jimbaran as a location has a slight advantage (Four Seasons).

In Seminyak, it's a shame that The Oberoi doesn't have multi-bedroom villas for you (could be wrong). I love it there. Seminyak has some good places to take kids - I've been at Motel Mexicola before and seen families really enjoying the very lively atmosphere there. There are plenty of great places to eat in Seminyak area. Only issue is that the beach here is horrible - I've been to Bali many times and have never stepped foot in the ocean when staying at Seminyak.

You could also look at Uluwatu. I've been hearing Alila has been on a downward slide for a while now, so perhaps Bulgari there - visited friends staying in one of their multi-room 'Mansions' and it was great. They have a private beach club too.

Be careful with public/paid beach clubs in Bali - personally, I can't stand the crowd they sometimes draw - Finns in Canggu when I visited was horrible (water in the pool was disgusting) and I was violently ill within 24 hours of being there (thankfully just for an afternoon).
SeeTheLights likes this.
sydakllon is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 1:46 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
Hmmm.... Depends on what they wanna do really. Most of the large resorts in Bali have more or less the same amenities? I would strongly advise agaist Ritz Carlton Bali (in Nusa Dua), we had a pleathora of problems and issues and management was grossly underwhelming in every way. The huge chinese wedding parties and lackluster attention to details such as cleaning and upkeep killed it for us.

Both Four Seasons properties are nice, but they are OLD and need a lot of work. I know tripadvisor and other places where bloggers hang out love them both, and they are pretty, but ever ever so OLD and details are hardly like modern european, middle east or american four seasons properties. The pool area in Sayan is tiny and dingy, and Villa pools are often cold'ish due to partially being in the shade (except for a couple of the very large villas). I did not try Mandapa, but according to friends its better value than Sayan.

Our teen enjoyed Como Uma Canggu - mainly beacuse the beach is walkable, there is a few tiny backpacker hamlets nearby with a cool vibe and food/drink scene and other young people. You can actually walk outside the resort and see other things without getting into a taxi or whatnot. In general it has a more "young" vibe than the more traditional chain resorts.
MorganDK is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 8:22 am
  #6  
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by MorganDK View Post
Hmmm.... Depends on what they wanna do really. Most of the large resorts in Bali have more or less the same amenities? I would strongly advise agaist Ritz Carlton Bali (in Nusa Dua), we had a pleathora of problems and issues and management was grossly underwhelming in every way. The huge chinese wedding parties and lackluster attention to details such as cleaning and upkeep killed it for us.

Both Four Seasons properties are nice, but they are OLD and need a lot of work. I know tripadvisor and other places where bloggers hang out love them both, and they are pretty, but ever ever so OLD and details are hardly like modern european, middle east or american four seasons properties. The pool area in Sayan is tiny and dingy, and Villa pools are often cold'ish due to partially being in the shade (except for a couple of the very large villas). I did not try Mandapa, but according to friends its better value than Sayan.

Our teen enjoyed Como Uma Canggu - mainly beacuse the beach is walkable, there is a few tiny backpacker hamlets nearby with a cool vibe and food/drink scene and other young people. You can actually walk outside the resort and see other things without getting into a taxi or whatnot. In general it has a more "young" vibe than the more traditional chain resorts.
thank you. This is really helpful. They are mostly into water sports and hanging at the beach, etc. Just looking for something luxurious but also has some activities. Most information I find online seems focused on kids under 12 (kids club, small waterslides, etc)
SeeTheLights is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 8:28 am
  #7  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,760
While we have seen families ( other guests ) with teenagers staying at Amankila at various times , it has not been more than 2 families each time . But they seemed to be enjoying themselves particularly on the beach or Beach Club .
Kila has 2 bedrooms for their Amankila Suite with butlers . We have enjoyed staying with family including children ( occupied a few suites ) . Has the largest pool of all the suites .

Just back from Amanpuri & finally “ completed “ TR from last month ‘ s stay .. post 58
Amankila - Great First Foray into Aman or
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ool-suite-3372
You can perhaps also look at my TR “ Celebrating 25 years , Amankila “ post 362 in

Amanresorts Thread 2017

or

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-amankila-2091
SeeTheLights likes this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 12, 19 at 8:38 am
FlyerEC is online now  
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:29 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Posts: 114
If I were going to Bali with teenagers, especially with active and curious teenagers, I would choose - despite it being a short hop away - Nihi Sumba.
SeeTheLights and sydakllon like this.
Zephyrous is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:46 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,157
Nihi Sumba seems to be pricing itself a bit out of the market these days. Prices are sky high and reviews are still a bit mixed. I would go to Laucala instead when spending more than 5k EUR/night.

We were at Kila only 2 weeks ago and our boys are 15 and 16. They had a good time and Ernst and Florian really did their very best to accommodate the boys. My initial plan was to head to Amanwana for the beach part of our Indonesian holidays but I booked very last minute and it was just too much hassle this time. If your boys could be interested in diving/snorkeling I would really look into Amanwana. You can easily combine with a few nights in one of the hotels in the more busy areas. The Legian will also open a sister property in Lombok by the way.
SeeTheLights likes this.
Epicura is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:42 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80
I would personally prefer something along the lines of Uma Canggu over Amankila with teens. At like half or a third of the price its maybe 25% less nice than kila and it has actual real life stuff to go do - thats walkable. They can safely walk to the hippie backpacker areas, there are beach food stands, surfers, kids, dogs and “real people” in Canggu - and personally I liked the fact that everyone else that were young from the surrounding hotels ate and drank at Uma Canggu. Their rooftop rooms with private pools are really nice. Cleaning and service is clumsy compared to Aman though.

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights View Post


thank you. This is really helpful. They are mostly into water sports and hanging at the beach, etc. Just looking for something luxurious but also has some activities. Most information I find online seems focused on kids under 12 (kids club, small waterslides, etc)
SeeTheLights and Epicura like this.
MorganDK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread