Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Who is this person and should I be tipping him?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is this person and should I be tipping him?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
This is something that bothers me with the American culture too.

Last week, while staying at a Ritz-Carlton, I didn't tip the valet nor the bell man at arrival because I didn't have any cash on me.
When I explained to the valet I would tip him on departure, his answer was that mentioning his name on TripAdvisor would make up for not tipping now.
When the bell man left our suite without a tip, I heard him mumble 'Aw man, this is the Ritz-Carlton, not a Holiday Inn'...

Southern hospitality is what they call that apparently.
This is saying a lot about the property and the service attitude of the “ladies and gentlemen” 🙄.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:45 pm

To be honest, most of the Ladies & Gentlemen were really friendly and did their work well! We had quite a nice stay all in all but these two experiences and the fact they blast the AC so hard you have to wear a thick sweater once you get out of your room, will make us stay at another hotel next time we’re in town.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:41 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
To be honest, most of the Ladies & Gentlemen were really friendly and did their work well! We had quite a nice stay all in all but these two experiences and the fact they blast the AC so hard you have to wear a thick sweater once you get out of your room, will make us stay at another hotel next time we’re in town.
Where is this RC? I'd like to visit immediately!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Where is this RC? I'd like to visit immediately!
This is so weird, but during my stay there I actually thought about 'that one guy on Flyertalk who's obsessed with the cold'
It's the RC New Orleans! Getting goose bumps just thinking about the place!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:05 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
This is so weird, but during my stay there I actually thought about 'that one guy on Flyertalk who's obsessed with the cold'
It's the RC New Orleans! Getting goose bumps just thinking about the place!
You've made my [frigid] day!

I do have some company here on FlyerTalk...but I assume the mantle proudly.
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
This is something that bothers me with the American culture too.

Last week, while staying at a Ritz-Carlton, I didn't tip the valet nor the bell man at arrival because I didn't have any cash on me.
When I explained to the valet I would tip him on departure, his answer was that mentioning his name on TripAdvisor would make up for not tipping now.
When the bell man left our suite without a tip, I heard him mumble 'Aw man, this is the Ritz-Carlton, not a Holiday Inn'...

Southern hospitality is what they call that apparently.
The counterintuitive part of that is I often assume, when paying for luxury resorts like FS, that the staff are properly compensated and that's part of the price increase over Holiday Inn. Especially when there is a surcharge for valet (above self-parking), or if parking is valet-only, I don't feel the need to tip a valet.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have the impression that some major luxury hotels treat their staff very well and have little turnover, although in some of these local labor markets, it must be difficult to find English speaking people who want to work as housekeepers etc.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
The counterintuitive part of that is I often assume, when paying for luxury resorts like FS, that the staff are properly compensated and that's part of the price increase over Holiday Inn. Especially when there is a surcharge for valet (above self-parking), or if parking is valet-only, I don't feel the need to tip a valet.
It definitely hurts when you pay over 50$ per 24hours for valet parking and then have to tip every single time you take the car out!
The problem is I mostly do not know the average parking prices in cities I've never been to and thus don't know if there's already an extra fee being charged for the valet parking.
So I always tip, even though it stings sometimes!
offerendum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.