Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Asia, preferably beach, October

Old Aug 7, 19, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Iíve got four nights for a quick getaway with the better half without kids in tow. Travelling from HK. Preferably Looking for beach resort with some interesting activities. Problem is weather in most of SEA in October is very dicey and donít really want to get rained out for four days.

Lead option at the moment is to brave the weather and go to El Nido, but with Pangalusian having renovations, Iím really not sure if we will be happy with the other el Nido resorts. Anyone with experience at these resorts? The other main option is Amanjiwo. Weather should be good, I understand it to be a fantastic Aman (but obviously culture not beach)

Weíve ruled out amanpulo, datai, bali, Maldives would be great but flights donít work. Also considered Krabey island in Cambodia etc. but not convinced about this area.

Any gems Iím missing that you could suggest? or opinions on el Nido / amanjiwo would be appreciated.
Old Aug 7, 19, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
The weather in Bali or Lombok would be okay.
Old Aug 8, 19, 2:42 pm

What about Alilia Koh Russey in Cambodia. I saw you considered the area generally, but this property looks good. https://www.alilahotels.com/kohrussey#top
Old Aug 8, 19, 4:03 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
@THEJOCK Assuming it's not late Oct. What about Amanoi? that might be a great option. While the beach isn't the main attraction and it's not a standout (the beach club is actually fantastic, though), at least it still has a beach and so many other aspects to appreciate there. Not to mention one of the best Amans at the moment. Amanjiwo is a great Aman but like you said, no beach. And views from an Ocean Pool Villa is stunning!

If it's early Oct, then Four Seasons Hoi An might still have a decent shot at being clear but I think the weather will likely be better at Amanoi.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Aug 8, 19 at 5:29 pm
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:30 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K
If you want good weather, go to Bali. (Not sure why you ruled this out, there are a couple of non-stops from HKG on decent airlines.)

If you're willing to chance the weather and ease of travel is most important, I'd fly to DAD and rent a villa at the Intercontinental (much nicer than Nam Hai IMHO and beautiful beach) Plenty to do around DaNang.
Old Aug 9, 19, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback, very helpful. Agree with the comments that Bali / Lombok area ticks all the boxes and certainly the weather should be good. Actually, my wife is there early September, so that was the only reason for ruling it out. Vietnam, I had really only thought about six senses con dao as weather in the middle part can be very bad in October, but we would be going early October, so that might be viable. I’m also seriously considering bawah now, it would mean leaving a night earlier and it’s a mission to get there, but it looks like it could be something quite special and different.
Old Aug 9, 19, 7:09 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by THEJOCK View Post
Iíve got four nights for a quick getaway with the better half without kids in tow. Travelling from HK. Preferably Looking for beach resort with some interesting activities. Problem is weather in most of SEA in October is very dicey and donít really want to get rained out for four days.

Lead option at the moment is to brave the weather and go to El Nido, but with Pangalusian having renovations, Iím really not sure if we will be happy with the other el Nido resorts. Anyone with experience at these resorts? The other main option is Amanjiwo. Weather should be good, I understand it to be a fantastic Aman (but obviously culture not beach)

Weíve ruled out amanpulo, datai, bali, Maldives would be great but flights donít work. Also considered Krabey island in Cambodia etc. but not convinced about this area.

Any gems Iím missing that you could suggest? or opinions on el Nido / amanjiwo would be appreciated.
I don't get how Amanpulo doesn't work re: flights but Pangulasian does? You need to arrive at the hangar a LOT earlier for Pangulasian than you do for Amanpulo as a reference point.

For a short stay, Bali is probably your best bet for weather, but Phuket/Samui might work if you want to risk it for no hassle and short flights. You aren't going to get *GUARANTEED* great weather anywhere really...
We've usually travelled to Phuket especially in low season and I've always had great weather. My parents were just at The SUrin for 4 nights a couple of weeks back (low season) and it was beautiful. Only thing to consider for Phuket is the sea might not be conducive to swimming around that time on the western shores.

Originally Posted by flyerwma View Post
What about Alilia Koh Russey in Cambodia. I saw you considered the area generally, but this property looks good. https://www.alilahotels.com/kohrussey#top
Not the easiest to get to just for a 3-4 night getaway, but also avoid - the property despite recently opening is rather run down (they've been 'ready' for a long time but only opened now and it's in a bit of disrepair and they will renovate again soon).
The Six Senses nearby by all accounts is nicer, but doesn't really have much of a beach (!) unless you get their 2-bedroom which has a private beach.
The above is only from guest feedback, I haven't visited myself.
Old Aug 9, 19, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by THEJOCK View Post
Thanks all for the feedback, very helpful. Agree with the comments that Bali / Lombok area ticks all the boxes and certainly the weather should be good. Actually, my wife is there early September, so that was the only reason for ruling it out. Vietnam, I had really only thought about six senses con dao as weather in the middle part can be very bad in October, but we would be going early October, so that might be viable. Iím also seriously considering bawah now, it would mean leaving a night earlier and itís a mission to get there, but it looks like it could be something quite special and different.
We stayed at Bawah in April. The location is breathtakingly beautiful, the sea great for swimming and the seaplane transfers very comfortable. We stayed in an overwater bungalow which I would recommend. Another bonus was that the massages are all included.
sydakllon likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post

Not the easiest to get to just for a 3-4 night getaway, but also avoid - the property despite recently opening is rather run down (they've been 'ready' for a long time but only opened now and it's in a bit of disrepair and they will renovate again soon).
The Six Senses nearby by all accounts is nicer, but doesn't really have much of a beach (!) unless you get their 2-bedroom which has a private beach.
The above is only from guest feedback, I haven't visited myself.
Thanks for the above. Do you have sources for the information, particularly the ďdisrepair and they will renovate again soonĒ portion? If accurate, I would like to find out more. But I donít want to trade on on spread rumor either.

Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 19, 5:31 pm

I'm in similar situation here. have around ~3 nights before flying from BKK to Bhutan end of Sept/early Oct. Trying to fit a preferably beach destination (or anywhere with different scenaries than Bhutan)
don't really want to go to Phuket because of rainy season and Indonesia seems way too far
So now the options seems like: 1) Amanoi 2) Six senses Kraby Island or Alila 3) InterContinental Danang (if I want to chance the weather)
What about Laos? (rosewood seems very beautiful) Is 3 nights enough to do a meaningful trip there?
or open to other suggestions!
Old Sep 1, 19, 5:53 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Originally Posted by bluebubble View Post
I'm in similar situation here. have around ~3 nights before flying from BKK to Bhutan end of Sept/early Oct. Trying to fit a preferably beach destination (or anywhere with different scenaries than Bhutan)
don't really want to go to Phuket because of rainy season and Indonesia seems way too far
So now the options seems like: 1) Amanoi 2) Six senses Kraby Island or Alila 3) InterContinental Danang (if I want to chance the weather)
What about Laos? (rosewood seems very beautiful) Is 3 nights enough to do a meaningful trip there?
or open to other suggestions!
Given it might be end of Sep, I would highly vote for Amanoi (even though, not best viewed as a beach resort), if you have't been, yet. Depending on dates, non-stop flights between BKK is possible as well.

Cheers!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
For anyone looking at Cambodia, do not stay at Alila. We arrived yesterday for a 3 night stay and immediately contacted Six Senses to move today. The hotel is terribly run down - it isn't the team's fault but there is clearly shoddy materials used for the building and I would definitely not pay the price offered. Six Senses Krabey is in another league - there isn't much of a beach but the rooms, spa, F+B and activities are great.

Not beach (but given Laos is mentioned, I'll provide it as an option) - Bensley Wild is extraordinary and worth the price tag. From check-in until check-out, all was amazing. And very relaxing as you are in such a different environment, you can't help but forget the day-to-day. You need to be quite fit to enjoy the property but I can't speak highly enough.

Search this Thread