Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury(ish) Northeast US Resort for Xmas

Old Aug 3, 19, 10:05 am
Original Poster

For the first time in a long time we canít spend the Xmas holiday with our parents in the Midwest (due to wifeís pregnancy, canít travel at that time).

We are looking for the best New England (or upstate NY) to spend the actual holiday. Anyone who has done this before have any recommendations? Would be ideal to find a resort that has as luxury of accommodations as possible, that has a number of activities for toddler age kids, that is big enough to have activities on Christmas Day itself. Big plus if close to skiing. Would love to have access to a nicer town but not sure this really exists in the Notheast?

So far we are looking at the Omni Mount Washington, Lodge at Spruce Peak, and Whiteface Lodge. Seems like Mirror Lake Inn might be too small? Weíve been to Omni before and loved the family friendly vide but the food was a little off. Has anyone here spent the actual holiday at a resort in the NE and had a good experience?

thank you!
Old Aug 3, 19, 12:34 pm
Original Member

Mohonk Mountain House
https://www.mohonk.com/events/holida...tmas-newyears/

The Sagamore
https://www.thesagamore.com/activities/holidays/

https://www.cntraveler.com/readers-c...nd-top-resorts

http://www.luxurylink.com/5star/hotel-deals/new-england

https://aubergeresorts.com/newenglan...hoCUkYQAvD_BwE
Old Aug 3, 19, 4:31 pm

Mohonk Mountain House is a very old building. The outside photographs beautifully. Rooms can be small and dated. The spa has rave reviews in the magazines, but I wasn’t thrilled with it. We have stayed there a few times and I really wouldn’t return. It would be an hour or to Hunter Mountain. They have a covered ice skating rink and lots of trails to wander on. New Paltz is a college town that might be interesting for 30 minutes.

The Sagamore has a gorgeous location on Lake George. Rooms vary in sizes, if you are in the main building you might have a great view of the Lake. Although the view in the summer is much better than in the winter! We have a vacation home here and absolutely adore our view, in any season. If you end up in one of the newer buildings, there is no charm. It’s about a 35 minute drive to Gore Mountain. We haven’t been that crazy about massages there either. Many of the shops are seasonal and won’t be open.

I can’t remember if there were bad reviews of Lake Placid Lodge or Mirror Lake Inn, you might want to make sure that you don’t go there.

When we were a lot younger I always wanted to go to The Balsams in New Hampshire.

There is Rocking Horse Ranch in Highland, it has an indoor pool and lots of activities for kids, but it is not 5 star luxury. They are also about an hour to Hunter. Highland is also close to New Paltz.

From the NYC area, Rocking Horse Ranch and Mohonk are the closest.

Early last spring we had dinner at Troutbeck in Amenia, not sure what kind of activities they have for real little ones. The food was very good.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 4:48 pm
Original Member

Mohonk is a classic, historical institution, fabulous for kids, and the castle-like structure and setting is Christmas card perfect. Yes, some rooms are small but that has to do with how much one is willing to spend. There are many large rooms and suites and many connecting rooms. Food is not great but kids aren’t that fussy and the entire facility is kid friendly yet much for their parents to appreciate. I am not all that kid friendly, myself, but had a marvelous time at Monhonk twice with friends’ children.

The venue is a series of buildings erected at different times and, yes, all old and therein lies much charm and delight.

All meals inclusive, including a basic afternoon tea. All the many activities included (horse stuff is extra) as is the kids club.

I love that is is not a cookie-cutter place and that there are gathering rooms, spaces and niches everywhere. Always a new discovery around the corner.
Old Aug 3, 19, 6:25 pm

Not New England but the Hershey Hotel is fabulous and great for kids. It has an indoor pool and lots of holiday activities. The spa is great. The cottage rooms are spacious and have fireplaces. The Hotel will drive you over to the Hershey Lodge that has an indoor water park.
Old Aug 4, 19, 5:35 am

Mount Washington Hotel Bretton Woods, NH
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:46 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

We take the kids to Mohonk every year and love it. Historical charm; it feels like an European fairy tale. While weíve never been during winter (my parents have) Iím sure they have an abundance of activities. Furthermore it just must be gorgeous covered in snow. Food wise I find it better than I would have thought. In terms of rooms; they are a whole jumble. We are a family of five so we now get two rooms (connecting). My sisters usually get a jr suite of sorts which has a ln alcove area that is separate for the kids.

Fdw
KatW likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 3:18 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Living close to Vermont myself I think that state is probably your best bet for a great Christmas experience..... nearby Burlington has some decent cute dining options, shops and an eco-museum for the kids. Stowe itself has all the winter-sports plus dining. Hen of the Wood (family friendly) and the Pitcher Inn (more adult) come to mind. Spruce Point and Topnotch are the big resorts around. Field Guide and Edson Hill have been enjoyed by friends of mine. Happy Holidays?

Search this Thread