Reload this Page >

Kiawah vs sea island vs palmetto bluff with toddlers

Old Jul 31, 19, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Hey -

We're thinking about spending the 2nd or 3rd week of Sep with our (then) 1 year old and 3.5 year old somewhere down south. Trying to solve for being super kid friendly, a direct flight from Chicago, and Zika-friendly. All of these places get decent reviews, though the most recent posts here seem to be from 2013 - so I was wondering if anyone had any views on which is best if you're trying to optimize for (relatively little) kids.

Also looked Montage Laguna Beach but the flights a fair bit longer and I'm not sure its actually any better for the little ones.

Thanks in advance...!
Old Aug 1, 19, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K
Been to all three a couple of times. Was at sea island late last year. Service was much better than I had experienced at either Kiawah or Palmetto Bluff. Also kids activities seemed more visible at Sea Island.
Old Aug 1, 19, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Sea Island is great for kids. I have been going yearly for 45 years. Palmetto Bluff is nice as well, but not quite as good for the kids. Feel free to PM me if you need any room help.
Old Aug 2, 19, 2:02 pm

Check out Hilton Head

I would look at oceanfront homes, or on a path to ocean, in the Mariner section of Palmetto Dunes in Hilton Head to be very specific. Anything oceanside on Mooring Buoy Road. Or on ocean side on Ocean Lane. We like Palmetto Dunes because its mid-island. Not of fan of Sea Pines. Been going to HH since 1977 as a young person. Started taking our own as toddlers in 1992.

You can see on VRBO map.
Old Aug 6, 19, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks all - I think we'll go for Sea Island rather than a rental as it effectively comes with a lot more hotel-like amenities.
Old Aug 6, 19, 7:42 am

Did you consider Amelia Island? Itís very similar to the other areas you mentioned and not far away but the water is much nicer.
Old Aug 6, 19, 3:20 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by pauljeff View Post
Thanks all - I think we'll go for Sea Island rather than a rental as it effectively comes with a lot more hotel-like amenities.
The homes at Montage are treated just like the hotel rooms... even if you book with the owner directly I believe.
Several friends spend the last weeks of August at Montage and enjoy it with kids. However, their children are much older (oldest being 14)
Old Aug 6, 19, 5:27 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ABG View Post
The homes at Montage are treated just like the hotel rooms... even if you book with the owner directly I believe.
Several friends spend the last weeks of August at Montage and enjoy it with kids. However, their children are much older (oldest being 14)
This is good to know. I consider villa/house rentals ONLY when attached to luxury resort/hotel and supplied with those services and amenities.
Old Aug 7, 19, 6:21 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Having been to Montage PB, their Residences are very good for families. Much prefer the Residences over Village Homes. The Residences are owned by Montage. More up to date and comes with golf cart and 4 bikes. Not sure the Village Homes come with a golf cart but if not, I'm sure it can be rented as well. You'd want one to get around this place/estate. Solid amount of things (both indoors and outdoors) for everyone to do.
Like the community feel this place has. Food was/is weak, though.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Aug 7, 19 at 6:26 am
Old Oct 6, 19, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Just following up on this - we ended up staying at Sea Island for the 3rd week of Sep in one of their 4BR ocean residences. 4 adults and 4 kids between 1 and 4.

We had an amazing time - 2 mins walk to the pool + our own kitchen + all the kids activities (incl soft play and arcade) meant the kids had a great time, we were sometimes the only people in the pool, and when we turned up at the Italian restaurant at the cloister we weren't at all looked down on despite being a lot less grand than most of the rest of the clientele.

Would highly recommend and love to go again. Only poss downside is that we went at a very quiet time, I suspect some of our love of the place came from having it (almost) to ourselves.
Old Oct 7, 19, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by pauljeff View Post
Just following up on this - we ended up staying at Sea Island for the 3rd week of Sep in one of their 4BR ocean residences. 4 adults and 4 kids between 1 and 4.

We had an amazing time - 2 mins walk to the pool + our own kitchen + all the kids activities (incl soft play and arcade) meant the kids had a great time, we were sometimes the only people in the pool, and when we turned up at the Italian restaurant at the cloister we weren't at all looked down on despite being a lot less grand than most of the rest of the clientele.

Would highly recommend and love to go again. Only poss downside is that we went at a very quiet time, I suspect some of our love of the place came from having it (almost) to ourselves.
I am glad you loved it. It is a special place and late September is a great time to visit.
Old Oct 10, 19, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Valveking View Post
I am glad you loved it. It is a special place and late September is a great time to visit.
Yeah - if only more hotels were like it and had family sized spaces! I was excited to see that it was twinned with the Broadmoor but that doesn't seem to have any comparable villa rental options.
Old Oct 10, 19, 10:43 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Valveking View Post
Sea Island is great for kids. I have been going yearly for 45 years. Palmetto Bluff is nice as well, but not quite as good for the kids. Feel free to PM me if you need any room help.
I agree- been to sea island several times. Service at Sea Island is also quite good

Search this Thread