Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best house reef SEA july / august?

Old Jul 31, 19, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat

I'm going to Singapore 2020 late July, and I love combining my trips with fine dining and high tempo cities and super relax on a nice beach. I've been scouring this forums for quite some time and gotten a few tips, but the time of the year is pretty special for South East Asia's weather (many places are in monsoon season).

I know where I want to go in Singapore, but where and what hotel should I choose for an excellent house reef and snorkeling a few hours flight away from Singapore? Indonesia seems to have the best weather that time of the year? My preferences for hotels is location, hard product and F&B, with less focus on (over the top) service.

Amanwana looks cool, any other suggestions? Never been to Bali either, but I haven't heard good things about beaches / house reefs, please educate me
Old Jul 31, 19, 6:50 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Nihi Sumba ?
Not sure about reef but seems a decent beach resort
Lambi likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 10:23 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I am not the most experienced diver/snorkeler here, but in my experience the house reef at Amanwana is the best house reef I have seen anywhere in the world. And the diving is pretty spectacular.
FlyerEC, Lambi and vuittonsofstyle like this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 11:09 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Originally Posted by Lambi View Post
I'm going to Singapore 2020 late July, and I love combining my trips with fine dining and high tempo cities and super relax on a nice beach. I've been scouring this forums for quite some time and gotten a few tips, but the time of the year is pretty special for South East Asia's weather (many places are in monsoon season).

I know where I want to go in Singapore, but where and what hotel should I choose for an excellent house reef and snorkeling a few hours flight away from Singapore? Indonesia seems to have the best weather that time of the year? My preferences for hotels is location, hard product and F&B, with less focus on (over the top) service.

Amanwana looks cool, any other suggestions? Never been to Bali either, but I haven't heard good things about beaches / house reefs, please educate me
Awanwanna is certainly a great option!

Just adding to the list...Not sure if this is too adventurous for you but I've had good feedback from friends and clients from their stays at the new Bawah Reserve in Indonesia. Quick flights from Singapore. It's a bit rustic and private but great for water activities. But a lot of areas at the resort won't have AC. Just in the bedroom. Luxury all inclusive property.
https://www.bawahreserve.com
Lambi likes this.
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:25 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
I am not the most experienced diver/snorkeler here, but in my experience the house reef at Amanwana is the best house reef I have seen anywhere in the world. And the diving is pretty spectacular.
+1

This would be my recommendation at this time of year (considering most of Asia is in wet season).

Nihi gets outstanding feedback, but there isn't a focus on underwater experiences so much there. They're running some offers - I'm looking at a 4th night free there for Sept for a client.
Lambi likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 3:54 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Agree about Amanwana. Here’s our 10 year old trip report. Pictures at the end.
Trip Report: St. Regis SIN, Amandari, Amanwana, Amanusa

Perhaps someone can comment on more recent experience there.
FlyerEC and Lambi like this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 9:15 am

Bali has no real snorkelling and I don't rate its beaches either. However, Lombok does have some good beaches and I fairly recently snorkelled off a little island called Gili Kondo - this is off the east coast of Lombok, so tricky to get to, but the coral and fish life was outstanding. You can also have world class snorkelling further east towards Komodo and the western end of Flores. And the area around Manado in northern Sulawesi is also excellent. These areas are far from luxury hotels so in this respect Amansnorkel is probably the only choice. The lack of a pool or a beach helps keep out the riff-raff.

I also remember some exhilarating snorkelling in the Phi Phi Islands, Thailand. In particular huge numbers of sea snakes - so curious they swam right up to your mask. Of course, this zone was caught up in the tsunami and I don't know how the reefs suffered and/or recovered.
Lambi likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Aug 2, 19 at 12:10 am
Old Aug 2, 19, 4:34 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Amanwana or Bawah Reserve if you need a luxury resort.

Our Bawah video covers some underwater aspects (video was taken in February)
The reef is still recovering.

If not sticking to one resort, why not do the Komodo trip with Aman on the cruise (if budget allows/other people to join etc). There are also more economical options other than Aman that don't require a private charter or minimum nights/scheduled journeys, or slightly larger ships (Aqua now runs in Komodo for instance - beautifully boutique but not a private charter).
Old Aug 2, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
Amanwana or Bawah Reserve if you need a luxury resort.

Our Bawah video covers some underwater aspects (video was taken in February)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkJUGFXm6zs
The reef is still recovering.

If not sticking to one resort, why not do the Komodo trip with Aman on the cruise (if budget allows/other people to join etc). There are also more economical options other than Aman that don't require a private charter or minimum nights/scheduled journeys, or slightly larger ships (Aqua now runs in Komodo for instance - beautifully boutique but not a private charter).
Bawah looks good, but I think it's overpriced for what you get. I love overwater villas, but they don't supply any privacy at Bawah + Maldives price point. I'll definitely do a multi resort, but the Aman cruise is a bit above my budget. I'm considering doing Singapore + Bali (the Legian or Mandapa perhaps, the Aman Bali resorts seem too quiet considering doing Amanwana after) + Amanwana. If it's not extremely special (such as my last Maldives trip) I don't enjoy spending more than $1200 a night.
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
If not sticking to one resort, why not do the Komodo trip with Aman
Some people here may have read that the Indonesian government is to close Komodo Island for all visitors from January. The initial talk is of a year's closure and then hiking up the visitors' fee from the current $10 or so to perhaps $1000, making it in line with gorilla treks in Africa.

This move is due to over-tourism - specifically the large numbers of cruise ships which dock and send sometimes thousands of people ashore to see the dragons. Unsurprisingly, this stupidity and greed of the authorities has led to a catastrophic decline in the environment and also a decline in the deer which are the dragons' main prey. I think the pink beach area of the island will remain open. I'm not sure about the neighbouring island of Rinca where dragons reside in smaller numbers and where I went ashore a few years back.
Old Aug 2, 19, 9:43 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
You're starting from Singapore, so these suggestions are silly but:

- best house reef I have seen was at Hotel Bora Bora, right in front of the resort. This, sadly, is no longer an option. The other resorts on Bora Bora don't seem to compare.
- A close second was Lizard Island

My guess is that Amanwana is your best choice. Phi Phi Islands is interesting. The OP would stay at 'Puri or Tisara and boat over to Phi Phi? That would certainly work from SIN.
Old Aug 2, 19, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lambi View Post
Bawah looks good, but I think it's overpriced for what you get. I love overwater villas, but they don't supply any privacy at Bawah + Maldives price point. I'll definitely do a multi resort, but the Aman cruise is a bit above my budget. I'm considering doing Singapore + Bali (the Legian or Mandapa perhaps, the Aman Bali resorts seem too quiet considering doing Amanwana after) + Amanwana. If it's not extremely special (such as my last Maldives trip) I don't enjoy spending more than $1200 a night.
If doing 5 nights at Bawah, the rates aren't *TOO* bad with 5th night free + round-trip transfers from Singapore included (as the rates are already all inclusive for the most part anyway).

I may have mentioned this before - but Bawah have improved on some points following my colleague's stay there. Yes the villas are still very rustic (the shower is just so infuriating...though they're adding a private pool/second bedroom to the Deluxe Beach Suite. The Jungle Suite is now a 2-bedroom ensuite...) but the key difference is some of the activities/excursions.
My colleague was taken on a beach picnic and it was shockingly barebones in terms of style/set up. This has definitely been improved. Yes, it's still rustic in style, but there's a proper set up in place now.

Aman cruise out of budget - but have a look at Aqua - I don't want to say it's 'affordable' but if just a couple, it definitely makes sense to go down that route to work with budget - it might just work out.
Old Aug 2, 19, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
You're starting from Singapore, so these suggestions are silly but:

- best house reef I have seen was at Hotel Bora Bora, right in front of the resort. This, sadly, is no longer an option. The other resorts on Bora Bora don't seem to compare.
- A close second was Lizard Island

My guess is that Amanwana is your best choice. Phi Phi Islands is interesting. The OP would stay at 'Puri or Tisara and boat over to Phi Phi? That would certainly work from SIN.
Some great diving in SEA is at Koh Lipe, which is only a short boat ride from Langkawi. I'm trying to figure out how it would be possible to do a yacht charter around the region of Langkawi - but defeats the purpose of house reef I guess; but if staying ~5-6 nights at Langkawi you could definitely do an additional 2 on a yacht to enjoy snorkeling/diving at Koh Lipe.

Search this Thread