Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Booking room blocks -- is that something a TA can help with?

Old Jul 29, 19, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Hi, all,

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm looking to book a small block of rooms for a night or two in Boston and was wondering whether we could do that through a TA while still getting Virtuoso, etc. benefits. I suspect I might be better off, price-wise, just going directly through the hotel's sales office, but it would be nice to offer guests some sort of amenity package. Thoughts on the best way to handle?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 29, 19, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It all depends on what you mean by room block and the property. Most properties in a major city will have set pricing for smallish blocks (<50 rooms for 2-3 nights) and that will all be based off how payment is made and what other services are sought, e.g. meeting rooms and catering.

A good TA who handles commercial meetings may be helpful, especially if you are pressed for time. TA's typically bill by the hour for this sort of service.
Old Jul 29, 19, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Yes, a TA can do room blocks. You typically need 10+ rooms per night to get a group rate. Also, if you are booking 10+ rooms per night most hotels will require a contract and will not allow you to reserve that number of rooms directly under any other rate. Virtuoso is a specific rate type, and since this would be a group rate the amenities would not apply. However, the terms of the contract can be negotiated.
Old Jul 29, 19, 3:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Actually, I've often booked blocks of rooms and anything is up for negotiation.

In my experience, you're often better off just making multiple reservations at the Virtuoso or other Preferred Partner rate. This comes with amenities ... and a fully flexible rate. I've sometimes gotten upgrades at booking for a certain number of rooms, sometimes an upgrade for the group leader into a Suite.

Negotiated room blocks may come with a (minor) discount which is offset by terms more advantageous to the hotel i.e., the group is required to guarantee a certain number of those rooms (like 80% or 90%) and the cancel deadline is much longer than that of the Virtuoso or BAR rate.

Such bookings are often more time consuming with the need to chase down rooming lists, adjust dates to the requirements of each individual, etc... which is why your TA may charge a management fee for a group booking.
obscure2k and offerendum like this.

Search this Thread