FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Four Seasons LA: ANTS in bed !! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1979703-four-seasons-la-ants-bed.html)

Rowyourboat Jul 23, 2019 12:07 am

Four Seasons LA: ANTS in bed !!

Hello,

I'm currently at the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills and I just got home and saw nearly a dozen ants crawling in my bed. I took photo and video, and have attached two photos below. I called the front desk, and they moved me to another standard room. I also had a few clothes on the bed and I asked them to wash them.

I'm just going to try to sleep tonight, but am very upset and will talk to a manager tomorrow. This is night one of a two night stay. What is appropriate to ask for here? I'm planning to ask for a full refund and being moved to a comparable hotel for the second night. I am frankly grossed out by this hotel and don't want to stay here any longer than I have to.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c7f522b3bf.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...db2973d4b6.jpg

offerendum Jul 23, 2019 2:48 am

An ant is not that dramatic in my eyes, you canīt completely avoid them. A bug would be a bigger problem.

ajeleonard Jul 23, 2019 4:25 am

What a hysterical overreaction

livefromtuscany Jul 23, 2019 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat (Post 31332240)
I'm planning to ask for a full refund and being moved to a comparable hotel for the second night. I am frankly grossed out by this hotel and don't want to stay here any longer than I have to.

Ants are unpleasant, but they're unavoidable, even by highest cleaning standards. They can enter anywhere, and they are very fast. The hotel moved you and apologized. I find this expectation for compensation not warranted.

DYKWIA Jul 23, 2019 6:38 am

The fact they are on the bed leads me to think that they've been brought in. Did you put your luggage or anything else on the bed, maybe when you took out your clothes?

Rowyourboat Jul 23, 2019 8:19 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 31332927)
The fact they are on the bed leads me to think that they've been brought in. Did you put your luggage or anything else on the bed, maybe when you took out your clothes?

No, I always leave my luggage on the ground.

It wasn't "one" ant, there were at least a dozen crawling on the pillow and under the comforter. You guys don't see that as a problem?

Duck1981 Jul 23, 2019 8:59 am

Whilst I also would be very uncomfortable in that situation as well, I assume that a number of users - me included - will think that posting something like this on the internet is a) a way to get compensation with the help of social media or b) that you are looking for assurance that you are right to make a big fuss and should get some bucks out of it.

Personally I would speak to the manager first and see if you can get a few free drinks out of it; then complain to FS customer relations. The rest can be done in case they complete ignore you (but that's obviously not the case).

obscure2k Jul 23, 2019 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat (Post 31333216)
No, I always leave my luggage on the ground.

It wasn't "one" ant, there were at least a dozen crawling on the pillow and under the comforter. You guys don't see that as a problem?

I see it as an inconvenience. My response would have been to call front desk and ask if the problem should be resolved by housekeeping or moving to a different room. Having spent a lot of time in tropical areas, house in Hawaii always had some kind of critters, including flying cockroaches, this would not be a big concern. The weather is hot now. Chances are, if you opt to dine outdoors, flies will be a problem.
Enjoy the rest of your stay in Southern California

LondonElite Jul 23, 2019 9:26 am

A few ants inside a building in a tropical climate. Not pleasant, but really no big deal.

offerendum Jul 23, 2019 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat (Post 31333216)
You guys don't see that as a problem?

Not really. There are thinks that canīt be avoided. Mosquitos and ants are some excamples. As many said ants are very small. I for excample have ants in my bathroom (they come out of the shower armature) and everything I tried so far didnīt work. Of course I donīt like it but if I canīt even avoid it in my own house I wouldnīt blame a hotel.

CanuckFlyHigh Jul 23, 2019 9:43 am

Sounds like they could have come off the clothes on your bed. Who is to know? But I find it hard to believe FS housekeeping missed that in their check.

fotographer Jul 23, 2019 9:55 am

I can understand the OP position, but being moved to another room should solve the problem, now if the OP finds ants again, then consider a fair deal
Bed bugs would have me move to another hotel, ants? not really bothered.
(spend quite a bit of time in hotels in India, never had a real problem)

Rowyourboat Jul 23, 2019 10:08 am

Ok thanks for the perspective. I guess I was just upset late at night.

I don't see how 12+ ants would come off my clothes though...far more likely they're from a wall or something. The Bell hop who came was also surprised and said they'd fumigate the whole room.

david55 Jul 23, 2019 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat (Post 31333678)
The Bell hop who came was also surprised.......

I can't imagine any other reaction even if he wasn't surprised.

obscure2k Jul 23, 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat (Post 31333678)
Ok thanks for the perspective. I guess I was just upset late at night.

I don't see how 12+ ants would come off my clothes though...far more likely they're from a wall or something. The Bell hop who came was also surprised and said they'd fumigate the whole room.

Glad to see that you understand the perspective from other members of the FT Community.
Having said that, I see no reason to keep the thread open.
All best wishes.....
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel