Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Esperanza, Cabo or Four Seasons Punta Mita

Old Jul 10, 19, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Which would you choose for a family trip in December with two small children, age 5 and under? We have never been to Cabo or Punta Mita. My gut tells me Punta Mita would be better for us, and that Four Seasons is the choice for families there, because of the kids club and range of activities, but the pics of Four Seasons look a bit tired for decor and underwhelming, Esperanza’s rooms, pools, etc. look more attractive, but it doesn’t seem as much of a kid place.

Our gold standard for Mexico is Rosewood Mayakoba where we just returned from a phenomenal second stay. Have looked at Caribbean options like a return to T&C, but the service and hard product hasn’t compared to Mexico in our experience.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 10, 19, 10:02 pm

I don’t have kids and I have never been to FS Punta Mita, but I have been to Esperanza, and while I absolutely love it, it does not seem ideal for children.
Old Jul 11, 19, 12:54 am
Original Member

Cardboard55 is correct. Esperanza Cabo is not suitable for kids. The ocean at their beach is not swimmable for adults or even children splashing in the surf, unsafe.

Difficult to respond to OP sans more info. Flying from whence? How long a flight? Connection ok? Suite required?

We repair often to Cabo but only because it is slightly less than a three-hour non-stop from SFO. It is chock-a-block with luxury resorts, and soon there will be even more with an FS, Ritz, Aman and Nobu soon to open. If Cabo is most convenient, then I recommend the new Auberge resort at Chileno Bay. It definitely is kid friendly AND has two calm, swimmable beaches perfect for small kids and others.

Unfamiliar with Punta Mita although many here enjoy the St. Regis and FS. Look for reviews from Erika who travels with a child, and from bhrubin who does not.

You might consider Las Alamandas, a 2.5-hour drive south of Puerto Vallarta; they will be happy to fetch you. No need for a car onsite, they will chauffeur you everywhere. It is unique, extraordinary, and they are positively gaga over kids. Some 1500 acres, five different beaches, river boating, horses, only 15 suites, rarely full. There is nothing off property but no reason to leave either.

Last edited by KatW; Jul 11, 19 at 1:11 am
Old Jul 11, 19, 5:45 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
We have been to both many many times with our children. In your case, I would say FS Punta Mita for sure. It is a wonderful resort and great for kids. Esperanza is fantastic as well, but is not as good as FS PM for younger kids. FS has a great kids club and lots of activities for the little ones along with much better beaches. I am not sure which room types you are considering but they have some rooms that are directly on the beach that are great for kids along with several types of villas that would be great for a family.
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:22 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Hyatt Privé, STARS, Rosewood Elite, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub, etc.
I agree with Valveking and FS Punta Mita would definitely be my
choice. It is a fantastic resort and very kid friendly. We absolutely
love it. Also agree with KatW that if Cabo is more convenient, I would
choose Chileno Bay over Esperanza with kids. Chileno is also very kid
friendly with great swimmable beach. You can't go wrong at
either property. Enjoy!
Old Jul 11, 19, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful responses--it confirmed what I suspected. The flights are not a factor as they're both roughly the same distance from us, unfortunately requiring a brief layover.

The likely room category in each would be a two bedroom suite. I looked at Chileno Bay, but it's a bit more than we want to spend for the dates in which we're interested. So, I think we'll probably go with Four Seasons Punta Mita!
Old Jul 17, 19, 1:00 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by benfolds5 View Post
Thanks for the helpful responses--it confirmed what I suspected. The flights are not a factor as they're both roughly the same distance from us, unfortunately requiring a brief layover.

The likely room category in each would be a two bedroom suite. I looked at Chileno Bay, but it's a bit more than we want to spend for the dates in which we're interested. So, I think we'll probably go with Four Seasons Punta Mita!
I'd also take a strong look at the St Regis Punta Mita. The F&B is vastly superior at the StR. There are more and larger pools and a huge 2 level adults-only pool at the StR even with less than half the room count of the FS, too. The StR villas and some of the suites are also nicer unless you like the plunge pool suites on the cliff at the FS. We've been to both and definitely prefer the StR.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I'd also take a strong look at the St Regis Punta Mita. The F&B is vastly superior at the StR. There are more and larger pools and a huge 2 level adults-only pool at the StR even with less than half the room count of the FS, too. The StR villas and some of the suites are also nicer unless you like the plunge pool suites on the cliff at the FS. We've been to both and definitely prefer the StR.
I believe FS and StR are under same ownership, if I am not mistaken. Based on your reviews and others on FT, StR does seem to be the better choice overall.
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread