Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Ski Home / more affordable resort?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton, National

This is kind of an odd request for the forum, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

I'm thinking about doing a ski trip with a group of friends - where I'd be footing the bill. I'd like to do a rental house rather than hotel, and want it to be a nice 4-5 bedroom house. Ideally on the slopes somewhere, but could do one a little off the slopes if I needed.

I've looked through luxuryretreats some for some options, but I'm wondering if there is a more affordable location, but still with great skiing and luxury. That is, I know that Vail, Deer Valley, Aspen, etc. are likely to be the highest. I'm wondering if anyone has found one of the other resorts that are still excellent skiing where a house rental might be a little less expensive? I am thinking out west in the US, but would be open to Europe if anyone has any thoughts. I'm not interested in east coast US.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:29 pm

There are so many variables to consider. Do you want nightlife? What level are the riders? Are you all skiers or any snowboarders (if snowboarders eliminate Deer Valley and Alta)? When do you plan to go (some places have higher odds of good snow early season, and others hold up better late season)? Do you have any of the resort passes (IKON, Mountain Collective, Epic)?

Just a few random thoughts from places I go:
  1. Aspen is far and away my favorite. If you want to budget a little find accommodation in Snowmass. But Aspen has great skiing for all levels, awesome town, good dining, and lots of non-ski activities. But it's at the high end of the price spectrum.
  2. Whistler is fun and one of the big name destinations. It offers a bit of everything and the favorable exchange rate makes it more affordable. I'd avoid Whistler during holiday weekends, however, as it gets crowded. It's a good early season bet though as they typically are in good shape mid-December where most US resorts are often not as fortunate.
  3. Big Sky is a good mountain. Lots of terrain. I've really enjoyed always with light crowds. You can get a nice cabin for your group. Authentic mountain town. But don't expect nightlife.
  4. Mammoth offers good skiing, a mediocre/artificial village, and affordable accommodation. Way to crowded on weekends for me tho. I grew up skiing here (and the sister mountain June) and it's okay. I just wouldn't suggest it to anybody as my pick of a destination unless they live in southern California and prefer to drive.
  5. If Salt Lake City is an easy airport for you and that matters, you may want to consider Alta/Snowbird/Solitude area (opposite side of Deer Valley/Park City). I really can't knock the skiing at these hills. They are great and you have a very high probability of good conditions in January and February. But there is no village. You drive in and out to ski. In my opinion, if you live there fine. But I think it kind of sucks for a ski trip. I want a walkable village and the ski hill at most minutes away. Yet I do still make my way over here for a few days of skiing every year or two …
There are countless others I can list. Tahoe has fun spots. Sun Valley is good. Colorado and Utah are covered with smaller, good resorts. I'd say figure out what you want. Narrow it down to a couple. And then ask about those and people who've been can give you the pros and cons of each.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:49 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I’m headed to the Four Seasons Whistler with my sisters next month to celebrate a milestone birthday. They have many multi bedroom suites and residences that are suitable for groups. Prices are very good considering the size of the accomodation.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:01 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Stein Lodge in Deer Valley also offers multi bedroom in a hotel/resort setting and pricing is very good. Comparing to the likes of Montage Deer Valley.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:15 am

You might also want to consider base elevation of the resort that you pick. Altitude sickness is no fun. Although a prescription is easily attainable before you go.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:36 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I recently attended a wedding in Breckenridge. It is a beautiful little town. The bride and groom have a home in Denver but a beautiful condo in Breckenridge. Perhaps, you should look in to that. It doesn't have the glitz of Aspen but according to the guests at the wedding has outstanding skiing, both downhill and cross country. About 2 hour drive from DIA. I used Eight Black Executive Transport (eightblackcars.com,)
This is a very luxurious way to transfer from DIA to Breckenridge.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:14 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by LinLant
You might also want to consider base elevation of the resort that you pick. Altitude sickness is no fun. Although a prescription is easily attainable before you go.
Whistler is a good option if altitude sickness is a concern.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
What time of year do you want to go? That would heavily influence things. Also, where do you live? Travel time should be considered.
PapaNico likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for many of the suggestions and thoughts.
To answer a few questions:
1. We're looking at the full week of New Year's. So most of the higher end hotels have astronomical increases that week. Also, we'd like to be in one house.
2. We're east and west coast, to flying out west is fine - Canada is also an easy option.
3. Altitude is not a huge consideration, most of the group is pretty fit and adjust easily.
4. Boarders and Skiiers (unfortunately).
5. We want a very nice house, and we'd compromise location (not being slope side but within an easy quick drive) for a nicer home.
6. Nightlife isn't a huge deal - a standard bar or two would be fine but don't need much more than that.

Thanks again for the thoughts. I did some more checking on luxury retreats at the typical resorts (Aspen, Breck, Whistler, Vail, Telluride) but wondered if there was a less expensive option that might be good quality skiing and a good time for us to be together after the skiing.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:58 pm

The Park City area is my favorite. You can find a wide range of housing options, very solid town, and of course lots of mountains to choose from. Stein Eriksen Lodge (mentioned above) is great, but far from the only option.

How about picking a town/resort or two that you like and then searching on VRBO and/or Airbnb for houses that fit your criteria?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
I would suggest park city as well. One other option to look at is Telluride. The housing prices for a 4 bedroom may not be crazy but the larger homes are going be very expensive
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
All the suggestions here are good, but if you're looking for lower cost and good skiing and aren't too interested in night life, I would suggest you look at places like Crested Butte or Grand Targhee.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
YYC?

How about Calgary? Not as pricey as Whistler, and excellent skiing options.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by paterwdb
This is kind of an odd request for the forum, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

I'm thinking about doing a ski trip with a group of friends - where I'd be footing the bill. I'd like to do a rental house rather than hotel, and want it to be a nice 4-5 bedroom house. Ideally on the slopes somewhere, but could do one a little off the slopes if I needed.

I've looked through luxuryretreats some for some options, but I'm wondering if there is a more affordable location, but still with great skiing and luxury. That is, I know that Vail, Deer Valley, Aspen, etc. are likely to be the highest. I'm wondering if anyone has found one of the other resorts that are still excellent skiing where a house rental might be a little less expensive? I am thinking out west in the US, but would be open to Europe if anyone has any thoughts. I'm not interested in east coast US.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts!
The cheapest good option for skiing that I love is Åre in Sweden. Except during the times when Swedish schools are closed, decent housing is cheap albeit nowhere near as luxurious as where I stay in Aspen. Since winter flights to Stockholm are cheap from many major US cities, airfare costs can be lower than they cost me to go from DC/NYC/MSP to ASE/EGE/HDN or sometimes even to DEN or SLC. From Stockholm it would involve a night train in one or both directions. Lift tickets and ski rentals for a week are much cheaper there than even at places in Upper Peninsula Michigan in the most icy times of the year. And the novelty of going abroad and taking a night train can be rather memorable even as it is not luxurious.

For something easier, I would suggest Park City. For effectively $650/night+tax last time I had a four bedroom condo looking out to the ice rink and slopes and a two minute walk to the slopes.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

For something easier, I would suggest Park City. For effectively $650/night+tax last time I had a four bedroom condo looking out to the ice rink and slopes and a two minute walk to the slopes.
This seems outrageously inexpensive. I haven't looked at condos, but I certainly haven't seen rates that low. I'll take a look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.