FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   One&Only Cape Town vs. Belmond Mount Nelson? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1976325-one-only-cape-town-vs-belmond-mount-nelson.html)

nmrivera Jul 1, 2019 9:52 am

One&Only Cape Town vs. Belmond Mount Nelson?

Hi there,
My fiance and I are finalizing details for our honeymoon trip to South Africa and we wanted to see the opinions on these two hotels - One&Only vs. Belmond Mount Nelson. We understand both beautiful luxury hotels, but does one stand out versus the other in terms of:
- Rooms / suites
- Views
- Location - being in a nice part of town, close to great restaurants, etc.
- Amenities/ pools, spa etc.
- Service
- Restaurants/food

Any help would be great! At this stage we thought about Ellerman House but it's totally booked / a bit too expensive for what we were getting, so appreciate your thoughts on the two hotels above. Thank you!

GetSetJetSet Jul 1, 2019 6:20 pm

Have no stayed at the Mount Nelson. The One&Only is "nice," but in my opinion is in no way a great hotel. The rooms are comfortable and spacious but not special. The breakfast is quite good. I didn't use the spa, so I can't comment, nice bar. Great location. It's a good hotel that's priced as a great hotel. I can't say I have fond memories of it and am in a rush to go back, in fact, I have NOT been back on several subsequent stops in CPT (O&O has been offensively priced $1,500+/room on all those stays).

wripro Jul 2, 2019 10:44 am

One and Only has absolutely no sense if place. it could be anywhere. It's large and impersonal. The rooms are nice enough but you better remember what city you're in because the room won't give you a clue.

Mount Nelson is the old dowager in CT. lovely grounds. Sense of place and history. Great afternoon tea. Don't love the location.

I still prefer the Cape Grace.

SilverSpoon Jul 2, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by wripro (Post 31262167)
One and Only has absolutely no sense if place. it could be anywhere. It's large and impersonal. The rooms are nice enough but you better remember what city you're in because the room won't give you a clue.

Mount Nelson is the old dowager in CT. lovely grounds. Sense of place and history. Great afternoon tea. Don't love the location.

I totally agree with this, we stayed at the One and Only and it was a mistake, just visited the Mount Nelson but it had more character and history.

Ellerman House was my favourite.

Nicoolio Jul 2, 2019 3:38 pm

We liked the Mount Nelson - haven't stayed at O&O.

With Mount Nelson there are four or so buildings, each a bit different and all historic - also some bungalows. Our second floor room was a walk up the stairs - no elevator - not a problem, but just to know spend time choosing your room type. We had a nice view of Table Mountain. I understand its regular clientele that has been coming at that's been coming at the same time for decades reserve the same specific rooms each year. It's on beautiful grounds but we had to taxi everywhere and I'm not sure of the area around the hotel - it seems residential on onside and a rundown business area on the other.

Service at Mount Nelson was very good, and it felt like stepping back in time. There are some models of old ships as it was at one time owned by a line that sailed from the UK to Australia.

GetSetJetSet Jul 3, 2019 9:40 am

Originally Posted by wripro (Post 31262167)

100% this

Zephyrous Jul 3, 2019 11:05 am

Ok sold on Cape Grace now here also :D! Any preference as to room category/specific rooms that are recommended?

sweetsleep Jul 5, 2019 9:13 pm

The "Nellie" is wonderful for a honeymoon! Rooms are very spacious, fabulous views of Table Mountain. It is quiet, but close to a lot of things. Taxis are cheap to go out to restaurants as the Rand is not doing well compared to a lot of other currencies.
Breakfast was fantastic-even had oysters and champagne every day! They have an amazing reputation for afternoon tea-probably the best in Cape Town.
I have been to Cape Town twice-first time at the Mount Nelson, second time at Table Bay. Both are lovely but very different. For a honeymoon I would pick the Nellie.
Congratulations on your marriage and for choosing one of the most beautiful places in the world for a honeymoon.

wripro Jul 6, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Zephyrous (Post 31265897)
Ok sold on Cape Grace now here also :D! Any preference as to room category/specific rooms that are recommended?

At least a superior room with Table Mountain view. Don't be fooled by the term luxury room. In SA superior room is superior to a luxury room.

bhrubin Jul 9, 2019 7:58 pm

The Cape Grace is probably the top hotel overall on the V&A waterfront. The O&O has no personality and feels quite sterile, it could be anywhere--not our cup of tea, but it's fine if you like modern and the location. The Mt Nelson is the grand old dame of them all, very traditional, very European charm in its elegance, but its location isn't as convenient. The Silo is the brash (and unworthy) newcomer, charging Ellerman prices for a subpar product that wows only for the view.

Our favorite remains the suite at the Dock House Boutique Hotel.

janwillem Jul 10, 2019 11:58 am

About the Mt Nelson location: I like the area. Kloof street is attractive, Company's garden close and great for a run up to Signal Hill. Obviously if you want to be at Waterfront then choose a hotel there. I like Waterfront as much as the next guy but would not stay in such an (over)developed area. Prefer a bit more 'real' feel myself, whatever that means.

dodgeflyer Jul 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Having stayed at both, mount nelson (couple times) all the way. Get a garden villa - almost direct access to the adults only pool. O&O huge, impersonal and personally we always avoid the waterfront area. Touristy, dirty and not very nice. If you want generic, go there.

If you stay there, eat at Nelson’s eye, bit of a dive but very good local meats and charming service. Gets keys to access through the side gates.

MarkP24 Aug 4, 2019 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by sweetsleep (Post 31273999)
The "Nellie" is wonderful for a honeymoon! Rooms are very spacious, fabulous views of Table Mountain. It is quiet, but close to a lot of things. Taxis are cheap to go out to restaurants as the Rand is not doing well compared to a lot of other currencies.
Breakfast was fantastic-even had oysters and champagne every day! They have an amazing reputation for afternoon tea-probably the best in Cape Town.
I have been to Cape Town twice-first time at the Mount Nelson, second time at Table Bay. Both are lovely but very different. For a honeymoon I would pick the Nellie.
Congratulations on your marriage and for choosing one of the most beautiful places in the world for a honeymoon.

Do all of the rooms at Mt. Nelson have a view of Table Mountain?