Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo and Kyoto Hyatt and Mariott Luxury Properties Plan

Tokyo and Kyoto Hyatt and Mariott Luxury Properties Plan

Old Jun 29, 19, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Tokyo and Kyoto Trip, Hyatt and Mariott Luxury Properties using Points

I have nine or ten days in Japan; currently planning possibly five days Tokyo, and four days Kyoto. I have been to Japan several times; I am planning on using Hyatt points and Marriott Points for this trip. I am trying to figure out the best way to use the points in each city.

In Tokyo, I have stayed at The Park Hyatt, and though i like the hotel (though i understand it may feel a bit dated at this point), I don't like the location. I have stayed at the Andaz, and have mixed feelings about it; really like the rooms, but not crazy about the vibe - almost too casual (which I normally like), and I find service not great compared to other Tokyo luxury properties.

In Kyoto, I usually stay at a fantastic little hotel in Gion, but I have stayed at The Ritz Carlton, and I really liked it. But I thought it might be cool to try the new Park Hyatt using points.

So....I booked five nights at the Ritz Carlton Tokyo using points (rate is 90,000 JPY), and four nights at the new Park Hyatt in Kyoto using points (rate is about 80,000 JPY). I have never stayed at The Ritz Carlton Tokyo, but I like the location.

Does this sound like a good plan, and a good use of points, or is there a better combination?
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Last edited by fish1fish; Jun 29, 19 at 5:19 pm
Old Jun 29, 19, 5:24 pm

Good plan
Old Jul 1, 19, 7:17 am

Don't see how you can go wrong with both the RC in Tokyo and Kyoto. For Tokyo, may want to look into getting a room on the Club Floor
Old Jul 1, 19, 6:21 pm

Programs: Many
Don't sleep on the Grand Hyatt in Tokyo. I actually prefer it to the Park Hyatt. Nice rooms and a much better (IMO) location. I haven't stayed at the RC Tokyo yet, going to RC Kyoto in Jan., will be returning to Tokyo but will stay at The Peninsula.
Old Jul 2, 19, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some here like the newer LC Prince Gallery in Tokyo. Recently they stopped giving club lounge access to elites, but without status this wouldn't matter (or you could pay for lounge access or reserve a room category that includes the lounge).
Old Jul 2, 19, 2:41 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Sounds like a good plan.

I concur that the Prince Gallery Tokyo is an excellent option, regardless of lounge access--to me it is the second best hard product in Tokyo, following only the incredible Aman Tokyo. We found the service at the PG to be as good as anywhere else in Tokyo. PG concierge was amazing and got us into plenty of 2* and 3* restaurants, including 3* Yoshitake...and 2* Sawada with only a week's notice. I can't compare it personally with the RC Tokyo, but the PG is supposed to be much newer and a more impressive hard product.

In Kyoto, we loved the RC Kyoto...but we loved the Suiran Luxury Collection even more. Opposite sides of town, so that can be a factor--but we preferred the Suiran Arashiyama side and its more traditional neighborhood and suburban/rural feel--with the real river and mountains/forest just a stone's throw away. A perfect hybrid of Japanese ryokan and Western hotel, giving you most of the trappings of a modern Western luxury hotel while also the authenticity and sublime ethos of the traditional Japanese boutique ryokan experience. Only 39 rooms--it's quite intimate. I can't recommend Suiran enough. It's the one property in Japan to which we most yearn to return.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 6, 19 at 8:43 am
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Don't sleep on the Grand Hyatt in Tokyo. I actually prefer it to the Park Hyatt. Nice rooms and a much better (IMO) location. I haven't stayed at the RC Tokyo yet, going to RC Kyoto in Jan., will be returning to Tokyo but will stay at The Peninsula.
Comparing the club floor at the GH and the RC, I would give the slight edge to the RC as the lounge is nicer, the rooms have better views and the location has better access to subways. Don't get me wrong, I would gladly stay at the GH again and they service was very good. But I think the RC still has a slight edge
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:41 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Sounds like a good plan.

I concur that the Prince Gallery Tokyo is an excellent option, regardless of lounge access--to me it is the second best hard product in Tokyo, following only the incredible Aman Tokyo. We found the service at the PG to be as good as anywhere else in Tokyo. PG concierge was amazing and got us into plenty of 2* and 3* restaurants, including 3* Yoshitake...and 2* Sawada with only a week's notice. I can't compare it personally with the RC Tokyo, but the PG is supposed to be much newer and a more impressive hard product.

In Kyoto, we loved the RC Kyoto...but we loved the Suiran Luxury Collection even more. Opposite sides of town, so that can be a factor--but we preferred the Suiran Arashiyama side and its more traditional neighborhood and suburban/rural feel--with the real rive and mountains/forest just a stone's throw away. A perfect hybrid of Japanese ryokan and Western hotel, giving you most the trappings of a moderj Western luxury hotel while also the authenticity and sublime ethos of the traditional Japanese boutique ryokan experience. Only 39 rooms--it's quite intimate. I can't recommend Suiran enough. It's the one property in Japan to which we most yearn to return.
We're doing 2 nights at Suiran and then 2 nights in Gion in two weeks, which I feel like is a good spread to cover the ground in Kyoto.
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread