FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   St Louis Four Seasons Vs Ritz? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1975972-st-louis-four-seasons-vs-ritz.html)

Greg Malyshev Jun 28, 2019 7:39 am

St Louis Four Seasons Vs Ritz?

Me and the girlfriend trying to go see the arch, driving from louisville, I have the ritz card as well. I saw the ritz was out of town but was curious if the lounge was worth it over the four seasons which is right downtown? It looks like the seasons is 389 vs the ritz at 289 with free lounge cert. Anyone got any suggestions? I also have plat elite with Marriott but I know that service has been spotty. I've also never stayed at a four seasons just bc of the high price but at 389 its doable. Can anyone weigh in on these hotels and they're experiences?

kmora Jun 28, 2019 7:54 am

I tend to favor the Four Seasons over the Ritz in general, but that's a personal preference. I have not been to the Ritz in St Louis, however, but the Four Seasons downtown offers amazing views of the arch, etc., and the restaurant is really good. Now, if you've stayed at the Ritz before and the Four Seasons is this time doable, why not try it? :)

bhrubin Jun 28, 2019 1:45 pm

They're probably overall quite comparable as luxury hotels. For your purposes, the FS has the benefit of the downtown location and view of the Arch if that's worth the extra $100 for you. The RC has its brand standard Club lounge, which may or may not be important to you along with the better rate.

It's all a matter of your priorities.

It's St. Louis. Temper your expectations. There is a reason both hotels are less expensive than you normally expect.

Fraser Jun 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Four Seasons.

I used to work in St Louis and the R-C was one of our preferred hotels until the FS opened up. Our policy allowed you to choose wherever you picked within the cap, and everyone moved over to the FS. I only ever visited the R-C for a reason, it seemed to be the MR whores who chose it.

bhrubin Jun 28, 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 31249871)
I only ever visited the R-C for a reason, it seemed to be the MR whores who chose it.

We do breed like rabbits, I hear. :D

Greg Malyshev Jun 28, 2019 2:02 pm

yea me and the gf are in grad school so my budget isn't high, hence me not being able to afford FS anywhere else really. But my travel agent told me she can get me some perks at the FS so ill go with that. Thanks y'all

Nicoolio Jun 28, 2019 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Greg Malyshev (Post 31249911)
yea me and the gf are in grad school so my budget isn't high, hence me not being able to afford FS anywhere else really. But my travel agent told me she can get me some perks at the FS so ill go with that. Thanks y'all

RC is better if you want to be in the Forest Park, Central West End, Wash U area; FS is right downtown if you want to go to a baseball game, down to the bars on the river, the Arch, etc. it is walking distance. From RC I think you would need to drive pretty much anywhere you want to go.

benjymessner Jun 28, 2019 8:00 pm

This. I lived there for a few months and have stayed at both. The rc is closer to those things but it’s still a drive and the fs is a better hotel, especially if you get an arch view room - worth a small additional fee. Go to bailey’s range for an excellent post-arch burger!

edit: to be crystal clear - the RC, while a very nice city RC, is in an office park. Just not worth it unless you have business in Clayton, imo.

Originally Posted by Nicoolio (Post 31250531)
RC is better if you want to be in the Forest Park, Central West End, Wash U area; FS is right downtown if you want to go to a baseball game, down to the bars on the river, the Arch, etc. it is walking distance. From RC I think you would need to drive pretty much anywhere you want to go.

Quinlanty Jun 28, 2019 8:49 pm

Booked a trip to visit Wash U, but staying at 4S over Ritz. In case you weren't aware, the 4S is having a third night free promo until the end of summer. So pay 2 nights get one free. Combinable with all the regular Virtuoso/etc benefits.

MSPeconomist Jun 29, 2019 10:55 am

The RC in Clayton (next to the WUSL main campus, but not so close to West End, which is where their med school is located) is one of the worst RCs in the system. I remember having arguments about my room not yet being serviced at 4-5 pm and similar service failures. They also tried to stick me with their own overpriced car service when I had clearly requested a regular taxi to go to the airport. Avoid if possible, although I wasn't impressed by another chain hotel there (Sheraton?) either, nor the HR downtown. IIRC there's a very nice boutique hotel on the other side of Clayton with a renowned restaurant if you want a nice place to stay in this area. [There's also a nice executive education and conference center on campus, but I don't think it's open to the general public.]

bhrubin Jun 29, 2019 10:56 am

Looks like I’ll be choosing the RC over the 4S next year. Since I’ll be visiting Wash U and since I couldn’t care less about seeing the arch.

kajonesbu Jun 30, 2019 5:18 pm

I've stayed at both properties. Four Seasons hands-down should be the choice due to better room, food, bar, etc.

Greg Malyshev Jul 1, 2019 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Quinlanty (Post 31250734)
Booked a trip to visit Wash U, but staying at 4S over Ritz. In case you weren't aware, the 4S is having a third night free promo until the end of summer. So pay 2 nights get one free. Combinable with all the regular Virtuoso/etc benefits.

Nice! this actually works for our dates, were gonna try to go over the 4th now. Hopefully my travel agent can apply benefits on top of 3rd night, the hotel isn't under virtuoso for some reason.

Greg Malyshev Jul 1, 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Quinlanty (Post 31250734)

my travel agent can't get me benefits and 3rd night free
is there a better travel agent out there who can?

Zephyrous Jul 1, 2019 9:00 am

RC STL is the most memorable place in terms of snooty check in/front desk; it was comical (apparently there was a doctors convention of short and I didn't look like a doctor - which is true since I am not). The hotel is probably one of the worst RC's I've ever stayed in also.

In terms of best location, I loved the neighborhood (as well as the history and the views) of the Chase Park Plaza but last time I was there it needed a serious refurbishment.