AirBnB launches AirBnB Luxe

Old Jun 26, 19, 6:03 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

AirBnB launches AirBnB Luxe

The official press release is here, Bloomberg article here.

Airbnb Luxe went live Tuesday morning after long being teased, with 2,000 new listings on Airbnb’s website offering guests the chance to stay in some of the world’s most extravagant homes. Everything from entire islands to medieval castles and mansions decked out with water slides, dinosaur skulls, and archery ranges are up for rent.

The average luxury listing has an asking price of $14,000 a week—but can go as high as $1 million a week for a private atoll near Tahiti that comprises 21 bungalows and a staff of 50.
The biggest difference booking under Luxe vs. Airbnb’s regular or higher-tier Plus listings is free access to a trip designer, who arranges check-in logistics, local bespoke experiences, and services from childcare to private chefs or in-house massage therapists. (While novel for Airbnb, this sort of high-touch service, similar to that provided by Onefinestay’s dedicated concierges, is standard in super-high-end home rentals.)

Airbnb’s 20 trip designers will be available to guests around-the-clock for VIP support. Some have already handled bizarre requests during Luxe’s pilot phase, such as building a temporary basketball court in Los Cabos, Mexico, for an NBA player or cordoning off a section of a jungle in Tulum for a high-profile family to cave dive in private.

Homeowners or their representatives must apply to be part of Luxe. Each property is reviewed by an internal team that runs through a 300-point check list scrutinizing everything from the home’s design qualities and architecture to the quality of its linen and the water pressure in its showers. Listings include the Fleming Villa in Jamaica where Ian Fleming penned his James Bond novels and a medieval castle in the Tuscan countryside with nearly 100 acres of land for hiking and harvesting local produce.
I've only briefly perused, but I welcome another option to search for home rentals (even if many of them, especially those affiliated with lux hotels like the Fleming Villa at GoldenEye, are likely better booked via a TA).
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 26, 19, 1:22 pm

The Oetker collection manages private estates that are extremely interesting. I wonder if those properties will also list through other channels, or if Oetker has exclusivity?
Old Jun 26, 19, 2:10 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
The Oetker collection manages private estates that are extremely interesting. I wonder if those properties will also list through other channels, or if Oetker has exclusivity?
Hi Mike, do you have a link to the Oetker estates program?
Old Jun 26, 19, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by KatW View Post
Hi Mike, do you have a link to the Oetker estates program?
Sure, here it is https://www.oetkercollection.com/est...piece-estates/

Glen Affric, in Scotland, is the one I most want to try, if I am ever so lucky. Of course there is also Lismore Castle.

Goodwood reminds me of a character in a favorite novel, The Portrait of a Lady.

Kat, I have a feeling that as a fellow lover of le Bristol/Oetker Collection, you may really like these

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 26, 19 at 3:04 pm
Old Jun 26, 19, 4:37 pm
Original Member

MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 28, 19, 5:30 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Some of these look great.

What I'm confused with is how does this tie in with Luxury Retreats (which is basically the same thing? Most, but not all, offerings seem to be the same too).

The issue with these is always quality control. I've stayed at a few of the villas in Phuket/Samui/Bali and the bag is so mixed...it relies so heavily on having a really, really, really good villa estate manager (which isn't always the case).
Old Jun 28, 19, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
Some of these look great.

What I'm confused with is how does this tie in with Luxury Retreats (which is basically the same thing? Most, but not all, offerings seem to be the same too).
Airbnb acquired Luxury Retreats for $200m in 2017 (link), so much of this is a repurposing of that portfolio.
Old Jun 28, 19, 8:43 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by LM225 View Post
Airbnb acquired Luxury Retreats for $200m in 2017 (link), so much of this is a repurposin
Yes, sorry, that's what I was referring to (i.e. that they already own Luxury Retreats - so why create a second AirBNB Luxe? Will Luxury Retreats become AirBNB Luxe? Or will they keep two separate brands?)

Last edited by chinmoylad; Jun 28, 19 at 9:01 am
Old Jun 28, 19, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Yes, sorry, that's what I was referring to (i.e. that they already own Luxury Retreats - so why create a second AirBNB Luxe? Will Luxury Retreats become AirBNB Luxe? Or will they keep two separate brands?)
Ah gotcha. I don't have inside info, but I doubt that they'll keep LR as a standalone brand for too much longer now that Luxe has launched.

Airbnb has historically folded acquired companies (they've now acquired more than 20!) into the Airbnb brand rather than run them as a portfolio. I suspect we'll see the same with LR and HotelTonight.
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread