Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Is Four Seasons the best choice in Chiang Mai?

Is Four Seasons the best choice in Chiang Mai?

Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:45 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by EdenPlaceTravel
Weirdly, the Dhara Dhevi's website doesn't appear to be working. Maybe it's just down for routine maintenance?
Try this one instead: http://dharadhevi.co.th/
Old Feb 12, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
From my experience in 2022, it seems like the best option. I too was afraid of choosing FS because of the distance, but it's honestly not that bad at all, and closer to some temples that are outside the city area. FYI We initially chose Anantara only to find out it is scary awful. We thought given the Kerry Hill design we could look passed things and enjoy the hotel. Nope. The hard product, the GM, the F&B were all horrible unlike anything I've experienced, makes Motel 6 look a five star. The building is falling apart, hallways are filthy, the guests are scary, and there are flies everywhere in the bedroom. Upon entry there was a Russian tourist walking around the lobby in a speedo, being arrested for indecent exposure (this is the clientele). Although the location is central and really great for those who want to tour Chiang Mai, unless you can survive those pitiful conditions I'd recommend just sticking to what is tried and true, and going with FS Chiang Mai. It is much better for a luxury traveler.

Needless to say, I canceled my reservation with Anantara checked out after being there for for 30 minutes and checked into FS Chiang Mai - hotel was fully booked and we could only secure a Garden room, but honestly it was good enough.. Check out our POV video:

Last edited by luxefarer; Feb 16, 2022 at 7:29 pm
Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:35 am

Wonderful video, thanks for sharing -- classic Bensley!
luxefarer likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I believe the Dhara Devi is now permanently shut and all staff were dismissed a year ago
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:50 am

The Dhara Dhevi is bankrupt and the Anatara is run down. The only reasonable place to stay in Chiang Mai is the Four Seasons, but do manage your expectation.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by RA-wannabe
The Dhara Dhevi is bankrupt and the Anatara is run down. The only reasonable place to stay in Chiang Mai is the Four Seasons, but do manage your expectation.
Yes , unless the sale is successful . Our friend says her friend is “ bankrupt “ and is selling the property .
Looking forward to returning to FS
scented and luxefarer like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
One item to note about the FS is that they are only operating one restaurant for lunch / dinner with the same menu. Not an issue if you plan on eating out often or are only there for a few days, but it could be boring if you are there for a while especially since it is a fairly concise menu (though the food is good quality). We were there during New Years and with only one restaurant it was sometimes hard to find a table for dinner even. Beyond the rooms / villas there are also the residences so demand for the restaurants can be quite high. There is an italian restaurant walking distance from the hotel which has a nice setting but completely mediocre food.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by luxefarer
From my experience in 2022, it seems like the best option. I too was afraid of choosing FS because of the distance, but it's honestly not that bad at all, and closer to some temples that are outside the city area. FYI We initially chose Anantara only to find out it is scary awful. We thought given the Kerry Hill design we could look passed things and enjoy the hotel. Nope. The hard product, the GM, the F&B were all horrible unlike anything I've experienced, makes Motel 6 look a five star. The building is falling apart, hallways are filthy, the guests are scary, and there are flies everywhere in the bedroom. Upon entry there was a Russian tourist walking around the lobby in a speedo, being arrested for indecent exposure (this is the clientele). Although the location is central and really great for those who want to tour Chiang Mai, unless you can survive those pitiful conditions I'd recommend just sticking to what is tried and true, and going with FS Chiang Mai. It is much better for a luxury traveler.

Needless to say, I canceled my reservation with Anantara checked out after being there for for 30 minutes and checked into FS Chiang Mai - hotel was fully booked and we could only secure a Garden room, but honestly it was good enough.. Check out our POV video:
Thanks for sharing, that's really disappointing to hear. The Anantara was quite lovely when we stayed for our honeymoon back in August of 2019, it sounds like things have really gone downhill if you want to be within walking distance to the city center.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Thanks for sharing, that's really disappointing to hear. The Anantara was quite lovely when we stayed for our honeymoon back in August of 2019, it sounds like things have really gone downhill if you want to be within walking distance to the city center.
That's a bummer. We are trying to sort out a hotel in Chiang Mai for our honeymoon and were leaning towards 137 Pillars or Anantara. I really am not interested in Four Seasons because our focus is on spending time in the city. Now I don't know what to do!
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by brooklynboy
We are trying to sort out a hotel in Chiang Mai for our honeymoon and were leaning towards 137 Pillars or Anantara. I really am not interested in Four Seasons because our focus is on spending time in the city. Now I don't know what to do!
I'm going to tag someone whom I think has personal experience and might be able to be helpful. restlessinRNO can you offer an opinion about these hotels?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We had a great stay at the Chedi (now under new management as discussed here) in 2013. Grounds are beautiful and the location is easy to get around.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:53 am

Both properties look solid on paper, although it is unfortunate to hear some of the negative feedback.

Anantara is obviously bigger, perhaps less intimate and not all suite (but with better views and pool?). We'd book a Riverview suite, and the hotel has a much more modern style. 137 Pillars is smaller, colonial-style and has a different feel. Both locations seem fine for exploring the city. Seems like being on the other side of the river where 137 Pillar is is a bit less convenient (although the neighborhood itself seems nice).

To be honest, I care the least about the room and hotel in Chiang Mai but obviously still want to stay at the property that will feel more special. On paper 137 Pillars feels like a higher-tier hotel (as it's all suites and more intimate) but I am not sure that's actually true. Anantara's style is a bit more in line with my taste, but I'm worried it will feel much more corporate - and the recent feedback on here is concerning.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:33 pm

For what it's worth, we had to make the same choice last week as we were booking our Thailand vacation. In Chiang Mai we were choosing between Anantara, 137 Pillar and the Four Seasons. In the end (and after reading lots of reviews) we choose for the FS. Mainly because of the nicer rooms (they have a residence with pool) and the nicer atmosphere when you look at the different video's. In the end we think this will be worth the extra taxi drive of 25 minutes for us. If we would have stayed in the city we would have opted for 137 Pillars as it seems to have nicer rooms and is a smaller scale hotel and gets quite good reviews for personal service. Fyi in Bangkok and Phuket we will be staying in or close to the city centre (The Siam and Amanpuri)
luxefarer and FlyerEC like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:42 pm

Thanks for this - I do find it helpful to compare decision-making. We'll also be staying at the Siam and either Amanpuri or Trisara (I would absolutely love to stay at Aman, but the price range for a pavilion with a view and or/pool is just a bit more than I can stomach, and no one seems to recommend the entry-level pavillions).
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by brooklynboy
Thanks for this - I do find it helpful to compare decision-making. We'll also be staying at the Siam and either Amanpuri or Trisara (I would absolutely love to stay at Aman, but the price range for a pavilion with a view and or/pool is just a bit more than I can stomach, and no one seems to recommend the entry-level pavillions).
Please be careful with Trisara until further notice, as I heard too many negative experience in recent times.

I usually adore this resort and its many unique details - chemical-free laundry for example, but I think the owner’s son is standing in as GM right now..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.