Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Chicago: Four Seasons vs. Waldorf Astoria?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

I will be heading to Chicago next week for 4 nights (Sunday - Thursday) for work and was hoping to get a recommendation on which of these 2 hotels to book. I will be placing the reservation through AMEX's fine hotels & resorts program & the Waldorf has a free 3rd night option, which brings the daily rate down to about $585 (vs. $770+ otherwise and compared to around $650/night for the Four Seasons).

I have stayed at both hotels back in 2013 in a previous job, but I realize a lot could've changed since then.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:46 pm

The Four Seasons Chicago is the only FS to which I would never return. The room was unclean and the service was nonexistent. So my vote would be for the Waldorf. However; in either case it might be worth checking the Virtuoso options for free nights and/or upgrades.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Neither. Peninsula or Langham is board consensus. My last stay at the Pen was wonderful. Some friends stayed at the FS and I joined them there for drinks and was not impressed.
United747 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: CX DM
Agree Pen is vastly superior to FS in Chicago
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Agree on the Pen
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:13 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Yes, we all love the Peninsula. Is there a reason you’re not considering it?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Langham Voyager
Neither. I've had bad experiences at both the FS and the Waldorf. Also had a negative experience at the Pen, though from what I've heard that was a one-off. Still, at $800/night in Chicago you don't get much leeway. The Langham, on the other hand, has never disappointed in my many stays there.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Waldorf can get you a pretty big room for a pretty reasonable rate. I've enjoyed my time there. Great location.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
I will be heading to Chicago next week for 4 nights (Sunday - Thursday) for work and was hoping to get a recommendation on which of these 2 hotels to book. I will be placing the reservation through AMEX's fine hotels & resorts program & the Waldorf has a free 3rd night option, which brings the daily rate down to about $585 (vs. $770+ otherwise and compared to around $650/night for the Four Seasons).

I have stayed at both hotels back in 2013 in a previous job, but I realize a lot could've changed since then.
Which hotel did you choose? I just stayed at the Peninsula Chicago for the first time over the new year. Was looking at the FS for an upcoming staycation (never been but offering good rates), but Waldorf Astoria is hands down my favorite property in Chicago.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
WA Chicago just reminds me of how much better it was back when it was Elysian. Not a fan since it was taken over.

The Pen is always solid.

Langham is consistent... And that's tough in the hotel biz.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
WA Chicago just reminds me of how much better it was back when it was Elysian. Not a fan since it was taken over.

The Pen is always solid.

Langham is consistent... And that's tough in the hotel biz.
We stayed at the Langham last April and really enjoyed it. Staying there again in just over a week.

Had a corner suite last visit:

Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:53 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Was looking at the FS for an upcoming staycation (never been but offering good rates), but Waldorf Astoria is hands down my favorite property in Chicago.
As an update reminder, the FS is now closed completely until early February complete the final stages of their renovation plan.
All work is due to be over by June 2020
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Is the Peninsula sill the best option in Chicago?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Had a stay at the WA with generous Centurion benefits a few weeks ago. Some remarks:

- Not the cosiest of hotels. Feels a bit clinical.
- Upgraded at booking, again before check-in and again at check-in. From cheapest DeLuxe to Junior Suite to DeLuxe one bedroom suite.
- Suite, although comfortable, was not very stylish. Great bathroom though.
- Room was not ready at check-in (after 3 pm) which I always find annoying when it happens
- Margeaux restaurant is excellent. Had a breakfast, a lunch and a dinner there (and a drink at the bar). Delicious food and good service.
- Good gym but can get busy, did not try the pool.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:21 pm

Had a client who I booked at the Waldorf and they loved it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.