FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Chicago: Four Seasons vs. Waldorf Astoria? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1974294-chicago-four-seasons-vs-waldorf-astoria.html)

idkmybffjill Jun 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Chicago: Four Seasons vs. Waldorf Astoria?

I will be heading to Chicago next week for 4 nights (Sunday - Thursday) for work and was hoping to get a recommendation on which of these 2 hotels to book. I will be placing the reservation through AMEX's fine hotels & resorts program & the Waldorf has a free 3rd night option, which brings the daily rate down to about $585 (vs. $770+ otherwise and compared to around $650/night for the Four Seasons).

I have stayed at both hotels back in 2013 in a previous job, but I realize a lot could've changed since then.

Milwaukee Jun 16, 2019 7:46 pm

The Four Seasons Chicago is the only FS to which I would never return. The room was unclean and the service was nonexistent. So my vote would be for the Waldorf. However; in either case it might be worth checking the Virtuoso options for free nights and/or upgrades.

GetSetJetSet Jun 17, 2019 9:52 am

Neither. Peninsula or Langham is board consensus. My last stay at the Pen was wonderful. Some friends stayed at the FS and I joined them there for drinks and was not impressed.

Altocumulus Jun 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Agree Pen is vastly superior to FS in Chicago

uclabruin82 Jun 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Agree on the Pen

Ericka Jun 18, 2019 3:13 am

Yes, we all love the Peninsula. Is there a reason you’re not considering it?

ORDAAFlyer296 Jun 21, 2019 9:13 am

Neither. I've had bad experiences at both the FS and the Waldorf. Also had a negative experience at the Pen, though from what I've heard that was a one-off. Still, at $800/night in Chicago you don't get much leeway. The Langham, on the other hand, has never disappointed in my many stays there.

Jerkstore Jun 24, 2019 3:54 pm

Waldorf can get you a pretty big room for a pretty reasonable rate. I've enjoyed my time there. Great location.

TravelLawyer Jan 2, 2020 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill (Post 31209543)
I will be heading to Chicago next week for 4 nights (Sunday - Thursday) for work and was hoping to get a recommendation on which of these 2 hotels to book. I will be placing the reservation through AMEX's fine hotels & resorts program & the Waldorf has a free 3rd night option, which brings the daily rate down to about $585 (vs. $770+ otherwise and compared to around $650/night for the Four Seasons).

I have stayed at both hotels back in 2013 in a previous job, but I realize a lot could've changed since then.

Which hotel did you choose? I just stayed at the Peninsula Chicago for the first time over the new year. Was looking at the FS for an upcoming staycation (never been but offering good rates), but Waldorf Astoria is hands down my favorite property in Chicago.

BenjaminNicholas Jan 2, 2020 11:38 pm

WA Chicago just reminds me of how much better it was back when it was Elysian. Not a fan since it was taken over.

The Pen is always solid.

Langham is consistent... And that's tough in the hotel biz.

DetailsIM Jan 3, 2020 9:22 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas (Post 31902872)
WA Chicago just reminds me of how much better it was back when it was Elysian. Not a fan since it was taken over.

The Pen is always solid.

Langham is consistent... And that's tough in the hotel biz.

We stayed at the Langham last April and really enjoyed it. Staying there again in just over a week.

Had a corner suite last visit:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...171f316bf5.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0682838037.jpg

ABG Jan 3, 2020 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer (Post 31901539)
Was looking at the FS for an upcoming staycation (never been but offering good rates), but Waldorf Astoria is hands down my favorite property in Chicago.

As an update reminder, the FS is now closed completely until early February complete the final stages of their renovation plan.
All work is due to be over by June 2020

tomcat007 Feb 23, 2020 8:36 pm

Is the Peninsula sill the best option in Chicago?

janwillem Feb 24, 2020 10:04 am

Had a stay at the WA with generous Centurion benefits a few weeks ago. Some remarks:

- Not the cosiest of hotels. Feels a bit clinical.
- Upgraded at booking, again before check-in and again at check-in. From cheapest DeLuxe to Junior Suite to DeLuxe one bedroom suite.
- Suite, although comfortable, was not very stylish. Great bathroom though.
- Room was not ready at check-in (after 3 pm) which I always find annoying when it happens
- Margeaux restaurant is excellent. Had a breakfast, a lunch and a dinner there (and a drink at the bar). Delicious food and good service.
- Good gym but can get busy, did not try the pool.

phant0m Feb 24, 2020 4:21 pm

Had a client who I booked at the Waldorf and they loved it.