Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What hotels do you recommend in Puglia, Italy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Discussion in Italy Forum about where to go in area:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/1976815-looking-ideas-several-weeks-puglia-basilicata-matera.html#post31278242

Includes recommendation for https://masseriasalamina.com/ (not luxury)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 6:54 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Puglia suddenly seems to be a hot destination. Two sets of friends have been there in the past several months. I've also seen a number of articles on it.
  • Both friends enthusiastically recommend La Fiermontina in Lecce.
  • One suggested Palazzo Bozzi Corso, owned by La Fiermontina and steps from it.
  • One stayed at Borgo Egnazia, Fasano, and enjoyed it.
  • The other was at Masseria Fumarola, Martina Franca
  • and Locanda di San Martino, Matera.
  • A recent article spoke of Aquatio Cave Luxury Hotel & Spa, Matera, each room in a restored Sassi cave.

Where have you stayed and what did you think? How much time would you spend in this region?
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 27, 2019 at 7:09 pm
Old May 28, 2019, 3:00 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

I would probably do 10 days, combining Puglia and Basilicata (Matera).

Staying at a Masseria is highly recommended. We stayed at Melograno and Borgo Egnazia. We really liked the former, the latter is very nice, but very big and the whole thing reminded me of the showroom of an interior design store - just a bit too much, too new, too perfect. There is also Masseria Torre Maizza, just re-opened after extensive renovations as a Rocco Forte property. Heard very good initial feedback.

I would not stay in Matera - the city is very touristic, and the hotel rooms in the sassi are unique, but a bit depressing, knowing that they once were the slums of the poorest of the poor, living there in the most squalid conditions. Matera is a sight to see though, for a day trip.

Consider also Palazzo Margherita by the Coppola family in nearby Bernalda.

A seaside property which looks good but I have yet to go there is La Peschiera
Old May 28, 2019, 1:01 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Also think the new Masseria Torre Maizza looks very good and interesting!
Old May 28, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
We spent 10 days in Puglia/Basilicata last year, and we felt it was a good amount of time. We were with a small group of folks we'd met on a previous trip to South Africa and arranged this trip as sort of a "reunion". We stayed in 3 different hotels and did day trips here and there. We finished the trip with four nights at La Fiermontina in Lecce and highly recommend it. Lovely, modern hotel close to the city centre. Very high standard. Our group had an incredible private dinner one night at the Palazzo Bozzi Corso and it is also a beautiful property. It would be a very different experience staying there, it's right in town and I don't think it's a full-service hotel. Side note: we had one of our best restaurant meals in recent years at 3 Rane in Lecce. It's tiny, so book ahead - the chef is great.
We stayed at Palazzo Viceconte in Matera. It's a lovely restored and updated old building with terrific views of the Sassi, I don't think we would have enjoyed one of the cave hotels. (We did have a cave room at our other hotel - Masseria Napoleone - which was a fun experience, but not enough so that we'd go out of our way to repeat it.) The old town in Matera is very interesting area to walk around and definitely worth a visit. Lots of decent restaurants within easy walking distance of our hotel.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Our group had an incredible private dinner one night at the Palazzo Bozzi Corso and it is also a beautiful property.
We had Easter Lunch there (a group of 15) it was magical and amazingly a good value. Even if I stayed at the Fieramonte, I would still eat at least one meal at the Palazzo.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:43 am

We stayed at Borgo Egnazia and really liked it.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:04 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I have booked La Fiermontina, Lecce, for four nights. I'll use it for day trips in the heel of Italy. I'd like to choose another hotel for two to four nights that gives us a different base. My priorities:
  • small property, ideally less than 20 rooms
  • spacious room (will pay for junior suite or suite)
  • view - love a sense of space from the windows while in the room
  • good food either in the hotel or nearby
Thoughts? It can be a property already mentioned or a new one.

I read an article that highly praised Palazzo Daniele, Gagliano del Capo. It's at the very bottom of the heel. It's very intriguing but perhaps doesn't offer sufficient contrast to the Lecce area. Thoughts?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:30 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I feel like Lecce is a good base for the heel and you'd be better off looking around the Fasano area and doing some nights there for contrast. You'd be closer to Polignano A Mare, Alberobello/Locorotondo, Ostuni, even Matera, etc.
Maybe La Peschiera with 13 rooms on the beach near Monopoli fits the bill as sufficiently different enough to your Lecce property and giving you a completely different area of Puglia.
SanDiego1K, Nizar and babs441 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by sydakllon
Maybe La Peschiera with 13 rooms on the beach near Monopoli fits the bill as sufficiently different enough to your Lecce property and giving you a completely different area of Puglia.
This looks amazing - great suggestion.
On my list.

How many days would you suggest to explore the "heel" of Italy ?

Maybe 10-14 days across 2-3 properties ?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:37 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Yep - 5 days in the northern part and 5 days in the southern would be about right if you had the time. Or 7 days more central if pressed for time. It's only 1h15 drive really between Polignano A Mare and Lecce for example.
babs441 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Anyone have any recent updates on Borgo Egnazia? We are considering it in June. Any others in the Northern portion of Puglia you would suggest? (North of Ostuni, South of Bari)
Old Oct 6, 2020, 7:48 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just booked Masseria Torre Maizza for next week. It’s my first trip anywhere since pre-Covid (it’s been too long ). I’m wondering if anyone has stayed there in the last couple of years since they turned into a Rocco Forte Hotel. Experiences? Do you know if they are still partnered with Masseria Torre Coccaro and allow you to use their facilities? Also any restaurant recommendations in the area?
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 1:06 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by myeurocrush
I just booked Masseria Torre Maizza for next week. It’s my first trip anywhere since pre-Covid (it’s been too long ). I’m wondering if anyone has stayed there in the last couple of years since they turned into a Rocco Forte Hotel. Experiences? Do you know if they are still partnered with Masseria Torre Coccaro and allow you to use their facilities? Also any restaurant recommendations in the area?
Wondering the same, booked for the week after
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:22 am

I have not yet visited these properties. I have added them on my list when I did read about them in a local newspaper or so.

https://castellodiugento.com/

And a local B&B: https://www.casadellascrittrice.com/
Old Oct 10, 2020, 12:57 pm
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
Wondering the same, booked for the week after
I’m not sure if you saw it already, but they have a nice package available on the website. “Authentic apulian break”. I had booked elsewhere and cancelled and rebooked this because the rate was cheaper. But also it includes a €300 Or €500 dining credit, upgrade upon availability, and if you book 7 or more nights 1 night is free (not reflected in the rate but subtracted later). To my surprise when I logged in to look at my reservation they had deducted the price of one night off the total and already upgraded my room category. It Also includes a welcome amenity and breakfast.
If you become a Rocco Forte member you will also get 15% off Restaurants and spa.

When do you arrive? We check out the 19th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.