Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Washington, DC recommendations?

Old May 22, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.

Too many options! Every website has opinions on the top luxury hotels in DC... and they all have different ones!
We'll be staying 6 nights in July - Mr albie, me, and our 3 kids (ages 10, 10, 11). Not planning to have a car. Doing touristy things + visiting family. Kids love to hang out in hotel/room when we travel, so want something with space/comfort for us all to sit in one room (even if we stay in two rooms - looking at maybe a suite connected to a double, for example). We enjoy a luxury hotel that feels opulent, rather than "Nordic minimalism" (we get that at home!).
Which hotels do you like and why?
Old May 23, 2019, 7:39 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by albie
Too many options! Every website has opinions on the top luxury hotels in DC... and they all have different ones!
We'll be staying 6 nights in July - Mr albie, me, and our 3 kids (ages 10, 10, 11). Not planning to have a car. Doing touristy things + visiting family. Kids love to hang out in hotel/room when we travel, so want something with space/comfort for us all to sit in one room (even if we stay in two rooms - looking at maybe a suite connected to a double, for example). We enjoy a luxury hotel that feels opulent, rather than "Nordic minimalism" (we get that at home!).
Which hotels do you like and why?
The Rosewood is undergoing a renovation (on public spacing/restaurants) at the moment and will reopen in a few weeks. I think that might be a good option for the family to consider. And has 3rd night free promotion as I'm seeing from Elite promotions. So staying 6 nights means you can get 2 nights free They are actually going to introduce Townhouses (build across from the hotel) but I just got word from friends there that it won't be ready till Sep. Still, Rosewood hotel might be a great option for the family. You can do a Rosewood Suite connecting to King bed room + a rollaway. It won't be uber "modern/minimalistic" but I wouldn't say it's opulent, either. Maybe more classic. I've had great feedback on this property from families visiting.

Another option would be The Jefferson. It's great location for seeing all the touristy things and definitely more classic/historic in decor.
Again, not opulent (like many options you might find in Paris) but it's far from modern.

Cheers!
albie likes this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; May 23, 2019 at 7:54 am
Old May 23, 2019, 9:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Rosewood isn’t well served by transit. The Jefferson and St Regis would be more opulent and better located for touristy type stuff. We usually stay at the PH primarily because they have good family room options. The Park Exec suite connected to another room is excellent. Plus there’s a pool. Location wise it’s really nowhere you’d want to be but close to places. Walking distance to Georgetown; walking to Mstro is about 12 minutes.

Fdw
albie, United747, BESVISOR and 2 others like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I live here, so I rarely stay in any of the hotels. However, as mentioned above the Jefferson is a great location and an interesting property. Located near the Jefferson are the Madison, the Hay-Adams, and the Willard. These all great spots too. A little different, but funky, is the W Hotel on 15th St. around the corner from the Willard. The Ritz-Carlton on 22nd St. is good option too. It's closer to the Metro than the Park Hyatt as well.

For tourism purposes, Georgetown is out of the way. Same with the Mandarin Oriental location.
albie likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I like the Ritz on M Street, although I feel like it's gotten worse than it was say a decade ago. Location is good and a nice gym. They also have a good club floor. It could be tricks of memory, but I feel like they reno'd the rooms in the last 5-7 years and made everything boring, dark and gray. Downgrade from how it was before.
albie likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I usually stay at the PH as I love their restaurant, Blue Duck Tavern. But as Flyingdoctorwu said, Metro is a bit of a walk.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:51 pm

The PH is far from opulent. Closer to "Nordic Minimalism." Not in a tourist area nor close to Metro. Walkable to Georgetown, which no one but tourists visit anymore (although some of the homes on side streets are interesting). Georgetown peaked in the Kennedy years.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:04 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
So I will go ahead and give a shout out for the brand new Conrad Sakura Club Floor- even though the only thing “opulent” is the service. (The rooms are contemporary)
We just spent 6 nights there, switching over from the St Regis after several warnings from trusted travelers here (bhrubin most prominently). This was only our second Conrad experience (the other was in Tokyo) but we were very impressed with the “hotel within a hotel” Sakura Club. Our studio suite was not palatial - but it was very comfortable and the staff at Sakura was wonderful.

We didn’t really take advantage of the Club Lounge other than for champagne breaks- but a family who wanted to utilize the generous offerings would come out way ahead.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I go a lot for business. I usually stay at the Park Hyatt but get at least a jr suite. The rooms are older but when they were more “ fresh”they were quite good. Unfortunately that was awhile ago. Having said that the jr suites are roomy for 1 or 2 people. I ask to face the front of the hotel as the inner courtyard has trucks enter starting at about 6 in the morning and they are very loud. I’m a light sleeper and usually courtyard would be a good thing but not here. You also don’t want to be above the outdoor part of the restaurant in good weather as can be noisy. Btw, the Blue Duck Tavern restaurant quite good. And yes they have a pool which I like, but it’s very small.
My veryfavorite hotel these days is the Jefferson. Love everything about it but must get a higher end room. This is my first choice but the corporate rates at Park Hyatt and large jr suite room, good location and really good restaurant sway me sometimes, but Jefferson a better hotel. I only go for business so if for leisure I might choose differently.

i also like the Four Seasons but only the highest end rooms....

Old May 25, 2019, 5:23 am

As a "local" of nearly 40 years I really don't consider the PH a good location for first time visitors who want to tour the city. The location on the West End is mainly apartment and office buildings with virtually no sights a tourist would find interesting. The only way to get around would be either long walks or a taxi. And yes, the Blue Duck Tavern is good but also very expensive.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:27 pm

We are at the tail end of a 7/8 day stay at the Sofitel/St Regis. At the Sofitel we had a paid stay in the Executive Suite. We are currently at the halfway point through a points stay in the Metropolitan Suite in the St Regis.

The Sofitel is much quieter and less “busy”. During our time there we did not hear any significant noise while in our room. Our room was not connected to any other room so I am not sure if they have connecting rooms. The suite was smaller than the St Regis. It was relatively newish and clean. It is much simpler than the St Regis. It is about the same distance to the White House as the St Regis. Service at the Sofitel appears to be hit or miss. It does not appear to related to their position.

The St Regis is much busier than the Sofitel. So far they have had a wedding, party or corporate event 4/5 nights we have stayed here. They have connecting rooms because our room is connected to another room. The sound proofing is poor. I can hear the adjoining room tv. The other day my wife was using the hair dryer and I could hear it down the hall. Everything is much more opulent but in need of a refurbish. The service is much better overall with the exception of their Butler service.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by muran
We are at the tail end of a 7/8 day stay at the Sofitel/St Regis. At the Sofitel we had a paid stay in the Executive Suite. We are currently at the halfway point through a points stay in the Metropolitan Suite in the St Regis.

The Sofitel is much quieter and less “busy”. During our time there we did not hear any significant noise while in our room. Our room was not connected to any other room so I am not sure if they have connecting rooms. The suite was smaller than the St Regis. It was relatively newish and clean. It is much simpler than the St Regis. It is about the same distance to the White House as the St Regis. Service at the Sofitel appears to be hit or miss. It does not appear to related to their position.

The St Regis is much busier than the Sofitel. So far they have had a wedding, party or corporate event 4/5 nights we have stayed here. They have connecting rooms because our room is connected to another room. The sound proofing is poor. I can hear the adjoining room tv. The other day my wife was using the hair dryer and I could hear it down the hall. Everything is much more opulent but in need of a refurbish. The service is much better overall with the exception of their Butler service.
@damon88
Old May 26, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I would also recommend the Watergate hotel.
I’m surprised no one mentioned Trump International. It looks opulent and that location is unbeatable.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tomcat007
I’m surprised no one mentioned Trump International. It looks opulent and that location is unbeatable.
I think we all know why no one had previously recommended that hotel. And why so many will never consider staying there. So more chance for you, I suppose.
KatW, dgreen12, af fp and 7 others like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:49 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by tomcat007
Looks absolutely beautiful! Has anyone stayed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.