Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Would you pay double for better furniture / interior design?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

Say you are choosing a suite type at a luxury hotel. Among the suite types, there are two, which we will call "Type A" and Type B".

Both "Type A" and "Type B" has the exactly same layout when looking at the floor plan.

However, "Type B" has nicer furnishings / decor (that may have historical significance to the hotel such as a certain celebrity staying there in the past and/or being decorated with antiques and artwork) compared to "Type A" which has the hotel's generic interior design.

Type B costs twice as much as Type A per night.

So which type of suite would you choose and why?
Old May 14, 2019, 10:01 pm
Original Member

It's not that simple. Depends as well on location, service, public areas, F&B, concierge, offerings, etc.

Old May 15, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by KatW
It's not that simple. Depends as well on location, service, public areas, F&B, concierge, offerings, etc.
Maybe I read it wrong but my impression was that the OP was comparing two suites at the same hotel ?
offerendum and strickerj like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Nizar
Maybe I read it wrong but my impression was that the OP was comparing two suites at the same hotel ?
Correct, two different types of suites at the SAME hotel.

The decision to stay at this hotel has already been made taking into account of location, amenities etc.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I wouldn't pay double. Usually don't spend enough time in the suite to justify that.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:24 am

Is this some kind of hypothetical question, or is this based on a particular property? If this is some kind of survey, that should also be clarified.

I cannot think on any hotel in which identical categories are available in which the only difference is furniture. Top/signature suites usually are significantly more differentiated from standard, or at least should be at any truly high end hotel.

I cannot answer the question the way it has been phrased in the OP.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
If the furniture/interior design is 3.7 times as nice, I would pay double.
aa213bb and strickerj like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
For the same layout suite, no.
Even if it have historical significance I wont pay extra.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Double prize I would pay if it´s a significant difference, for excample one room is renovated and the other quite tired, so not luxury hotel worth (doubt I would choose the hotel in this case). But normally I can´t imagin only furniture is worth a double price for me, especially as I don´t know any luxury Hotel which has such significant differences.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: UA
No.

A celebrity previously staying adds nothing to the value or comfort of a space— at least to me, maybe not the same for those swayed by influencers.

The art and antiques question is also a no. There is so much subjectivity in art — I dislike certain colors for example. So would I pay twice as much — no.

Old May 15, 2019, 8:15 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by daniellam
Correct, two different types of suites at the SAME hotel.

The decision to stay at this hotel has already been made taking into account of location, amenities etc.
In that case, no.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:45 am

No. So long as the generic furniture is approximately normal luxury hotel standard, I don't care enough about decor that I'd pay more. Historical significance and celebrity stays are meaningless to me.

Layout, view and quiet are much more important.

Last edited by richarddd; May 15, 2019 at 9:55 am
Old May 15, 2019, 10:32 am

I do enjoy the visual factor in a room, regarding fabrics, and artwork but would definitely not pay double.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Depends what the double is on. If it’s $650 vs. $1300, maybe. If it’s $2k vs $4k, then no.

Ive looked at specialty suites at the Ritz but the price jump between that and a non specialty suite there has been hard to swallow given similar rooms sizes
Old May 15, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Nope.

What I would do is see if the hypothetical posh hotel is part of the AMEX FHR program. If it was I would book the regular suite and hope that I could get the better room as a upgrade in room category. If not, I would then go home and create a post on my experiences on FT as well as tweet at the hotel's Twitter page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.