Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Would you pay double for better furniture / interior design?

Would you pay double for better furniture / interior design?

Old May 15, 2019, 3:44 pm

For me, I just want my hotel to have furnishings new enough that I don't feel like I'm in an old horror movie.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:20 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Thats too big a question...

Is it a reasonable baseline price, Am I on a leisure weekend or special occasion, will I be spending a lot of time in the resort?

Does it come with club access, nicer amenities? Most luxury suites come with balcony, patio, a view, bigger tub, larger TV, sound system, area for entertaining, toiletries, robes, wine & chocolates... Rarely are they exactly the same even if the same size. Then yes, I would be willing to pay double.

If Im already paying $4-500, its a business trip, I wont be spending a lot of time and theres not a lot to offer other than nicer furniture or less shabby interiors, Unlikely...
Old May 15, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Could happen for my family if there was for example art from somebody interesting so essentially you would get a personal gallery experience. Just "better" furniture etc no. Famous people stayed before, no meaning what so ever.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:40 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
I see a lot of people saying no...

It got me wondering. If you were checking into a very nice just renovated, all mod cons hotel and they said to you, were at capacity. Would you consider one of our older, un-renovated rooms, the plumbing isnt as good, older furniture & lighting, the windows clouded, carpet worn, a CRT TV. We can offer you a 50% discount?

Would you be more willing?
Old May 15, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Interesting question. My wife is a historian and archivist for a private collection of Civil War documents, so I appreciate places and things that are historically significant. I'd seek out (and pay extra) for a property (or a room within a property) with historical significance, depending on the nature of its history. Just for nicer furnishings, I might but not twice as much.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by amt
I see a lot of people saying no...

It got me wondering. If you were checking into a very nice just renovated, all mod cons hotel and they said to you, were at capacity. Would you consider one of our older, un-renovated rooms, the plumbing isnt as good, older furniture & lighting, the windows clouded, carpet worn, a CRT TV. We can offer you a 50% discount?

Would you be more willing?
Only if it had a good Ritz Carlton level lounge to which I get free access, I get comp'ed breakfast up to $30 per person, dinner up to $60 per person, the highest room category available, and a $100 property credit.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Not sure of the intent of this thread. Is OP collecting some sort of research material ?
I would think that were I able to spend on such suites, I must have arrived to a position such as this, why would I ask TOTAL strangers to help make up my mind ?
Old May 15, 2019, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by HMPS
Not sure of the intent of this thread. Is OP collecting some sort of research material ?
I would think that were I able to spend on such suites, I must have arrived to a position such as this, why would I ask TOTAL strangers to help make up my mind ?
Planning to book the suite with the generic (but still nice) interior via FHR and see if I can negotiate an upsell to the specialty suite on arrival for less than the published rate. The hotel doesn't typically upgrade past the suite the with the generic interior even for FHR stays.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by daniellam
Planning to book the suite with the generic (but still nice) interior via FHR and see if I can negotiate an upsell to the specialty suite on arrival for less than the published rate. The hotel doesn't typically upgrade past the suite the with the generic interior even for FHR stays.
Thank you. That helps ...would have loved to see it in the original post.
offerendum likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I always book a room/suite I'd be happy in instead of needing an upgrade to be happy.

I wouldn't pay double for the same layout.
KatW and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
In this case I must see the different suites. If I know I can judge.

Btw: Clebreties staying in a room would sometimes be a reason to pay more NOT to stay in this room. Really fear I booked a room for my upcomming trip David Hasselhoff stayed bevore with his girlfriend.....
strickerj likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:22 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Normally no, but it does depend on the original rate. I look at what I get for what I pay and wether I consider it worth it. For example; Sometimes a couple of suquare meters extra with same design and furniture is worth a lot more than the relative difference in size for example. Have never come across a hotel room which is much more expensive than another only because of design and furniture, so hard to judge without picures. If I really disliked the standard interior design, I would not consider staying there, but if I found out that the nicer suites were exactly the same in terms of layout with a double rate, I would feel ripped off.
offerendum and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absent specifics from the original poster, I am having a hard time understanding the purpose of this thread. That it's a survey disguised as a regular thread does seem like the most likely explanation. Those are not permitted with0out pre-approval, so I am closing this thread. The OP should contact the mods if they have more info and wish the thread re-opened.

RichardInSF, mderator, luxury hotels and travel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.