Amanruya - Bodrum

Old May 7, 19, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Amanruya - Bodrum

Any recent experience post-renovation and re-opening (I believe last year).

There are some TRs on here but rather dated. Wondering whether some of the issues (e.g., beachside) have been fixed since and just the overall experience.
Old May 9, 19, 10:59 am

Hi,

There's my post from exactly 1 year ago, bit of a coincidence haha: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29733449-post94.html

I am not sure I posted my final feedback but rest assured that we absolutely loved our stay. It's a wonderful resort with a GM who gets Aman. A friend of mine went during busy July 2018 and she also really liked it, even when it was super high season and the resort was at full capacity. In terms of price versus quality: this is one of the gems in Europe. I will return this year for sure, early Autumn.

If you would have any specific questions, more than happy to answer. Or just PM.
Old May 9, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Hi Epicura

I'm thinking to stay in either Amanruya or Mandarin Oriental. How was the food and spa in Aman? Do they have heated pools?
I will be there end of this month and seems the weather in Bodrum is quite cold. MO has an indoor pool and bigger spa area. It maybe a better choice for May?

Best regards

Perry
Old May 9, 19, 1:33 pm

MO Bodrum has deteriorated rather quickly after a fulminant opening period, so you might want to consider this when making your decision. I tend to ignore the size of a Spa, as it does not say much about the quality of treatments but if facilities are important to you, MO easily wins here.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old May 9, 19, 4:21 pm

Programs: CX MPC
I have heared that mo service is only medicore. But not so sure if aman is far better. The price of mo and aman are similar, so my main considers are hotel service, food, and spa.
Also the weather of May is a problem, MO has a indoor pool to swim. Not sure if AMAN heat their pools.

Old May 11, 19, 3:42 am

Very quick post already:
- Service was very good to outstanding at Amanruya. Hence why I posted that Igor is the kind of Aman GM who really gets Aman. That's also a factor these days unfortunately.
- For end of May I for sure would not worry about the weather. April and October (mostly end of October) can be a bit +/- but May and then certainly end of May: you should be more than ok. Cold versus warm/hot can be subjective of course but 25° C is nothing to complain about, no?
- Food was very good. Mix of typical Mediterranean style, Greek and Turkish which is rather typical for Bodrum peninsula.
- Amanruya versus MO: apart from the mediocre reviews re MO, I do think that this remains a very personal question. MO is a hotel and more of the type M'as-tu vu. Aman is Aman, a more secluded hideaway with very private pavillions all with a private pool.

I will send Igor a text and ask about the spa. Spa was small last year but not sure they have changed it for this season. Could be because I know Igor was planning to extend the typical season which is May-October and this year the hotel did open in Mid April IIRC.
Old May 11, 19, 3:49 am
Aman Contributor Badge

They have heated pools at Amanruya.
Old May 11, 19, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Musken View Post
They have heated pools at Amanruya.
They do indeed, thanks for answering, I forgot. To be exact: 24 out of 35 individual pools are heated to 28°. Amanruya will always try to assign a pavillion with heated pool and heating is only required until June. Then it gets so hot the pools are anyway on that temperature. The individual pools are rather big and bigger than a standard plunge pool (and finished with the most beautiful green marble).

The spa is still located in a pavillion/suite as was the case last year but they have extended the menu. Will post it as soon as I have a copy.
Old May 13, 19, 2:50 am
Original Poster

That's great. I've been put in touch with Igor and he's been quite responsive so far.

2 questions:

1) any advise on specific pavilions to opt for?

2) did you do any excursions and were any of them particular highlights? Igor has suggested Ephesus but I'm not sure about a 2.5 hrs drive each way in the middle of the summer (end June)
Old May 13, 19, 3:24 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Here’s our trip report from several years ago. Our favorite close activity was the honey farm. We also did Ephesus. The drive wasn’t bad, especially if you have them pack you breakfast, snacks, etc. I would get there early to beat the heat.
Trip Report: Four Seasons Sultanahmet & Amanruya (Turkey)

Last edited by Ericka; May 14, 19 at 12:01 pm
Old May 14, 19, 11:02 am

I have a PDF from the new spa menu but FT beats me on how to upload. Will ask my kids later .
Send me a PM if you want a copy for now!
Old May 14, 19, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by yhm85 View Post
That's great. I've been put in touch with Igor and he's been quite responsive so far.

2 questions:

1) any advise on specific pavilions to opt for?

2) did you do any excursions and were any of them particular highlights? Igor has suggested Ephesus but I'm not sure about a 2.5 hrs drive each way in the middle of the summer (end June)

1) the pavillions with full sea view are very nice. If these can fit the budget, I would highly recommend. But be aware that some of the pavilions with full or partial seaview have patio's/private outdoor space situated on different levels so if that could be an issue, make sure to ask your TA to put this as a remark. For guests with smaller children: the garden pavilions do have an extra garden, which could be ideal for children.

2) Ephesus is obviously one of the cultural highlights of Turkey so I would always recommend to visit. Apart from Ephesus: Bodrum is a great and lovely town and you should really get out one night to eat a local restaurant. Amanruya can recommend and book for you the nicest places in town (there's a very good seafood restaurant but I can not recall the name, very famous for local seafood and crustacés etc). Amanruya also has a private gület which is IMHO very reasonably priced for a daytrip. The area is wonderful and I would highly recommend this excursion. Clear blue waters, ideal for snorkeling, and the captain can take you to some special spots/restaurants for lunch.

To add in general: if time is on your side, a wonderful itinerary would be to combine both Amanzoe and Amanruya and connect both hotels via private yacht. I have worked on such itinerary for a friend last year and it's certainly doable but you would need at least 2 weeks to connect Zoe and Ruya in order to fully enjoy the Aegean sea and islands. As soon as I can take 4 weeks of, such itinerary is absolutely on my bucket list.1 week Zoe, 2 weeks of sailing/cruising the Aegean and then 1 week Ruya
scented, FlyerEC and ajca like this.
Old May 15, 19, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Amex Plat, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Just got back this week from Amanruya... spa nothing special but massage was good.

We enjoyed Ephesus especially as it wasn't that crowded. Bodrum is fine to walk around and have a meal. Unfortunately the Castle is closed for renovation so that was too bad.

Good food although dinner menu can get tedious after a few nights.

Most pavilions are partial seaview...not sure full sea view is so much better.

Search this Thread