Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Bora Bora - reef question

Old Apr 25, 19, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Contemplating visiting Four Season in Bora Bora, but had some questions about their reef. First off - do they have one? Is it a natural reef or is it a man-man reef?

Secondly, is said reef bleached, or in the process of bleaching/dying? Lastly! What are you general impressions of the reef, compared to places like Maldives(before their bleaching event)?

Obviously the reef is really important to my travel plans. Any insight would be much much much appreciated!

Thanks!
-Heli
Old Apr 25, 19, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Heliface View Post
Hello,

Contemplating visiting Four Season in Bora Bora, but had some questions about their reef. First off - do they have one? Is it a natural reef or is it a man-man reef?

Secondly, is said reef bleached, or in the process of bleaching/dying? Lastly! What are you general impressions of the reef, compared to places like Maldives(before their bleaching event)?

Obviously the reef is really important to my travel plans. Any insight would be much much much appreciated!

Thanks!
-Heli
Things may have changed, but when I was at FS Bora Bora in 2011, 2013 and 2016 the reef was quite... dead. There were some isolated fish here and there around the overwater bungalows if you waited long enough, but clearly more the exception. The water is crystal clear and gorgeous, but there is no reef to speak of and no marine life. In the inner lagoon and around the waterways you can see a bit more, especially with the help of their marine biologist, but FS Bora Bora has not much to offer in that regard. The heavy construction has taken its toll.

Further down towards where Hotel Bora Bora was, the reef and marine life is simply amazing. Or on the other side of the island, compared to FS (over the volcano so to speak), there are also some amazing spots. I think near the Hilton. I would recommend taking a jet ski or small boat to go there.
Old Apr 25, 19, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scented View Post

Things may have changed, but when I was at FS Bora Bora in 2011, 2013 and 2016 the reef was quite... dead. There were some isolated fish here and there around the overwater bungalows if you waited long enough, but clearly more the exception. The water is crystal clear and gorgeous, but there is no reef to speak of and no marine life. In the inner lagoon and around the waterways you can see a bit more, especially with the help of their marine biologist, but FS Bora Bora has not much to offer in that regard. The heavy construction has taken its toll.

Further down towards where Hotel Bora Bora was, the reef and marine life is simply amazing. Or on the other side of the island, compared to FS (over the volcano so to speak), there are also some amazing spots. I think near the Hilton. I would recommend taking a jet ski or small boat to go there.
Thanks for the detailed reply! Just checking all the boxes here, but how long of a walk would it be to where the Hotel Bora Bora was? Wondering if it's near enough to be convenient.
Old Apr 25, 19, 5:47 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We were researching this a lot in the last year. The bulk of the marine life at the FS is in their inner lagoon. It’s calm and easy snorkeling in there, too. There are a lot of photos and videos of the lagoon online and on youtube for you to get an idea.
Old Apr 25, 19, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
We were researching this a lot in the last year. The bulk of the marine life at the FS is in their inner lagoon. Itís calm and easy snorkeling in there, too. There are a lot of photos and videos of the lagoon online and on youtube for you to get an idea.
Awesome! I'll check out youtube. Thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 25, 19, 8:43 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by Heliface View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply! Just checking all the boxes here, but how long of a walk would it be to where the Hotel Bora Bora was? Wondering if it's near enough to be convenient.
There's no way you could walk from the Four Seasons (which is on its only little "island" on the outside rim of the atoll) to the former Hotel Bora Bora (which is on the central motu).
Old Apr 25, 19, 11:43 pm

Much of Bora Bora's extensive reef system was destroyed when hotels were allowed out on the motus - the Four Seasons, St Regis, Thalasso, Meridien etc were all environmental disasters. Some hotels claim they are sensitive to marine issues and have started to build their own reefs and this is showing results and maybe in 50 years' time things might be impressive as long as other factors like sea warming and cyclones don't occur.

There are many snorkelling tours you can take in Bora Bora and there are also the shark and ray feeding trips. However, world class snorkelling is to be found elsewhere in French Polynesia, mainly in the Tuamotus. Resorts in Rangiroa and Tikehau will give you a better fishy experience.

On Moorea, the Hilton has decent snorkelling off the overwater bungalows. And there were fabulous coral heads near the Sofitel on Huahine (that hotel is now closed).
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Apr 27, 19, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses! This is definitely helpful.
Old Apr 28, 19, 1:37 am

Different question, does anybody know what the renovations at FS include?

Seems they are redoing pretty much everything, but not many details given. Doing it while in operation is quite difficult.
Old Apr 28, 19, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I have friends that cancelled a trip here because they couldn't tell them anything about the renovations and how they might affect their stay. For $2000+ per night for the bungalow they'd booked, that was enough info to cancel entirely rather than have the bungalow next door being worked on at 7am each morning
atojbk likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by CRAZ8 View Post
I have friends that cancelled a trip here because they couldn't tell them anything about the renovations and how they might affect their stay. For $2000+ per night for the bungalow they'd booked, that was enough info to cancel entirely rather than have the bungalow next door being worked on at 7am each morning
Wonderful management style Thanks for letting us know.
offerendum likes this.
Old May 2, 19, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, RC Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by scented View Post
Different question, does anybody know what the renovations at FS include?

Seems they are redoing pretty much everything, but not many details given. Doing it while in operation is quite difficult.
Originally Posted by CRAZ8 View Post
​​​​​​
We just came back from FS a few weeks ago. They are building some new OWBs and adding plunge pools to some existing ones. The management team was very proactive and communicated in detail with my TA and myself ahead of time. I think the resort did a great job in keeping the disturbance to a minimum. They blocked off certain affected units and tried to assign guests to rooms away from the construction. To be honest, I barely heard any noise as the ongoing construction was far away from us. There is a near completed new unit next to our bungalow but they simply stopped the work during our stay. The resort also provided a daily construction credit for all guests.

Search this Thread