Peninsula Paris $550

Old Apr 23, 19, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AB Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Peninsula Paris $550

Its my first time doing this, so if I am mistaken, or doesn't belong here please go easy on me. Of all the times Ive stayed at the Peninsula, I think we have paid in the 1200 euros range, but its mostly been holidays and the earlier months of the summer. Was booking a 2 day stay for a friends birthday party, that happened to fall on the weekday, and saw fully cancelable and pay later rates for $550 in the middle of the week the months of August and September. These were on Expedia, rates through Virtuoso/my TA were almost double. Sorry if this is standard for the time, just thought it was Far less than Ive paid in the past.
Old Apr 23, 19, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Quinlanty View Post
Its my first time doing this, so if I am mistaken, or doesn't belong here please go easy on me. Of all the times Ive stayed at the Peninsula, I think we have paid in the 1200 euros range, but its mostly been holidays and the earlier months of the summer. Was booking a 2 day stay for a friends birthday party, that happened to fall on the weekday, and saw fully cancelable and pay later rates for $550 in the middle of the week the months of August and September. These were on Expedia, rates through Virtuoso/my TA were almost double. Sorry if this is standard for the time, just thought it was Far less than Ive paid in the past.
Book right away if you want it, as it is probably a mistake rate.
Old Apr 23, 19, 3:56 pm

In other news: Mauro GOVERNATO, long time Four Seasons man and incredible hotelier, is now GM at The Peninsula in Paris, following Katja Henke and Nicolas Beliard (who some might see at Puri now).

Great losses for Italian FS hotels this month, but thankfully Mauro is still around and with us!
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not as good of a deal, but when looking for the dates in November I might stay, expedia has the Shangri-la at $725 / night. This is about as good as the 3rd-night free deals the hotel runs, but you can confirm the rate now in case they do not run it again for some reason (rate is refundable) and for those who do no have amex platinum and/or use a Virtuoso TA
Old Apr 24, 19, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by uclabruin82 View Post
Not as good of a deal, but when looking for the dates in November I might stay, expedia has the Shangri-la at $725 / night. This is about as good as the 3rd-night free deals the hotel runs, but you can confirm the rate now in case they do not run it again for some reason (rate is refundable) and for those who do no have amex platinum and/or use a Virtuoso TA
I would typically not book through an OTA, but if a deal is almost too good to be true it would be foolish not to take advantage. In the worst case scenario it would simply be canceled and refunded (if prepaid) if the hotel chose not to honor it. So, there is no risk, particularly if it’s a cancellable rate.
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:26 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I doubt it's a false rate and I agree that sometimes deals justify not ro book through the usual channels.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by scented View Post
In other news: Mauro GOVERNATO, long time Four Seasons man and incredible hotelier, is now GM at The Peninsula in Paris, following Katja Henke and Nicolas Beliard (who some might see at Puri now).

Great losses for Italian FS hotels this month, but thankfully Mauro is still around and with us!
Interestingly, Mauro re-joins Brice Delclos, who is number 2 at Pen Paris. They worked together when Four Seasons had Terre Blanche in Provence - Mauro as GM and Brice as F&B.
scented and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
Interestingly, Mauro re-joins Brice Delclos, who is number 2 at Pen Paris. They worked together when Four Seasons had Terre Blanche in Provence - Mauro as GM and Brice as F&B.
Really interesting, Vuittons! I wonder why they did not promote Brice, he seems to do quite well there!
Old Apr 24, 19, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
I doubt it's a false rate and I agree that sometimes deals justify not ro book through the usual channels.
Interesting. Indeed sometimes special rates are offered during low occupancy periods. And hotels can choose to do so on OTAs as a “special” to avoid the problem of advertising deep discount on their own websites, or through high end TAs. Not only does this maintain high published rates, but for sure many guests simply never even look at OTAs at all. Therefore they do not leave cash on the table by deeply discounting to their clientele who would otherwise pay full price anyway.

I would still always try to get a PenClub/Virtuoso agent to match an OTA rate. However, in the case of an unusually good deal, I would book it first on the OTA to secure it, and then ask questions later.

Of course if a rate is low enough, it makes total sense to just book the category one wants and to forgo the usual upgrade and other value add.
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 24, 19 at 1:15 pm
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:21 pm
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post

Interesting. Indeed sometimes special rates are offered during low occupancy periods. And hotels can choose to do so on OTAs as a “special” to avoid the problem of advertising deep discount on their own websites, or through high end TAs. Not only does this maintain high published rates, but for sure many guests simply never even look at OTAs at all. Therefore they do not leave cash on the table by deeply discounting to their clientele who would otherwise pay full price anyway.

I would still always try to get a PenClub/Virtuoso agent to match an OTA rate. However, in the case of an unusually good deal, I would book it first on the OTA to secure it, and then ask questions later.

Of course if a rate is low enough, it makes total sense to just book the category one wants and to forgo the usual upgrade and other value add.
Same with (mostly too expensive) secretescapes or even eBay. Good experience (even if very different) with Harper auctions
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AB Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I ended up booking, too good of a deal to worry about the normal booking benefits. Went to check a few hours later and the price was back to the normal $1,000+ a night.
obscure2k and atojbk like this.

Last edited by Quinlanty; Apr 24, 19 at 7:49 pm
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by scented View Post
Really interesting, Vuittons! I wonder why they did not promote Brice, he seems to do quite well there!
Allegedly, Pen Paris is VERY political, with more than its fair share of owner influence when it comes to any decision.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.