FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Bali in September - RC vs Sofitel or Amankila? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1964478-bali-september-rc-vs-sofitel-amankila.html)

Duck1981 Apr 8, 2019 8:54 am

Bali in September - RC vs Sofitel or Amankila?

Hi All

I am wondering if my fellow Flytertalkers can help me:

Myself and my wife stayed at the Sofitel Bali approx. 2 years ago in July 2017. As a kind of a surprise for her (she is thinking we are flying to LAX), I am taking her back in end of September and I am wondering what the best option would be:
- go again to the Sofitel Bali and get a pool villa (which costs at the moment about £4200 incl. Club Millesmile access)
- go instead to the Ritz Carlton and get a pool access villa worth approx. the same (+plus additionally club access) or get a Ritz Carlton suite which includes Club
- or go to a hotel I am not thinking off yet.

I would be tempted to choose the RC as its something new and would give me a good number of points (being Titanium myself) but I was told the location is slightly remote and nothing else to do there. When I ask my wife about our previous stay in Bali, she says 'she would happily stay in the Sofitel again' as we enjoyed walking around the beach in the evening. I also know the hotel has a good standard, but I am afraid it might be not as good as last time as the surprise factor is gone (and I have no Sofitel status).

My budget is approx. £5500 to £6000 for 9 nights. Having scanned several threads here I know the Amankila is obviously very nice, but maybe too far remote? Also I guess food will be rather expensive there every night? I have also checked the Four Seasons but it will be out of my range (£10k for 9 nights).

Only thing we need would need to be close to the beach and maybe not too remote; and some good service. I know there are several threads (very good threads) but as I am still trying to come to a conclusion I simply try my luck if anyone of you has stayed in both properties and has a rather clear view on this. I know personal taste matters but I would be grateful for every opinion - or advice if there is a better hotel in a similar price range.

Thanks
Daniel

ajca Apr 8, 2019 9:39 am

That's such a lovely surprise for your wife! How wonderful!

A couple of thoughts that I realise may not answer your questions directly but that I think would be worth considering:
  1. 9 nights is a long time to spend at one resort in Bali. Unless you really, really want to stay in one place, I would suggest splitting up your stay until at least two - or even three - properties in different parts of the island
  2. Bali is a big island and Nusa Dua is... not the nicest or most interesting part of it
  3. If the Ritz Carlton's location looks slightly remote to you then Amankila is going to seem like it's on the moon
  4. Nonetheless that is part of what makes Amankila so truly special and east Bali is beautiful and still relatively unspoiled. I seriously doubt that you would regret spending a few nights at Amankila
  5. I don't remember Amankila food being crazily expensive (in context) but alcohol is expensive everywhere in Indonesia due to taxes and with Aman markup it is... really expensive
  6. Generally food in Bali is not particularly expensive by Western standards - even at high end restaurants - so I think food wouldn't be a big part of your overall budget and the club package aspect wouldn't necessarily be so important in choosing where to stay (unless you are big drinkers in which case it can be a great deal!)
  7. It does sound like you would like to stay somewhere close to lots of dining options which tends to point you toward Seminyak. The Legian is highly regarded on this forum. There is a tradeoff though as imho that area is well past overdeveloped

Ericka Apr 8, 2019 11:09 am

I agree that with 9 nights you should split your time. I personally love the Amandari/Amankila combination!

Duck1981 Apr 8, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Ericka (Post 30978456)
I agree that with 9 nights you should split your time. I personally love the Amandari/Amankila combination!

Thanks - I was actually thinking of that :) I think many/ most of the guests do that? Tempted to book 4 nights there and then 5 nights at the beach.

Duck1981 Apr 8, 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by ajca (Post 30978128)
That's such a lovely surprise for your wife! How wonderful!

A couple of thoughts that I realise may not answer your questions directly but that I think would be worth considering:
  1. 9 nights is a long time to spend at one resort in Bali. Unless you really, really want to stay in one place, I would suggest splitting up your stay until at least two - or even three - properties in different parts of the island
  2. Bali is a big island and Nusa Dua is... not the nicest or most interesting part of it
  3. If the Ritz Carlton's location looks slightly remote to you then Amankila is going to seem like it's on the moon
  4. Nonetheless that is part of what makes Amankila so truly special and east Bali is beautiful and still relatively unspoiled. I seriously doubt that you would regret spending a few nights at Amankila
  5. I don't remember Amankila food being crazily expensive (in context) but alcohol is expensive everywhere in Indonesia due to taxes and with Aman markup it is... really expensive
  6. Generally food in Bali is not particularly expensive by Western standards - even at high end restaurants - so I think food wouldn't be a big part of your overall budget and the club package aspect wouldn't necessarily be so important in choosing where to stay (unless you are big drinkers in which case it can be a great deal!)
  7. It does sound like you would like to stay somewhere close to lots of dining options which tends to point you toward Seminyak. The Legian is highly regarded on this forum. There is a tradeoff though as imho that area is well past overdeveloped

Thanks - combining the 2 Aman’s might be a good idea. It’s (hopefully!) the last time we can do something without a young Mr Daniel so I am tempted to do something which would be too difficult with a baby otherwise.

D

jmann2380 Apr 9, 2019 2:13 pm

My wife and I did 4/3/5 at Amanusa, Amandari and Amankila for our honeymoon and it was the perfect amount of time at each resort, although we could have also been happy with flipping the first two. That was (12) nights though, so with (9), I would certainly split it. I'd do (4) nights at Amandari and (5) at Amankila. Perfect mix of city exploring and remote seclusion by the beach. Letting Aman handle everything just takes so much stress off; at least it did for us.

Ericka Apr 9, 2019 5:16 pm

Look for an Aman package that combines the two resorts. These usually include a few complimentary activities and other add ons. Aman also used to manage transportation, and pack and unpack you between resorts. It’s very indulgent!

A Virtuoso travel agent can help you with breakfasts, resort credits, and upgrades in addition to the above.

FlyerEC Apr 9, 2019 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Duck1981 (Post 30978477)

Thanks - I was actually thinking of that :) I think many/ most of the guests do that? Tempted to book 4 nights there and then 5 nights at the beach.

Originally Posted by jmann2380 (Post 30982905)
My wife and I did 4/3/5 at Amanusa, Amandari and Amankila for our honeymoon and it was the perfect amount of time at each resort, although we could have also been happy with flipping the first two. That was (12) nights though, so with (9), I would certainly split it. I'd do (4) nights at Amandari and (5) at Amankila. Perfect mix of city exploring and remote seclusion by the beach. Letting Aman handle everything just takes so much stress off; at least it did for us.

Originally Posted by Duck1981 (Post 30978489)

Thanks - combining the 2 Aman’s might be a good idea. It’s (hopefully!) the last time we can do something without a young Mr Daniel so I am tempted to do something which would be too difficult with a baby otherwise.

Usually do Kila & Amanusa Villa ( skipping Dari now ) , Nusa last as is closest to the airport or if flying to Wana .

As Ericka says , can have a Virtuoso TA assist you .

We have been numerous times so always liaise with the GMs directly , do only 2 Amans now ( or perhaps return to Wana too ) .

5khours Apr 10, 2019 2:01 am

I would definitely try to spend some time in Ubud and some time on the beach. Amankila is fantastic but so is the Legian, which is a bit less expensive. Amandari is also nice but there are some other lovely resorts in Ubud as well such as Komaneka Tanggayuda. A couple of things to keep in mind.

My bill at Aman usually runs about 1.5 to 2x the room rate.
Unlike many other resort destinations the difference between Aman and the nearest competition is not so great so you can stay at some very nice places for a lot less money.

CanuckFlyHigh Apr 10, 2019 10:07 am

I would do an Amankila / Legian mix. That way you get a nice quiet stay at Kila, and a nice lively stay in Seminyak. I would skip Amandari - Ubud is getting very TImes Square'ey, and Amandari is only so so.