FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Best choice near old town in Lucerne? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1963132-best-choice-near-old-town-lucerne.html)

GetSetJetSet Mar 29, 2019 1:58 pm

Best choice near old town in Lucerne?

One of the LHW properties is closed for a reno, other seems to be quite a ways from town. What does FT think about: 1. Hotel Schweizerhof, 2. Grand Hotel National or 3. Penthouse by Art Deco Hotel Montana?

anywhere to consider? Late April, early May. Thanks!

GetSetJetSet Mar 30, 2019 9:15 am

no one?

vuittonsofstyle Apr 1, 2019 10:12 am

I would go for the Schweizerhof, which is family owned.

GetSetJetSet Apr 1, 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 30952746)
I would go for the Schweizerhof, which is family owned.

Great, thanks!

gada Apr 15, 2019 1:56 am

Far from old town but the burgenstock is amazing by the view, rooms and spa, service is really above level but place is great.

paterwdb Apr 15, 2019 7:05 am

About 45 minutes from Lucerne, but I just had a fantastic stay at the Park Vitznau. It was stunning location. Hotel is a very modernized historic building with phenomenal service.

Valveking Apr 15, 2019 7:13 am

Originally Posted by paterwdb (Post 31002095)
About 45 minutes from Lucerne, but I just had a fantastic stay at the Park Vitznau. It was stunning location. Hotel is a very modernized historic building with phenomenal service.

This is definitely the best in the area. Amazing place!

wrp96 Apr 15, 2019 7:21 am

I stayed at the Schweizerhof last year for a few days. I really enjoyed it but as I usually stay at mid-range hotels I wouldn't be able to compare it to luxury hotels. Still here are some thing I liked:

Each room is themed on a different musician, artist, etc. Not over the top but enough to be different and enjoyable.

The World Cup was going on during our stay, with Switzerland playing, and one of the town viewing centers was right next to the hotel. The hotel itself hosted a VIP party. For the few hours that the match was on, it was hard to get in or out of the hotel. BUT within 15 minutes of the match being finished, they had cleared out the hotel AND cleaned everything up (the debris was a foot deep outside the hotel). They really did everything to minimize the disruption to guests. We were sitting in some of the chairs in the lobby when they started to setup for one of the VIP parties and they went out of their way to avoid disturbing us; the second we stood up and walked away those chairs were moved out of the way. We wouldn't have realized, except we looked back and saw what was happening.

The included breakfast was quite nice - in fact, there was a pear pastry that I wish I could have right now.

GetSetJetSet Apr 15, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by paterwdb (Post 31002095)

Thx, I saw this and the Burgenstock on LHW but i'm only going to be there for one night, want to stroll around the old town and be conveniently located. Mostly trying to decide between Schweizerhof, Grand National and The Hotel Lucerne since the LHW property right in town is closed for reno apparently.

moojube Apr 18, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31002884)
Thx, I saw this and the Burgenstock on LHW but i'm only going to be there for one night, want to stroll around the old town and be conveniently located. Mostly trying to decide between Schweizerhof, Grand National and The Hotel Lucerne since the LHW property right in town is closed for reno apparently.

If you stay at Burgenstock u get a free boat roundtrip in first class to old town. first class just means on the 2nd floor of the boat, but less people in there. the spa in burgenstock is really nice too.

GetSetJetSet Apr 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by moojube (Post 31014442)
If you stay at Burgenstock u get a free boat roundtrip in first class to old town. first class just means on the 2nd floor of the boat, but less people in there. the spa in burgenstock is really nice too.

I will keep in mind, but we are coming in from Colmar by train in the morning/early afternoon and renting a car and leaving the next day so I think it'd probably be easier to stay right in the old town so we can maximize our time walking around.

CanuckFlyHigh Apr 21, 2019 10:09 am

If it is within budget, you need to stay at Park Hotel Vitznau. You can day trip to Lucerne very easily.