Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Alaska

Anybody know of any great hotels in Alaska? I’ve read about the new one in Denali, but it seems more like sharing a house - no private baths? It seems the best in Anchorage is Captain Cook? I’d love to get feedback fir a potential trip this summer. Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:39 am
Original Member

These two threads have the references you need.

North American Countryside/Wilderness Luxury Venues

Luxury hotels near Anchorage

Within Anchorage itself, Captain Cook likely is the best but not luxury. Jim and I are staying there in July after our Windstar cruise. The Cook has a club floor and I think that may be preferable.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:38 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
We'll be visiting Ultima Thule Lodge and Winterlake Lodge, but not for a while (Summer 2020.) Will report back, unless someone here gets to the two properties before I do.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:43 am

I would have thought a carefully chosen cruise is the best option in Alaska, assuming you want to see Alaska rather than just stay in a hotel/lodge which limits your access to the major scenic and wildlife locations.

Such as -

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/find-a-cruise.html#%7B!tag=destinationTag%7DdestinationId s=A&%7B!tag=embarkTag%7DembarkPortCode=&%7B!tag=de partTag%7DdepartDate=&%7B!tag=durationTag%7Ddurati on=&%7B!tag=shipsTag%7DshipId=&%7B!tag=cruisetypeT ag%7DcruiseType=&%7B!tag=portsTag%7DportsOfCall=&s oldOut=false&sort=departDate%20asc,price_GBP_anony mous%20asc&group.sort=departDate%20asc,price_GBP_a nonymous%20asc&start=0

Last edited by Pausanias; Mar 23, 2019 at 6:39 am
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I would have thought a carefully chosen cruise is the best option in Alaska, assuming you want to see Alaska rather than just stay in a hotel/lodge which limits your access to the major scenic and wildlife locations.
I planned a land trip last summer and saw a lot. As much or more than you'd see on a cruise, it depends on what you're looking for. You just need the time to do it. We prefer mountain hiking and climbing to simply watching the scenery from a ship deck, and couldn't get that on a cruise. I did a review of Ultima Thule Lodge, though I don't know how to post that link here. Sorry. It was fantastic and I'm planning to go back in 2020 if the timing works. It's true that for classic luxury feeling, you probably can't do better than a small ship cruise though. The best "hotel" you'll find in Alaska is probably Captain Cook in Anchorage, or maybe Alyeska in Girdwood. For a real small group or private wilderness experience, the lodges such as Ultima, Winterlake or a few up even farther north, are all worth the trip.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Member

One thing to know about Captain Cook is the hotel is awash in cruise-ship passengers in summer. Princess puts up her guests there and other passengers stay as well. So, if that time frame is yours, don't wait too long to book. This fact is another reason I booked the club floor reasoning it would be less crowded, quieter, and offer better service.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

include zodiac excursions - silversea expedition, seabourn venture, uncruise

i would think yacht charters would work well

there are land options as noted, just not as many as in canada
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Larkin
Anybody know of any great hotels in Alaska? I’ve read about the new one in Denali, but it seems more like sharing a house - no private baths? It seems the best in Anchorage is Captain Cook? I’d love to get feedback fir a potential trip this summer. Thanks!
You might need to decide between seeing Alaska by land versus staying in luxury lodgings. In some areas, there just aren't any luxury choices.

In fact, if you're planning to drive, pay attention to whether roads are paved, distances between service areas along the route, and reasonable driving times. Also, make sure that you have cell phone coverage where you're going (or plan not to have it, but you don't want to be surprised).

Check the Alaska destination forum on FT. There you will find threads comparing hotels, hiking/sightseeing information, and help with logistical details.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Ideal would be a journey encompassing both cruise and land travel. Were we in better shape, that's what we would do.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
Ideal would be a journey encompassing both cruise and land travel. Were we in better shape, that's what we would do.
We are looking to go on land and sea! Seabourn expedition trip for 14 days with the same team we had in Antarctica and Iceland to Montreal via Greenland and the Canadian Arctic. Both were fabulous trips and the expedition team got us very excited about Alaska. So we are likely going to do their trip in late July, but would like to spend a week or so prior to the anchorage departure seeing sights by land. So some good suggestions, please let me know anything else you recommend! Thank you!

KatW likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
We'll be visiting Ultima Thule Lodge and Winterlake Lodge, but not for a while (Summer 2020.) Will report back, unless someone here gets to the two properties before I do.
These options look great. We will look into doing one of them before our trip. ( if not too late,). We are kind of late in planning. For business reasons we had to postpone our originally planned trip back to some of our favorite spots in Africa so trying to put something else together as couldn’t get our lodge choices again in the new given timeframe with short notice. Thank you for the suggestions!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:44 pm
Original Member

Larkin, we are doing an 11-night Windstar cruise Vancouver to Seward in the last half of July. Friends from Brooklyn will sail with us. We cruised Scotland/Norway/Iceland last summer on Windstar and lived the informal, small ship experience, so comfortable, especially in the owner's suite.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:20 pm
Original Member

Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions! Will look into them this week! And of course will report back after our trip ( latter July through mid August).
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Larkin, I was at Ultima Thule a coupe year of years ago and wrote a few comments here. It’s very remote and it helps if you love to fly in very small planes (which I do). I loved it. In Anchorage the Captain Cook or the Marriott are fine - nothing luxury there (I been to Anchorage over a hundred times). Depending on how far you want to venture, there are other small lodges/inns - not luxury but many with character and good service and unique-ness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.