Reload this Page >

Falling ill or injured whilst sojourning at a luxury hotel

Old Mar 13, 19, 9:59 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Cast at Zihua clinic

Cast change after surgery in Palo Alto; two lengthy incisions on either side of right ankle.

Just after injury.

We know there are myriad ways to evaluate the benefits of a luxury venue and numerous ways for a hotel to make recovery even when the fault is not theirs. I recently was reminded of one criterion not often addressed here: What happens when you fall ill or are injured during your stay?

On my latest trip to Mexico earlier this month, I fractured both leg bones just above the right ankle tripping down a short flight of stairs at La Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo. This luxury venue could not have been more helpful and solicitous. Ambulance and EMTs called to give aid.

Given the way the resort cascades down a cliff to the sea, there are numerous stairs up which I had to be carried (oh, the indignity) to the ambulance that took me to a clinic. Doctor instantly at my side, xrays, bandage and cast, NSAIDs prescribed and crutches lesson (I was hopeless), then back to the resort all within an hour and a half. They stopped by frequently with chilled washclothes, water, snacks and even offered to bathe me (I declined gracefully). Resort paid for all of it -- ambulance, doctor, clinic, treatment, meds, crutches. I said it was unnecessary but they insisted.

Another instance ten years ago at Esperanza in Cabo, I slipped on the tile floor and gashed the back of my head. Concierge to my side in minutes, doctor called, wound cleaned, stitched, bandaged in our suite, all done 40 minutes later. Again, resort paid for treatment, comped us dinner and upgraded us to a larger suite.

A variation on the theme, last summer at the Savoy in London I discovered I had forgotten one of Jim's meds. Called the concierge who arranged for a physician to call on us. She reviewed Jim's online medical records (handy that) and wrote a prescription which she gave to the butler who had it filled. Most satisfactory outcome.

I don't recommend injury or illness when traveling but having a luxury hotel care for one in the event of same is very comforting. What have been experiences in this regard? What are your expectations?

Last edited by KatW; Mar 14, 19 at 12:19 am Reason: added pix
Old Mar 13, 19, 10:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Oh dear me . Hope you are well on the mend & walking normally soon .

Some moons ago , I did to a lesser extent have a similar experience when I tripped on a loose flag stone after stepping over a tiny gutter on The Great Wall ..
Was staying at Aman Summer Palace when Mark S was the GM . The guide , driver were proficient and the ASP team was marvellous . They had the best wheel chair I have been on to date too and just about every man on staff took turns to wheel me . Having to lift me ( 3 or 4 of them each time including Mark ) over every threshold as there are no ramps there . There are , for those who have been know , countless of these - each door had them !

Arrangements were made competently for me to be checked at a hospital and the strongest chauffeur ASP was assigned to us . May have posted this elsewhere but this episode cemented my trust in Amans back then .

Various Amans have come through on various occasions .
More recently , at Chiva Som , Wella / Galla
So besides travel insurance , staying at luxury hotels with teams who are not only understanding but know what to do in emergencies is of utmost importance .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 13, 19 at 10:38 pm
Old Mar 13, 19, 11:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Agreed, and hoping you are completely healed now.

Last edited by KatW; Mar 14, 19 at 12:15 am
Old Mar 13, 19, 11:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KatW View Post
I don't recommend injury or illness when traveling but having a luxury hotel care for one in the event of same is very comforting. What have been experiences in this regard? What are your expectations?

My partner did something similar to you at RC Mandapa with their outdoor shower and the stair leading back to the villa. Slippery surface and a fall. All they did was get a nurse from the village and try to ice it.

It happened on our departure day and really showed the true colors behind Mandapa. Yes, it was the Indonesian New Year or some Water Festival but this happened on their property. They could have did better to get an x-ray and some professional care in Ubud. They probably shouldn't have charged me for the Mercedes SUV to the airport either.

Not even a follow up from the GM when we departed the resort and arrived back home to Korea. It was a lot of limping, shoulder/arm carrys and me running back and forth.

It still gives her a bit of discomfort to this day when it rains or after strenuous activity.

I will never go back to Mandapa and will never forgive them.
Old Mar 13, 19, 11:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Agreed, and hoping youbsre completely healed now.
Am on the mend , thank you KatW , and hopefully completely and all ready by our next trip end of the month which includes a Danube cruise .

Aventine , hope your partner has recovered and you will be ok too psychologically
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:17 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I don't blame you one bit for refusing to return to Mandapa, Aventine. I wouldn't forgive them either.
Aventine and scented like this.
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:24 am

I don't blame you one bit for refusing to return to Mandapa, Aventine. I wouldn't forgive them either.
I think the part that got me was their tacit implication that she did it herself and was to blame for falling. Like, if they showed any sign of remorse then it would open them up to legal liability.
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Ouch, looks super painful, Kat! Iím glad they really took care of you.

The worst injury I can recall is falling down at the Bali Hilton, after a rainstorm, and an unlighted walkway coming off one of their little bridges. I couldnít see that there was a patch of very muddy grass on the step down, and I took a big fall.

The staff was helpful, but luckily I was just scraped up and very sore. I do wish the management had checked up on me, and addressed the lighting problem.
Old Mar 14, 19, 12:41 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Oh, poor you. Hope you are well now.

We have luckily only experienced minor incidents (ear problems for my son at FS Jimbaran, an insect bite for me at Aman-i-khas, a heavy cold for my husband at FS Langkawi and similar) and have been very happy with the assitance from the hotel. A doctor has come to see us very quickly and as far as I remember we have not even been asked to settle the bill for this. In addition the hotel has been following up with extra amenities, card and conversations. The Aman-i-khas doctor was funny, however, he only talked with my husband instead of with me (the patient), but I guess that was a cultural thing.

Only once did I experience that the hotel was unable to help the way we wanted. That was at another FS where the on site nurse, after having heard about our son`s eys that had a small problem (which we knew well from experience with similar problems), did not want to give us the adress of a good pharmacy but rather wanted to more or less call an ambulance to go to the nearest hospital (45 minutes by car). Insted we found the pharmacy ourselves and got a well known cream to fix it. I guess they were afraid of being sued if they gave the wrong advice even though we made it clear that we knew my son`s problem well and did not need a hospital.
Old Mar 14, 19, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Musken View Post
Oh, poor you. Hope you are well now.

Only once did I experience that the hotel was unable to help the way we wanted. That was at another FS where the on site nurse, after having heard about our son`s eys that had a small problem (which we knew well from experience with similar problems), did not want to give us the adress of a good pharmacy but rather wanted to more or less call an ambulance to go to the nearest hospital (45 minutes by car). Insted we found the pharmacy ourselves and got a well known cream to fix it. I guess they were afraid of being sued if they gave the wrong advice even though we made it clear that we knew my son`s problem well and did not need a hospital.
One FS we were at went and got the creams I needed. A case of being too over cautious I guess with that property.
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Don't have the energy to write out whole story but 4 seasons Kyoto absolutely amazed our family with their support and processes when my wife broke her leg there. Could not have asked for better service.
Old Mar 14, 19, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Wife got some sort of stomach bug at Amantaka a couple of years back, which they took care of with grace. Doctor came to the room within the hour, medication prescribed, activities cancelled last minute, etc. Nothing ground-breaking but it's always nice when something goes wrong to not have to think twice about the next steps.
FlyerEC and Aventine like this.
Old Mar 14, 19, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop View Post
Wife got some sort of stomach bug at Amantaka a couple of years back, which they took care of with grace. Doctor came to the room within the hour, medication prescribed, activities cancelled last minute, etc. Nothing ground-breaking but it's always nice when something goes wrong to not have to think twice about the next steps.
I think Aman can handle unfortunate incidents with dignity and grace based on what I've heard on FT.
callmedtop and FlyerEC like this.
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
I think Aman can handle unfortunate incidents with dignity and grace based on what I've heard on FT.
My SO gashed open her ankle on a sharply pruned plant while we were hiking around the island at Amanpulo. I was surprised to find that they had a doctor on the island. Her injury was handled competently and with care. This same SO also tripped on the way back to our room at FS Hualalai. Those scrapes were also handled deftly by the medical staff.

I wouldn't recommend stepping on a sea urchin at the so-called beach of FS Hualalai. The hotel just calls security and the security people give you some ointment. And they laugh ... hard ... along with everybody else on the beach.

Edit -- This same SO also had a small issue at the Great Wall ...
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:34 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Some
Well, itīs not the thread with the beautiful pictures. Being ill is never a nice Thing but it happened to me and my family in the past, "winner" is my brother who broke his finger in the hotels Gym. From my experience they try to make your stay as good as possible as they offer (light) medicine, tee or whatever. But mostly the stay is ruined.