Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Sri Lanka - Where to Stay ?

Old Mar 13, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

I did a search on "Sri Lanka" which did not yield much.

I am planning a trip to Sri Lanka and deciding where to stay. The plan would be to stay a few nights in Colombo - the Shangri-La seems to be the best in town. When you get outside of Colombo, it seems to be mainly small boutique hotels. We're thinking of somewhere to stay in the Cultural Triangle and in Galle. I know there are some Amans there but I've been lead to believe from reading that there are some true hidden gems in terms of luxury boutique hotels. Appreciate your thoughts ... Thank you.
Old Mar 13, 19, 8:20 am

In January I had stays at the Shangri-La Colombo, Amangalla, Amanwella, and Ceylon Tea Trails. Tea Trails was the most amazing experience of the four. The Shangri-La wasn't anything to write home about, but hit above its weight compared to other hotels of the chain I have stayed at. Galla has a beautiful hard product and the service is quite good. There are some drawbacks to the property, but in the end I enjoyed my stay. Wella is a beautiful property in a beautiful setting. The hard product is decent, but the activities and great service really made the stay.
FlyerEC and Braniff like this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 8:34 am

I certainly agree with MicSanToro about Ceylon Tea Trails. For us, it was hotel perfection. You have a choice which bungalow you fancy or you can divide your time between more than one of them. Getting there is a choice between an interesting if tiring road/train combo or a seaplane from Colombo Airport which can take you on to other places.

In Galle, I think Amangalla is the best option - we stayed nearby at the Galle Fort and while it had bags of character is also had a lot of weaknesses. A third of the price, though. For beaches we stayed at two places on the west coast, both of which deserve your consideration - Saman Villas and Calamansi Cove. Amazing beaches at both places.

I don't personally think Colombo warrants a long stay. I thought the newishly restored Galle Face was the best choice these days.
FlyerEC and Braniff like this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
I just got back from Sri Lanka. For the Galle area I would highly recommend KK Beach on a beautiful stretch of beach about 20 minutes outside of Galle (but near enough to dip in and out). Highly personal service and excellent food. I have previously stayed at Amangalla and, while I enjoyed it, a couple of days in that location would be enough for me - the beach is much breezier and more comfortable. This time we had dinner at the Galle Fort hotel and the food was shockingly awful.
Braniff likes this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

try searching "lanka" with results by post (not thread) as there is tons of discussion here. tea trails is resplendent ceylon. theyre opening Sigiriya in cultural triangle but currently says "end 2020"

there is discussion of boutique properties in colombo.
Braniff likes this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 12:41 am

I helped a friend with an itinerary last year (Summer 2018) and this was the list of hotels to be considered. I still have a second list with a few extra hotels but would have to find it.

The following suggestions are for an itinerary where you would skip Colombo (which is quite fare from the airport) and drive up to Negombo right away. This allows you easy access to the Golden Triangle.

CMB-Negombo:
Lagoon Resort Sri Lanka | Jetwing Lagoon Negombo | Official Site

Not a luxury hotel but Geoffrey Bawa design and there's not much luxurious in that area anyway.

Golden Triangle, Anuradhapura
https://www.ugaescapes.com/ulagalla/

North-East coast, Trincomalee
https://www.ugaescapes.com/junglebeach/

Golden Triangle, Sigiriya
The Elephant Corridor - Luxury hotel in Sigiriya

Kandy
Ellerton | A boutique hotel high in the hills above Kandy

Hill Country
Bungalows in Sri Lanka | Tea Trails | Luxury Holiday

Yala National Park
https://www.ugaescapes.com/chenahuts/

Yala Hotels | Wild Coast Tented Lodge Yala | Official Site

South-East coast
https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanwella

Weligama Hotels | Cape Weligama | Official Website

This itinerary ends with a few days on the beach but you could easily add Galle (Amangalla) before heading back to CMB.

Transportation: private driver, train Kandy-Ella or vv (a well-known and rather iconic journey), Sri Lankan airtaxi - Cinnamon Air.

Let me know if you would need any further information.
Braniff likes this.
Old Mar 18, 19, 1:25 am

If Kandy is on your itinerary, then a place for dinner is https://londonerinsydney.com/could-h...-in-the-world/ DO NOT be beguiled into staying there however, no matter how incredible it looks when you get there - the rooms are dreadful, but it's an absolute must-see for drinks and dinner. English eccentric doesn't even begin to describe it, but it's truly a work of art.

Respendent Ceylon probably have the best properties in Sri Lanka; Tea Trails and also Wild Coast Tented lodge and Cape Welligama.
Braniff likes this.