Wiki Posts
Search

Rosewood Miramar Beach Montecito - Now Open

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SPG
Rosewood Miramar Beach Montecito - Now Open

I visited the new Rosewood Miramar Beach Montecito property today. I live in the area and the occasion was lunch with friends. We did take the opportunity to walk around the property and get an idea of what it might be like as a guest. As for our lunch it was not spectacular. The all day restaurant is was the only option. Called Malibu farm the food was fine but the service not so much. They ended up comping our bottle of wine as we waited over 30 minutes for a couple of sandwiches and a salad. I am sure they'll work the kinks out.

The property is pretty spectacular. Upon entering the "manor house" your eyes are drawn through the living area to the terrace. From here you have a nice view across a lush lawn with the ocean front bar and the ocean visible in the distance. On either side of the lawn are the family pool and adult pool. Malibu Farm is here on the terrace. Inside the building is the manor bar (clubby formal, very nice looking but empty this afternoon), GwynethPaltrow's "Goop" shop, as well as the gym on the western end of the building with cardio equipment on a covered patio.

Heading out across the lawn you'll encounter the railroad tracks that bisect the property. The crossing is manned by a guard who will let you across when it is safe. The intention of having a guard is so that the train need not sound its horn as it approaches. The problem is that about 100 feet to the east is a crossing for which they must sound the horn. Long story short (I will post video if possible) the train does make a fair amount of noise. That said we heard guests comment that the ocean front rooms can barely hear it; a testament to the sound proofing of the construction. At train level, but beach side, you'll find a beautiful bar overlooking the ocean. One level down is Caruso's the fine dining restaurant with large booths indoors and a large covered/heated deck for beach front dining.

The overall impression I got was that the resort is very well done with all the details one would expect of a Rosewood property (note I did not see the rooms). That said, I think that time will tell us that room selection might be pretty important here. It appears that there are rooms above the manor house. These rooms should have some ocean view and enjoy the view over the lawn and the two pools. Yes, you'll have dining below you with some clanking dishes. But if on a budget this would be my first choice. The beachfront rooms look to be spectacular but at $1700 for a week night in May seem a bit pricey. However, if the budget allows these are, obviously, the best in the house. To the west of the manor house (the mountains are north in Santa Barbara and the freeway runs east/west notwithstanding the signage that says north/south), are the cottages and the "lanai" buildings. The lead in Lanai category rooms (which are currently priced at $1000 for a weeknight in May) are close enough to the freeway that you'll hear the din while on your veranda. These two story buildings overlook a cluster of cottages. And while the cottages might be some of the largest rooms they felt too close together to me with patios that had zero privacy. I felt like I was walking through a housing development not so much a luxury hotel. That said, I am sure the interiors are beautiful. It is just that this area of the property (Lanai buildings and the cottages) lacks the openness that one first experiences overlooking the main lawn area. I am sure that they will work well for some people, but you'll always wish that you booked a beach front room.

They certainly have some kinks to work out but the property overall is beautiful. It will be interesting to see if the current rates hold up over time. I am not an expert on all of the competition but at this price the world is your oyster. I will be curious to see some first hand reviews from those who have traveled here to stay.

Family Pool

Family Pool

Adult Pool

Last edited by peter11; Mar 9, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

A couple of more photos

damon88, dylanc and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:03 pm
Original Member

Thanks for commentary and photos. Looks promising yet that is an exceedingly unimaginative pool.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

I guess you can't upload video here. But this is what it looks like when the train comes through. First without the train and then the same shot with it.

damon88, dylanc and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

The Woodie golf cart is cute.
KatW and aa213bb like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The Woodie golf cart is cute.

Made by Fiat!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by peter11
Inside the building is ... GwynethPaltrow's "Goop" shop ...
This, alone, is reason enough never to set foot on the property. My tolerance for snake oil and pseudoscience quackery is nil.
RoxyMountain likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aa213bb
This, alone, is reason enough never to set foot on the property. My tolerance for snake oil and pseudoscience quackery is nil.
I really hope this stays at this Rosewood and doesn't propagate further.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Agreed regarding the quackery but I still will try the property whilst avoiding goop on my shoe.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Seems a bit over the top reason not to visit. I know nothing about goop and frankly could not care less. I think they let her have the shop, in part, because she has a home here. That said, the marketing machine behind these things may very well result in it being everywhere. If I were picking a reason not to visit, it might be because of the train or because there are so many compelling places to visit at this price point. Miramar beach is pretty nice though for a So. Cal beach.

Edit: Just googled Goop.....seems it is a whole lifestyle brand? I guess she's trying to become the next Oprah?
obscure2k likes this.

Last edited by peter11; Mar 10, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by peter11
Seems a bit over the top reason not to visit. I know nothing about goop and frankly could not care less. I think they let her have the shop, in part, because she has a home here. That said, the marketing machine behind these things may very well result in it being everywhere. If I were picking a reason not to visit, it might be because of the train or because there are so many compelling places to visit at this price point. Miramar beach is pretty nice though for a So. Cal beach.

Edit: Just googled Goop.....seems it is a whole lifestyle brand? I guess she's trying to become the next Oprah?
Goop is Gwyneth Paltrow and she purveys both dangerous and innocuous crap. Oprah is much less problematic.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:50 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We’ll be in Santa Barbara while staying nearby at the RC Bacara in Goleta in late April for our wedding anniversary. Will be sure to drop by and take a look and perhaps get lunch here—if the reports suggest it’s getting better, at least!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by KatW

Goop is Gwyneth Paltrow and she purveys both dangerous and innocuous crap. Oprah is much less problematic.
There is a Goop shop at the Brentwood Country Mart in the Brentwood neighborhood of Los Angeles. The Country Mart is a family friendly place which has been there for at least 50 years. Next to the Goop shop is a barbecue take out chicken place. Across the way is a book shop, candy shop, Mexican take-out. I have been in the shop a couple of times and it is not selling that "dangerous and innocuous crap." She is selling mostly boutique items, such as cosmetics, costume jewelry, casual clothing, etc. It is the kind of boutique one would find in many communities. I surely would not avoid the Brentwood Country Mart because Paltrow has a little brick and mortar shop any more than I would avoid the Miramar for the same reason.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by obscure2k
There is a Goop shop at the Brentwood Country Mart in the Brentwood neighborhood of Los Angeles. The Country Mart is a family friendly place which has been there for at least 50 years. Next to the Goop shop is a barbecue take out chicken place. Across the way is a book shop, candy shop, Mexican take-out. I have been in the shop a couple of times and it is not selling that "dangerous and innocuous crap." She is selling mostly boutique items, such as cosmetics, costume jewelry, casual clothing, etc. It is the kind of boutique one would find in many communities. I surely would not avoid the Brentwood Country Mart because Paltrow has a little brick and mortar shop any more than I would avoid the Miramar for the same reason.
Au contraire:
Goop was fined $145,000 for its claims about jade eggs for vaginas. It’s still selling them https://www.vox.com/2018/9/6/1782692...row-settlement

7 Terrible Health Tips from Gwyneth Paltrow
https://www.businessinsider.com/gwyneth-paltrow-goop-bad-health-advice-2016-5/?r=AU&IR=T

Goop Reported to British Regulators over Potentially Dangerous Products
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8606151.html

Goop faces new false advertising claims
https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...rtising-claims

The scientists calling Tom Brady and Gwyneth Paltrow's bluff
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42912720

Goop is the opposite of Empowering -- it promotes fear
https://graziadaily.co.uk/celebrity/...oop-criticism/

It is a highly unfortunate choice for Rosewood to make. I am surprized their Management did not research this decision more carefully. And if it did do its due diligence, then I am disappointed and consider it a black mark against the brand. I probably will book there at some point but I will avoid Goop and include its presence in my feedback to mgt and elsewhere.

As for avoiding the Brentwood Country Mart for permitting the presence of Goop, it is an intentional commercial venue for retail stores. Rosewood is in the hospitalty business. Their inclusion of the Goop store comes close to endorsement.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by KatW; Mar 13, 2019 at 6:32 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

curious whether hotel management contracts ever discuss commercial spaces

hotel owner >
caruso.com/about/our-team
prnewswire.com/news-releases/rosewood-miramar-beach-opens-its-doors-as-californias-most-luxurious-beachside-retreat-300805033.html
One-of-a-Kind Resort Retail
Hand-selected by Rick Caruso, goop occupies a brick-and-mortar retail space at the resort alongside The Gatehouse, a new California-inspired concept store curated by designer James Perse. The goop Sundries Shop at Rosewood Miramar Beach, which is the brand's first permanent hotel retail experience, combines goop-approved favorites in clean beauty, wellness, athleticwear and resort fashion with elevated beach essentials for travelers. Extending beyond the Sundries Shop, each guestroom at Rosewood Miramar Beach will feature a minibar offering an assortment of goop curated items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.