Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food and drink prices at Velaa Private Island, Maldives

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Food and drink prices at Velaa Private Island, Maldives

Can anyone give me some idea of food and drinks prices at Velaa private Island in the Maidives i.e. the price of a G&T, beer,wine, champagne etc and lunch/dinner pricing.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:43 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Personally I found it very overpriced and this was one of my big problems with Velaa. I do understand that The Maldives is expensive but here are a few meals that stood out to me.

And ordinary lunch of pizza, pasta, ice cream, one glass of wine and a coke came in at $300
A tasting menu at the Japanese restaurant about $800 and similar in their fine dining restaurant. This is more than we've paid for a multi-course menu at three Michelin starred restaurants in London / Paris / New York.

Yes, it was good quality but not on a par with a two or three Michelin starred restaurant.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
Personally I found it very overpriced and this was one of my big problems with Velaa. I do understand that The Maldives is expensive but here are a few meals that stood out to me.

And ordinary lunch of pizza, pasta, ice cream, one glass of wine and a coke came in at $300
A tasting menu at the Japanese restaurant about $800 and similar in their fine dining restaurant. This is more than we've paid for a multi-course menu at three Michelin starred restaurants in London / Paris / New York.

Yes, it was good quality but not on a par with a two or three Michelin starred restaurant.
Sounds much too expensive.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:26 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Breakfast is included in the price if eaten in the restaurant but one morning we had an early flight and ordered it in the room. We were charged $130 for porridge, omelette, fruit and coffee.

We also avoided any excursions or activities due to extortionate prices. All we did was use the spa.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

that is offensive pricing
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by reigndrop
that is offensive pricing
Yes, even if one is accustomed to high prices at hotels and resorts, that definitely is egregious price gouging. At this price point, I would rather have the room rate be increased and be charged fair prices - or at any rate less offensive prices - than feel like a victim of price gouging.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:39 am

That is just crazy.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:12 am

Whilst the prices at Velaa were/are incredibly high, Cheval Blanc is no different. It's not a unique situation within the Maldives. We went to one after the other last year, and I do not feel it's a coincidence that their prices are remarkably similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.