Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Appreciating and leveraging services, benefits and amenities

Appreciating and leveraging services, benefits and amenities

Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some people are allergic to flowers, so hotels shouldn't automatically place them in rooms or bathrooms.

Sunscreen and mosquito repellant are thoughtful touches. Even though most people have their own favorite brands, the backup is nice when you forget to bring these items or run out during a stay.

I've stayed in hotels that had some kits for those whose luggage is lost. They're a luxury version of what some airlines distribute when you report that they lost your checked bag.

I like having a few desk supplies, such as post it notes, paper clips, bionder clips, a small stapler, paper scissors, and tape, although I realize that they would be irrelevant for the paperless office crowd.....and of course electric outlet adaptors, device charging cords, and extension cords depending on the outlet situation in the room.

If paper and pen are provided---and they should be---they should be beautiful/elegant/high quality.

Housekeepers should never rearrange my stuff, including items on the desk, nor should they thoughtfully put anything away (hide the umbrella?) that I have deliberately put in a prominent position to remind myself to do something or not forget the item. Similarly, I like my shoes and slippers to be visible and not hidden under a luggage rack or placed in some closed that I didn't plan to use. Also, don't hit the master light switch as I might be recharging electronics or not want to wrestle again with a complicated TV setup to find the channel I want.

It's fun when the hotel provides a bath toy such as a rubber ducky. There are some creative/artistic versions available in certain museum shops. It also looks pretty when towels are artistically arranged (but not the way some cruise ships do for kids with the animal towels) or tied with an elegant ribbon or golden rope. I've also seen toilet paper done beautifully, far beyond the usual fold to a point. In parts of Asia, I almost expect the origami animal next to the "your room was prepared by housekeeper XXX" card.

I want the personal linen bedside rug, and if the hotel doesn't supply one, I sacrifice a towel for this purpose.

I like when hotels invite guests (me!) to management receptions, although I understand that this can be a nuisance obligation for certain staff. It needs to be well done, in a pleasant place with reasonable numbers of people. It can be used as a way for the hotel to show off some of its F&B offerings (just like outstanding lounge food can make a good impression and encourage me to eat in hotel restaurants or even hold events at the property).
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

It's fun when the hotel provides a bath toy such as a rubber ducky. There are some creative/artistic versions available in certain museum shops. It also looks pretty when towels are artistically arranged (but not the way some cruise ships do for kids with the animal towels) or tied with an elegant ribbon or golden rope. I've also seen toilet paper done beautifully, far beyond the usual fold to a point. In parts of Asia, I almost expect the origami animal next to the "your room was prepared by housekeeper XXX" card.

I want the personal linen bedside rug, and if the hotel doesn't supply one, I sacrifice a towel for this purpose.

I like when hotels invite guests (me!) to management receptions, although I understand that this can be a nuisance obligation for certain staff. It needs to be well done, in a pleasant place with reasonable numbers of people. It can be used as a way for the hotel to show off some of its F&B offerings (just like outstanding lounge food can make a good impression and encourage me to eat in hotel restaurants or even hold events at the property).
I'll take a pass on management events. Give me the Executive chef preparing delicious off-menu dishes for me any day of the week.

FS Seoul is good at this in their lounge.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Basically I hate anything that clutters a room - and that includes almost everything on Musken's list. Flowers, fruit and snacks etc tend to be politely removed on arrival and we ask that nothing is delivered to the room at turn-down, apart from basic bathroom stuff. I also dislike those awful magazines that get in the way, so those get dumped immediately.
That's not what the majority prefers I guess including me. But that's also part of the luxury-game to cater every preference. Do you tell them in advance?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Part of my booking arrangements includes $100 for flowers in the suite.
LinLant likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
Part of my booking arrangements includes $100 for flowers in the suite.
What a wonderful idea!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Easy to use Coffee machine with great selection of coffee ( and actually taste good )
Valet Box
A true master-switch by the bedside that turns off every light in the room
Comfortable Lounge sofa chair
Free mini-bar
Welcome amenities that are actually decent ( otherwise don't bother )

Dislikes

No proper work desk
Promotion pamphlets in room to promote the hotel restaurants + spas etc..
Tiny shampoo and shower gel bottles that are hard to squeeze out
Low water pressure
Suites that end up feeling smaller than rooms because of excessive partitioning
Insufficient plugs

Hates

Tiny hotel safe that I cannot even put my laptop inside
Poor sound-proofing and noisy room
Slow or non-functioning internet
Non-functioning air-conditioning
Reading lights that are excessively bright
Never answer phone calls for service even after repeat tries
lb8001, janehoya, MareLuce and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:42 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Housekeepers should never rearrange my stuff, including items on the desk, nor should they thoughtfully put anything away (hide the umbrella?) that I have deliberately put in a prominent position to remind myself to do something or not forget the item. Similarly, I like my shoes and slippers to be visible and not hidden under a luggage rack or placed in some closed that I didn't plan to use. Also, don't hit the master light switch as I might be recharging electronics or not want to wrestle again with a complicated TV setup to find the channel I want.

Oh yes, the rearranging game is awful!!! I put things back the right way and come back to find it rearranged AGAIN. Worst was at La Recidencia Mallorca. We had quite a job moving a large coffee maker to the bathroom for the next morning in order not to wake up our son when making morning coffee only to find it put back when we returned after dinner. Same, but not as irritating, is when they again and again roll the cable of the hardrier around it very tight and put it back in a bag instead of leaving it out when I clearly use it twice a day.

However, I have seen some hotels taking their "afraid of moving things" almost too far. Not changing a glass because there is a tiny sip of champagne left at the bottom of the glass, not trowing away garbage (empty box of of crisps or chocolate paper) because we left it outside instead of putting it in the bin.

Oh, and another nice thing is when a hotel really move away the extra bed during daytime so that the suite looks perfect and can be fully used during the day. Best was at Amanruya. I also think they should remove the stand for the suitcases when we clearly do not use it, that is if it is not hidden in a cupboard. Actually I do not understand the usage of such suitcases stands at all since I have a suitcase which is packed both in the top and bottom part.
FlyerEC, MareLuce and Altocumulus like this.

Last edited by Musken; Mar 3, 2019 at 11:23 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:28 am

Wink

Originally Posted by offerendum

That's not what the majority prefers I guess including me. But that's also part of the luxury-game to cater every preference. Do you tell them in advance?
No, I merely see what they do and then I ask them not to! I'm afraid an unripe banana and a packet of M&Ms does nothing for my self-esteem.
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Mar 3, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The musts:

Excellent air con--or there will be hell to pay. That's why I always confirm in advance in writing that the room/suite be guaranteed to achieve 67 F or cooler and be pre-cooled before my arrival. I always carry my personal thermometer to be sure and avoid unnecessary discussion, courtesy of the Prince de Galles.

Blackout shades. Sunshine should never awaken me. But I always have an eye mask just in case.

Bottled water, still or sparkling. As much as I want. We drink a lot of water.

24 hours room service. I don't know how people survive in a luxury environment without it. GrubHub and UberEats help in bigger cities, but 24 hour room service is essential in rural/remote locations.

The preferred:

Welcome amenity that I love: chocolate covered strawberries or cheese and crackers and you have my undying loyalty almost at that, fruit (only for my husband), wine (usually not to our standard, but we've been surprised), etc. Occasionally, we will get some amenity that blows us away that we'd never have expected: a celebration cake at the St Regis Florence, amazing sweets at Amangiri, or the most outlandish fruit and wine/cheese spread of all time at the Umaid Bhawan Palace.

Toto washlet. My bum is always so grateful. My husband, too, for other reasons.

Laundry service. It's nice to have, particularly if I'm packing lightly/carry on for a location that's warm. Otherwise, I tend to pack all that I need.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
re room service - anyone had success with special orders (not on menu) ?
I do it all the time. Omelettes are something I always can get as others have mentioned. I've had many pizzas that aren't offered on the overnight menu and gotten them after hours. I got noodle dishes I wanted at Amanjiwo. I've even gotten non-menu gazpacho a few times at the StR Punta Mita, StR Bahia Beach, and StR San Francisco!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.