Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Appreciating and leveraging services, benefits and amenities

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:45 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jonjparr
My stay list mainly has what others might consider to be inane things on there.
Examples:
- I detest sparkling water
- I like Robinsons Fruit & Barley Summer Fruit
- All the Nespresso pods need to be swapped for decaf ones
- I like chamomile tea (bud) but only when served with honey
- Extra towels / baby towels
- Bathrobes for my daughters

That's about it really - I'm pretty low maintenance!
curious how often they get many of these things right?

we generally ask for extra water and a smaller bathrobe for the SO but usually neither is there on arrival...
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Anantara Jabal Akhdar happily obliged when I asked for in room roasted lobster with lemon butter for my keto diet and it wasn’t on the menu.

I personally love it when they stock my room with tons of sparkling water and refresh the rooms when you don’t have to ask / when they know you’re not there (during breakfast, pool, dinner etc.)
KatW likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10

we generally ask for extra water and a smaller bathrobe for the SO but usually neither is there on arrival...
What properties have screwed up extra water and a size small bathrobe?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great examples of service

anyone been impressed with handling of a request that is less typical ?

Originally Posted by Aventine
I appreciate a full sized refrigerator on long term stays. PH Toronto, GH Dubai were both good enough to provide one. FS Dubai didn't have one
what do you mean by full size? agree re longer stays. i'd like a kitchen, but can be expensive

having fridge etc has made me wonder what typical power capacity is in luxury hotel rooms
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10

It depends on the hotel and it is hit and miss. From our last few stays:
-45 Park Lane, Coworth Park, The Lanesborough: 100% correct every time on arrival
-Chateau Saint-Martin & Spa: coffee correct, no tea, no Robinsons, extra baby towels & bathrobe correct
-Peninsula Paris: coffee correct, tea correct, no Robinsons, no extra / baby towels, had to ask for bathrobe
-FS Surfside: coffee correct, no tea, no Robinsons, extra baby towels & bathrobe correct
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great examples of service

anyone been impressed with handling of a request that is less typical ?

what do you mean by full size? agree re longer stays. i'd like a kitchen, but can be expensive

having fridge etc has made me wonder what typical power capacity is in luxury hotel rooms
At least 400 or 500L.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I appreciate a full sized refrigerator on long term stays. PH Toronto, GH Dubai were both good enough to provide one.
At least 400 or 500L.
can be very convenient for some of us

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 1, 2019 at 11:51 am
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There should be nice big mugs, espresso cups, and beautiful tea cups and saucers to go with the coffee and tea.

I like to have multiple bathrobes, such as a very lightweight one and a thick warm terry robe. It's also nice to have an extra one to wear to/from the pool at a property where this would be appropriate. I don't want to get into a robe that stinks from chlorine or is a bit dirty after taking a shower. Similarly, when I've worn slippers near the pool, I want a fresh pair to use in my room after a bath or shower. One of my pet peeves with bathrobes is when housekeepers tie the belt around the robe but don't put the belt through the belt loops, so that when you start to wear the robe, the detached belt inevitably falls onto the floor.

It's a nice touch when turndown service includes a bit of something to read (Raffles has some short stories, printed on thick paper, many of which are related to the history of Singapore and/or Raffles) and the little card with tomorrow's weather, like some (former) Orient Express hotels do.

Where something appropriate is available, I like to have a book on the history of the hotel.

It's somewhat unrelated to luxury, but I like to have the thick printed hotel services book somewhere in my room or suite, including phone extensions within the hotel (I'm not a fan of just calling "service" for every request except in places where there's a language problem) and restaurant/bar/business center/etc. opening times and locations within the hotel. I also like to have the wine lists available versus having to call to request one if I'm contemplating room service or having to choose from a very abbreviated room service wine list.

Definitely luxury toiletries in small containers, including bar soap, matching shampoo, and bubble bath (or bath gel). Nevertheless, I always bring my own in case I don't like what the hotel has or if I'm faced with the big shared bottles attached to the shower wall, which IMO is the antithesis of luxury.

Decent glasses to use in the room. Sparkling water looks (and tastes) better in Waterford, and if a welcome bottle of wine has been delivered, I should be able to enjoy it in Reidl wine glasses of the right size and shape (or equivalent glassware).

KatW, lb8001, jp-mco and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
can be very convenient for some of us
The default Domenic minibar fridge in a lot of properties is pretty pathetic at cooling drinks or keeping anything in there.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I love pressing services, especially for business trips and tropical vacations for my linen dresses. Also, I may be in the minority on this, but when I order toast for breakfast from room service I also want a toaster. I can't stand cold soggy toast.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:15 pm

I like chocolates at turn down.
I loved the furry hot water bottles already placed between the sheets at turndown while at Sirikoi, although the first touch freaked me out!
I do love complimentary laundry while on Safari.
I love the communal dinners at lodges.
I loathe duvets.
I like triple sheeted beds with a cotton blanket inbetween.
I like A/C that gets the room cold.
I do like to have bars of soap.
I do like the trend of having black wash cloths.I don’t like seeing lipstick on my white wash cloth.
I like having a newspaper, or a printed news sheet in off the grid places.
I do like free mini bars and snack baskets.
I do like a tea kettle with assorted teas.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:04 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

What properties have screwed up extra water and a size small bathrobe?
Basically everywhere in the us, where the request means more as they tend to be stingy. FS in particular seems to be in love with one sized bathrobes that are much too small for an Asian build.

Granted, Hotel Bel Air fumbled at first but brought every bathrobe size and type they had and let us choose what worked best. A+ service recovery on that

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's somewhat unrelated to luxury, but I like to have the thick printed hotel services book somewhere in my room or suite, including phone extensions within the hotel (I'm not a fan of just calling "service" for every request except in places where there's a language problem) and restaurant/bar/business center/etc. opening times and locations within the hotel. I also like to have the wine lists available versus having to call to request one if I'm contemplating room service or having to choose from a very abbreviated room service wine list

I thought i was the only only one who prefers to have the info available versus asking for everything
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
. One of my pet peeves with bathrobes is when housekeepers tie the belt around the robe but don't put the belt through the belt loops, so that when you start to wear the robe, the detached belt inevitably falls onto the floor.
Ha! This is actually one of my 'luxury hotel or not' tests. Five star hotels usually don't bother to thread the belt through the loops, but luxury hotels do.
Fliar and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:16 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Coffee making facilities in room including fresh milk and sweeteners is a must, but please a quick coffee maker that does not wake up everyone else in the room.
Enjoy the Aman turn down gifts and even have a special place at home to display them, not a must but a nice touch,
Love free laundry even though I will always bring a ton of clothes anyway. Just love coming home with a suitcase full of clean clothes.
Love a welcome glass or better bottle of champagne. Not so much when it is delivered the last night
Loved it when we got fresh, still warm cookies in our suite at the Soho House New York (I guess they were meant for our son...)
Loved the concierge-butler service at the Siam.
Fresh tropical fruit, refreshed every day was great when our son was younger. Not so much needed anymore.
Free cookies, crisps and M&Ms was wonderful especially at the Legian villa, Bali.
In room dining where everything is brought and picked up in the right pace. Especially good at Lovina Beach, Bali and Trisara, Phuket.
Great off menu in room dining at Amankila (a Mexican feast for our son)
Very picky when it comes to flowers, but the Amankila ones placed outside is the most wonderful ones (what are they called again?)
Love the free afternoon tea at the Amans, many favourites here.
Four Seasons had great welcome and turn down amenities for kids (FS Marrakesh and Hong Kong were particularly good)
Amanbagh was AMAZING with regards to surprises in room, including a special ceremony and flowers/candels in room after dinner and a surprise in villa dinner with amazing flower decorations.
As long as there is a bottle of water and shower gel/shampoo/conditioner/after sun or body lotion I am happy. If needed a great mosquito repellient should be added.
Normally we prefer breakfast in restaurant, but the Amansara pre-breakfast before temple sightseeing every morning was wonderful.
If arriving at inconvenient meal times there should be more than just nuts in the pick up car or in room. Remember a very good in room food amenity when we arrived at FS Koh Samui after a 17 hour flight delay.
Turn down should always be done when we are at breakfast and dinner and in between when we are out.
Do not need slippers.
Love a good bathrobe
KatW and offerendum like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:04 am

Basically I hate anything that clutters a room - and that includes almost everything on Musken's list. Flowers, fruit and snacks etc tend to be politely removed on arrival and we ask that nothing is delivered to the room at turn-down, apart from basic bathroom stuff. I also dislike those awful magazines that get in the way, so those get dumped immediately.

However, I do use laundry services ( we travel lighter than light), I like slippers and bathrobes and I like our room being serviced during breakfast and after we've gone out to dinner. Oh, give me a decent internet connection and several power sockets within easy and practical reach and I'm happy. That's it.

Last edited by Pausanias; Mar 2, 2019 at 9:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.